2024 Scale Model Shows

Now that the new year is well underway, which scale model shows are you planning to visit? Would love to hear and see what Airfix gems you discover and if you manage to meet the Airfix boys! 

I was lucky to get to the South West Show at the Bovington Tank Museum at the beginning of February where I managed to have a bit of a chat with Dale Luckhurst, Head of Brand 😊

IMG_0655.thumb.jpeg.cd7ad42d3bd81fa4d9826fafff41a1cb.jpeg

It’s always great to see the Airfix stand as they always have their latest offerings all built and painted to a standard I can only dream of! 

IMG_0656.thumb.jpeg.e391b23d7491840fd1ca3a8211faad3a.jpeg

Where have you been, what have you seen and where are you planning to go next? 

3 hours ago, Dominic Thomas said:

My plan is to visit Perth for the Scottish event. 

Excellent! Can’t believe it’s in April when I’m not up that way until September! 🤦‍♂️ I can’t unfortunately justify an Exeter to Perth trip before then, so look forward to hearing how you get on. 

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

I will be displaying with the A&NVM SIG at MK Modelkraft on 25 May and SMW Telford 9 & 10 November.

Awesome, my old club was exhibiting at Telford this year. I was amazed as to how full on it was! I didn’t realise MK was back on … I missed the 2022 show and thought that was the last. A&NVM = Ageless and Nostalgiv Vintage Models? The gems from the past 👍

The weekend is almost here and I’m so looking forward to the Peterborough show. Being based down in Exeter it’s going to great to see a different collection of exhibitors and dealers. I naturally have a list of kits I’m in the market to purchase too 😊

IMG_0658.thumb.jpeg.65ec390ee162794b2f15225f1efdbdac.jpeg

Is anyone else going? 

Just back from the Peterborough Scale Model Show which returns to a new venue after a 3 year absence. It’s always a challenge setting up a new and unfamiliar site and I think Peterborough have done a great job relaunching this event and I hope they’ll be back next year with a number of lessons learned from this event. 

The number of exhibitors and traders was excellent and I can’t help thinking that the number of folk attending exceeded expectations as there was little space to move between and around tables. This made it quite challenging to both stop and study the exhibits and chat to club members. I did, however, enjoy the brief interactions I was able to snatch and managed to come away with the two model purchases I was hoping to make! 

My purchases were firstly Academy’s B-17 Memphis Bell which I’m going to use some after market decals to build a Thorpe Abbotts aircraft and display alongside my Airfix B-17G that I’m currently building. With Airfix having used Academy moulds for a number of their kits, I feel this is as close to Airfix and I can get until they produce this version of Fortress. The second kit should be of little surprise as it’s Airfix’s USAAF Bomber Re-supply Set. I’ve built the RAF set many a time but never this one, so will be interested to see how this goes together. 

Now looking forward to the next show which I think will be Yeovil in early April 😊

6C4F1B2C-9BEE-49CC-AC27-DB7F25ED8D32.jpeg

Reminds me of the time when I drove around the country to different air shows each weekend in the summer. 
The March (?) editions of the aircraft magazines were eagerly awaited to see the confirmed list so planning could begin. The long past Kodachrome days …..

• Like 1

The Mosquito Museum show which is on the 19th May and Essex Modellers on 28th July. After that I'm not sure, apart from Scale Model World in November. 

Edited by peebeep

IPMS exhibition in early April here in Malta .....for anyone who happens to be here.  Be Warned .....The standardhere is really high so it is well worth a visit.

Edited by Sailorman

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/03/2024 at 10:07, Tour de Airfix said:

Next date for the diary … 

IMG_0719.thumb.jpeg.d8b6eaf20628524d5ccc3aea9262fdac.jpeg

So Yeovil this weekend and Poole the week after … living the dream! 😁

IMG_1115.thumb.jpeg.4f6c0e3de6f3a8fd1e1eb41aafc4d782.jpeg

Is anyone else going to one of these or perhaps another if closer to home ?

1 hour ago, Tour de Airfix said:

So Yeovil this weekend and Poole the week after … living the dream! 😁

IMG_1115.thumb.jpeg.4f6c0e3de6f3a8fd1e1eb41aafc4d782.jpeg

Is anyone else going to one of these or perhaps another if closer to home ?

Clashes with Salute 2024 in London unfortunately.