Hornby and Peco DCC

Hello Alan

Track selection might just be orthogonal to DCC selection.  That is, one really doesn't affect the other.  Choosing Peco track or any other, does not affect your choice in DCC or vice versa.

Think of it this way: the track rails are nothing more than two wires which bring the DCC signal to your decoders.  Does it really matter which brand the metal is? All metal track will conduct the signal. 

Peco track itself has a good reputation.  You will do well with new.  As I recall, you were bidding on some older used track.  You will have a better experience with new track.  Less troubleshooting.  Fewer faults.  Better physical plant.  Better connectivity.

Bee

As Bee says, choice of track really has no bearing on use with DCC, other than Peco offer some of their pointwork as "Unifrog" design which is supposedly "DCC friendly" in terms of the way the blades are bonded to the running rails, and both routes through the point are permanently live.  The frog is metal but isolated, requires powering via a changeover switch linked to the tiebar or by using a "frog juicer" device. 
I've used Peco N track for decades, with almost exclusively Electrofrog pointwork since the 80s.  A live frog is always better for slow running of short wheelbase locos.
Personally I'd steer clear of second hand track and points especially, so much of it is ex-layout and damaged or contaminated.  I'd only ever consider as-new unused (ie. bought too much)

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Thanks 1

Peco track is brilliant, I use code 100. You have the option of more track pieces and points come in two types insulated frog or electrofrog which has no dead spots because of the plastic frog. I have used it for the last 30 years. The only negative is it age hardens, so avoid secondhand track. To be honest I don't know why people get so wound up with the difference between DC and DCC. You can wire your layout for DC and then just wire how many tracks you have together. My layout was originally DC with isolating sections and switches, all I did is connect all the positives together and all the negatives together and attach them to DCC. 

Edited by ColinB
  • Like 1