HOW MANY APPLE DEVICES CAN I USE

I recently up-graded my iPhone to a newer model and after I had transferred all data, apps etc from the old one I discovered that my HM7000 app and all the allocated locos had not only been transferred to the new phone, but were still on the old one. Not only that, but both phones still controlled locos on the layout, even though only the new one had a SIM card! 
Obviously I didn’t try to control one loco with both phones simultaneously, but finding I could use two devices was an interesting and potentially very useful discovery. So my question is: how many apple devices can I use on my layout? As I have some 40+ locos I’m working my way towards linking via HM7000, being able to distribute them over 3 devices (ie two phones plus an iPad) would be very attractive. Is this possible?

20 minutes ago, George-351466 said:

I recently up-graded my iPhone to a newer model and after I had transferred all data, apps etc from the old one I discovered that my HM7000 app and all the allocated locos had not only been transferred to the new phone, but were still on the old one. Not only that, but both phones still controlled locos on the layout, even though only the new one had a SIM card! 
Obviously I didn’t try to control one loco with both phones simultaneously, but finding I could use two devices was an interesting and potentially very useful discovery. So my question is: how many apple devices can I use on my layout? As I have some 40+ locos I’m working my way towards linking via HM7000, being able to distribute them over 3 devices (ie two phones plus an iPad) would be very attractive. Is this possible?

Short answer yes. Divide your fleet up amongst your devices to brst suit how you want to operate them.

The learned thinking behind you being able to control locos from both devices is because essentially Apple clones the old one to the new one at transfer, and the app only sees them as one device, so it thinks each app is the same app. Simply delete this locos from each device as required. Dual control is not advised as the decoder will not know which one to comply with. The old phone still works without a sim card as it is using bluetooth, not your data network to talk to the decoders.

A word of caution. I would proceed carefully. I did what you are suggesting with an ipad and two iphones. I sometimes was able to use two devices to control a  loco at the same time . Sometimes I would control a the wrong loco( one I was not linked to with that device) It happened at random with a variety of the 20 different locos on the system.  None of this should be possible but it went on for months. At first it was interesting and I videoed it for George but later became a complete pain.

In order to get out of it I had to practically start again by unlinking everything and moving all the locos onto two devices only an ipad and an iphone.

My suggestion is before setting them all up try using 3 devices with a small number of locos on each. Good Luck

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2024 at 19:08, Kristian-353752 said:

I have used 2 apple devices at once with no problems having divided the fleet between them. It helps keep 2 children happy at the same time. I did make sure that the locos are only on one device.

How do you get two iPhones to both link to one TXS decoder?

1 hour ago, WilliamDavid said:

How do you get two iPhones to both link to one TXS decoder?

If you buy a new phone and transfer all your phone data to it you end up with a cloned phone in every way, including two identical loads of the app and its linked decoders.

The procedure whilst common when changing over an old phone to a new one is not recommended as a back door method to gain dual control of the same loco from different devices.

This handover is phone and platform dependant, some clone, but some only copy across.