Tips to find locos in App?

Anyone got any tips on how to find locos in the App? With Engine Sheds growing, I'm finding the control screen upper selection "ribbon" harder to scroll across and find the loco I'm looking for due to a various reasons, mainly:

1) A larger number on locos to scan through

2) Greyed out text and images makes visibility harder (see example image below)

For now, I've added a sequential number to the description of each loco, so armed with a crib sheet, I can find it that way.

IMG_1307.jpg

I organised the engine shed numerically (drag and drop the locos to the required order). Then I set the locos to either active or inactive depending whether they are on or off the layout. Then hit the 'hide inactive' button.

Then only the locos you are using are then at the top of the screen in order in the ribbon.

I also use the following format for the loco description:

Full number/class/name/rly co./TXS or TTS

eg 4468 A4 Mallard LNER TXS

For my part, I habitually now use the Active/Inactive buttons in the “Locomotive Settings” screen, so that only those locos that are actually on my layout and working are then showing in the App top ribbon. That way, I don’t have my complete list of locos showing, only the ones I’m using at the time.

Thanks @SteveM6 & @Pendragon Sailing for the "inactive/active" tip, that does make a lot of sense.

I've now accumulated almost 100 locos in the Engine Shed, (I know too many!), have you noticed that for locos at the top of the list it can take a few seconds to change the text or switch from active to inactive when the app must do the "save"?

Yes, I had noticed some lag which the development team rectified at the last update. I'm at around 60 locos (not added any non sound locos so far) and it seems ok at that level.

I did see a comment the other day regarding an arbitrary value applied to in-app memory by the external developer so I suspect this will be adjusted in due course. I also think that as the system matures and users load up more and more locos, the capacity is being established. The question will be whether the capacity, if it has been restricted by the developer, can be expanded to cope with us kleptomaniacs.

5 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

... to cope with us kleptomaniacs.

Don't know what you mean :classic_laugh:.

I'm on the latest 1.3 ver of the app so it sounds like it needs the 'adjustment' you mention for this quantity of locos. Shall I drop George an email?

50 minutes ago, gilbo2 said:

I'm on the latest 1.3 ver of the app so it sounds like it needs the 'adjustment' you mention for this quantity of locos. Shall I drop George an email?

Not necessary as he is well aware of the memory problems stated earlier. Its a graphics thing eating memory which will be sorted. RM has a similar problem in that locos are restricted to groups of 64, which can only be 'active' one at a time. Nothing new to see, move along.

55 minutes ago, gilbo2 said:

As Rob says, it's all in hand. 

Android sometimes requires you to look for updates so just check in your account on the Play store from time to time. If there is nothing waiting you know you are on the latest release.