Building the Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress

Tour de Airfix

7 minutes ago, Sailorman said:

Try using stretched sprue to rebuild them.  If they ae only struts and not loadbearing it should not be a problem.  Challenge yourself!

Oddly, I would normally have done just that, in a heartbeat! It would, I agree, have been relatively easy. I'm quite keen on repairing with sprue and wire, indeed one of the propeller shafts broke in fitting and so I've drilled, threaded and glued a length of fuse wire across the break and amazingly it still spins. 

I think, having just completed the Academy kit wheels down, and where its struts were so fine that they were broken on the sprue and I had quite a job to fix due to them being slightly load bearing, I thought 🤷‍♂️ I give up, someone wants me to build a B-17 wheels up and as this time Airfix, at least, is giving me this out of the box option, I'll go for it.

My issue now, is how to display it? What stand will hold that weight and still look good ... 🤦‍♂️

19 hours ago, SD45elect2000 said:

I just counted my B-17 stash. I have 43 of them ranging from the B-17C to the later G models from three different kit makers. All that's stopping me from building them is a lack of storage space for the completed models.

Randall

43 different B-17s is hard core! 

I was talking to a trade vendor at an IPMS show recently who told me he'd just bought someone's stash of 700 kits. The seller had worked out that if he built his stash at a breakneck pace of one kit a month, it would take him 58 years. That's assuming he didn't buy any more while doing so. 

Makes you think. 

5 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

Oddly, I would normally have done just that, in a heartbeat! It would, I agree, have been relatively easy. I'm quite keen on repairing with sprue and wire, indeed one of the propeller shafts broke in fitting and so I've drilled, threaded and glued a length of fuse wire across the break and amazingly it still spins. 

I think, having just completed the Academy kit wheels down, and where its struts were so fine that they were broken on the sprue and I had quite a job to fix due to them being slightly load bearing, I thought 🤷‍♂️ I give up, someone wants me to build a B-17 wheels up and as this time Airfix, at least, is giving me this out of the box option, I'll go for it.

My issue now, is how to display it? What stand will hold that weight and still look good ... 🤦‍♂️

Scale Aircraft conversions makes replacement metal landing gear for B-17s. I have used their product on other aircraft and was pleased with the result.

Randall

5 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

Edited by Ratch
Moved reply outside quotation

4 hours ago, john redman said:

43 different B-17s is hard core! 

I was talking to a trade vendor at an IPMS show recently who told me he'd just bought someone's stash of 700 kits. The seller had worked out that if he built his stash at a breakneck pace of one kit a month, it would take him 58 years. That's assuming he didn't buy any more while doing so. 

Makes you think. 

I have 1600 kits in my "stash" I guess it will be part of my estate ...

Randall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SD45elect2000 said:

I have 1600 kits in my "stash" I guess it will be part of my estate ...

Randall

Unless you live for another 133 years, in which case you'll have time to build all of them, at a rate of one a month. 

This is a nice build TDA got me thinking about doing some of the bombers I've got sitting in my stash if i can find somewhere to put them once I've built them.

paul

@paul71 oh my! I’m with you there. I have a 7 shelved IKEA glass cabinet with multiple 1:72 scale kits on most shelves but now have two Lancasters and a B-17 which have to have their own shelf each! What now worries me is that I have the new B-24 on pre order and where is that going to go? 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂

Just now, Tour de Airfix said:

@paul71 oh my! I’m with you there. I have a 7 shelved IKEA glass cabinet with multiple 1:72 scale kits on most shelves but now have two Lancasters and a B-17 which have to have their own shelf each! What now worries me is that I have the new B-24 on pre order and where is that going to go? 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂

I feel your pain.

Randall

• Thanks 1

Why would he want a whole runner? Just request the damaged part(s).

The Sprue is the gate where plastic is injected into the mould. the frame or runner allows the plastic to flow into the mouldings.

I’m all sorted guys, thanks @Captain.Glumbo .. I’m now very happy with my wheels up configuration and could very well have used all that spare sprue (which can’t be recycled - see separate thread 😉) to make a couple more struts should I have been that bothered but thanks, I do appreciate the suggestions ☺️ 

@Ratch , interestingly, when my Me410 canopy got damaged, the Airfix team did send me a whole new clear runner. I guess maybe they thought it was easier than sending just the part(s). 🤔

I guess it depends on the size of the runner. I can’t imagine the logistics of keeping bits of every kit, admittedly current ones, available for such things.  

One day I’m going to have to get to over to Margate and ask for a tour 😉