DCC Decoders for simple souls

Yelrow

With all this Bluetooth and Dongle things,, am I right in thinking that all new DCC fitted locos will come with new type decoders.  Asking cos I have No intention of moving from Elite, and RM. too old at 80, to learn New Tricks.  Just asking.

Hornby will be fitting HM7000 decoders as their 'standard' decoder. Sound fitted locos will be preloaded with the appropriate sound file at the factory. Non sound HM7000 decoders are not yet available so until they are there will be a transition period where both types may bein the shops.

From your perspective John, the only thing you need to be concerned with is that these decoders will behave like the ordinary decoders you are familiar with straight from the box. In reality that's all they are, ordinary DCC decoders which Hornby have tacked on a Bluetooth ariel.

No need to fear them John.

12 minutes ago, Yelrow said:

Tis ok for you youngsters, Steve,  Heather tells me I am 25 years behind the times.

That makes you 55, so well able to keep pace John.

...unless you are just seeing the Millennium bug that never hit us.

If you want to use Duette - stick to older bulletproof DC locos.

If you want to use chipped locos - use your Elite.

Don’t try to mix ‘n’ match trains (or indeed any tech) from different eras - it only ends in frustration or combustion - neither are recommended!

This suggestion is more for the benefit of others… your setup of separate tracks & separate controllers - shows that I am offering you several hundred eggs to suck! 😉

Edited by LTSR_NSE

Short version of answers:

- If you buy HM7000 DCC fitted, run with your Elite out of the box, nothing else needed

- If you buy HM7000 separately and fit it yourself, you must use the app to download the correct sound profile to it (no non-sound versions yet), then run with Elite. Very similar to using the HM | DC app with your 6010s

- If you want to run legacy (non-HM7000) decoders with the app, you connect the dongle to your Elite and away you go

Sir John, Thank you for your post.. As you may know I run both Dc and DCC.  Having Railmaster, and  Elite, my real. Problem, I suppose, is   Why do I need it. Just because everybody is jumping on BandWagon. I have  9  DCC locos, 6, of which have sound.  With over 100 DC, locos, i cannot go fully DCC, unless i sell them off. Not an option. Blue Tooth, is not really, necessary, as i have 3 Walkabout. Select Controllers.  Hence my post.

Yellow

The only reason I tried HM7000 was because I couldn't justify the cost of the expensive sound decoders . I have a few fitted with zimo and lenz sound decoders which came pre fitted but to be honest I really can't tell much difference in the sounds. I am not a fan of the speakers that hornby supply and always change them for esu speakers. I also have about 20 fitted with tts decoders regards John 

Sir John, Thanks Hornby sound bears no resemblance to MTH. Here you get Cab Chatter, driver talks to yard checker. Super quality, but again, at a price. I have bought nothing new for last few years.