Paint advice

zaskar

I've started building a couple of Metcalfe kits ready for building my first layout since I was a kid, 40 odd years ago!  I have to say I'm very impressed with the Metcalfe kits and find then an absolute joy to build. Anyway, I'm going for mid 50's era loosely based on North West UK area. 

I think the buildings should have British Railways maroon and would like to know the correct paint colour/code/manufacturer that I could use on a Metcalfe kit.

Many thanks

Metcalfe kits are cardboard. This means that most paints can be used on them. I would advise against the use of watercolours. I would use Scola artmix (which you can get in the newsagents) and mix my own colour from the paints I have. XYZ

I have been building quite a few N gauge Metcalfe kits for my TT:120 layout and really loving them.  I find acrylic either straight or watered down works well but remembering it is card, not using huge amounts of very thinned paint is a good idea. There is a slightly sealed surface that protects the open fibres. Getting the edges coloured is everything though😁

Yes, that's largely the extent to which I've painted them, with a bit of lichen here and there on roofs. IIRC, Metcalfe themselves recommend water colour though, as has been said, it probably doesn't do to water down too much.

• Like 1

I've not used a cardboard kit for decades but if you use acrylic as Rallymatt suggests I would think Humbrol RM2306 BR Maroon would be the most appropriate for barge-boards, drain pipes, guttering and any frame work. Window frames ought to be white or cream while canopy valences should be left cream, although supports would be maroon