"Download PII Data" - is that Spam / fake???

JJ73

Hiya ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

Just got an Email about my PII Data is ready for download (what ever that is???)ย 

& it says it is from 'Hornby Hobbies Community' is that also real???

What should I do please??? ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿš‚

@JJ73 in your account -> account settings -> settings area -> security & privacy -> there is an option to request PII Data
(basically request a copy of all personal information that this forum holds about you.)

If you actually requested this infoย - then the download should be legitimate. ย Otherwise if the email address is not genuine, simply mark the email as spam/block sender & delete it.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 2

Go into your profile and see if you have allowed email notifications in any category. I have binned most of them else I would be swamped.

Invision is the new forum platform provider so likely the email is genuine as requested and allowed by yourself.ย 

If in doubt hover over an email address and the underlying originator will be seen. If it has a dodgy address different to the shown address then likely it is fake.ย 
ย 

As the email is about your PII data then as stated by LT you must have asked for it. I will ask Admin if there has been such a request as they are expected to be few and far between.

We are still looking into this as the data is only released upon request and so far there are several folk who are saying they never asked for it, but it is a simple button press to ask, whereas it should be a 2 stage trap - are you sure type of dialogue, with a please confirm.

I just requested mine out of curiosity about the process. One button press, no turning back. How many folk asked for it by mistake?

• Like 1

I imagine that if unsuspecting people clicked on the link (when new forum was introduced) expecting to receive an immediate download (when in reality it will obviously take time to collate) by the time it is available - the request will be a distant memory!

Amplifying my earlier post in the light of subsequent comments, I seem to remember the contact being on the basis of (or something similar) "your PII data is now available to view" and as the sender appeared to be genuine, I took the offer forward.ย  I do not recall feeling any breach of confidentiality had occurred and I was simply satisfying my curiosity as to what 'PII' information was.

There was a report some days ago about requesting personal data that 96Raf passed to Hornby to investigate.ย  Maybe this problem is something to do with that.

ย 

Seeย 

ย 

Edited by Rog RJ

Again Thank you all - Yeah like both Raf & LTSE said above - I do slightly remember pressing the "Request PII Data"ย Button, but as it took ages - I think that I must of forgotten about it!!! & didn't really understood about it - I think like Raf said above only pressed it just "out of curiosity about the process" & to see what data there is!!! ๐Ÿš‚

& oh yes - it is a One time thing only - meaning once you have down loaded it - if you want it again then you have to 'Re-request it' if that makes sence!!! ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿš‚

On 15/03/2024 at 21:18, JJ73 said:

But it come us as a :-ย This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿš‚

You can open xml files in Notepad . It will be in .xml format but you can easily pick out what data they list against your account. Very little.

XML is a tagged markup language.ย  It is a human-readable structured / nested representation of data, but if you open it with something like your internet browser that should give you at least some options to expand or collapse the structure and home in on the items you're particularly interested in checking.ย  Ignore any "this XML has no style" messages, you can still view the data ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Like 1