First ever layout - Kirton Park

SimonF80

Delivery of the HST prompted me to get my rear end in gear and start laying out track based on my Anyrail plans. Actually a therapeutic process and when you see it in real life, you can visualise changes better. Like for example realising that only one set of turnouts on the loops meant once you changed track, you couldn’t get back. 

Plan is for the S&C station with bridge on the far left before turnouts. Engine shed on the sidings and then want a terminus style station on the right end. The radius 1 curves are redundant unless buy another turnout. And may need two more straights. 

Now for tackling wiring which is scaring me and not scaring me in equal measure. 

2ABB8567-7118-450E-9DC5-F42A708657E1.jpeg

3DA9C62A-AF96-419A-A4C0-0EAB5069A688.jpeg

• Like 2

I'd suggest you move the crossover at the top to the right of the point for the "branch", that way trains going into the branch can come off the inner line and get straight onto the branch and not have to do a full circuit on the "wrong road".

Edited by Hobby1707822967
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hobby1707822967 said:

I'd suggest you move the crossover at the top to the right of the point for the "branch", that way trains going into the branch can come off the inner line and get straight onto the branch and not have to do a full circuit on the "wrong road".

Thanks Hobby, it’s why I needed some other eyes on it as I’d not even thought of that. 

I’ve seen that inner 1st radius siding on Hornby’s track plans and it has always suggested to me that it needs resolving somehow or at least, a purpose. I’d continue it to become a neighbour to the other sidings that you have coming off the inside loop, at the very least. 

You could consider moving the curving siding to the other goods area. Use the LH point to create a headshunt and get the siding to run alongside the line and along inside of the main loop. I would extend the other sidings if you can, longer is always better with sidings. 

Thanks @Skelton Junction and @Rallymatt for the ideas too. Now got me playing with the plan again 🤣I think I understand what you both mean but I’ll map it out and share on here later. originally I wanted to elevate the section leading to terminus station but decided that might be beyond my skill set for a first layout. In my head I wanted bridges, tunnels, level crossings etc. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SimonF80 said:

...... originally I wanted to elevate the section leading to terminus station but decided that might be beyond my skill set for a first layout......

A wise choice in my experience. I did a raised section many years ago, followed a "Triang-Hornby" track plan. It ended up too steep though and only locos with rubber tyres would go up the incline. They do add an extra dimension to the layout though and at the stage you are at you could mock it up to see how you feel about it.

• Like 1

Inclines can work fine provided the gradient is workable with the locos you have and the planned rolling stock. Gradients on a curve add extra drag so that is something to be aware of and an often overlooked problem is the transition between the flat and the start/end of the incline (models don’t have suspension) As long as you consider these, keep everything well within what is possible, test and refine them, they can look and work great. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

often overlooked problem is the transition between the flat and the start/end of the incline

Transition is very important.

My method on 9mm ply tops was to saw-cut the upper and lower track-board alongside the track and gently bend the trackbed up to the slope angle (similarly at the top bend the trackbed down, then run a straight length of trackbed between the two transitions. It also pays to drill a 6mm hole at the end of each saw-cut before bending to preclude cracking.

Check with your longest vehicle at top and bottom to see how they handle the transition bend radius. Once happy it will work then place your track and secure to the trackbed.

Image gives an indication of a top of slope transition on my layout.

IMG_1783.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been a while but I’ve been making some progress and trying to integrate the very helpful suggestions. Underboard wired and the shunting area now updated with crossover added to allow run around and into the engine shed that will go there. 

and there may have been some class 43 running that took place just to test ☺️

Next job will be to glue track. I’ve taken it all back off as I like to work in sections and with a method. Don’t know if it’s the best way or not. 

0CA699EA-5BD3-4857-A3E4-4EBAE86DFA37.jpeg

95472CF1-92D8-49C5-A502-9EA3CA80D315.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s ’Testing’ not playing and it’s very very important (serious face)🤣 Glad you are having fun with your build. Take your time and work methodically, I think that’s how you are approaching it. Getting track right is worth the investment in time. 👍

• Like 1

Yea, I’m going with ‘slow and steady wins the race’ coupled with a lot of travel for work and a wife that thinks a dining table should be used for dining, not trains. Slightly unreasonable if you ask me 😂

Plus this is my first time doing this so I’m doing lots of learning, reading and understanding but you can’t beat just getting things done. I’ve managed point wiring (as a test) which I thought would be difficult and the satisfaction of that working was great! 

• Like 1