Fitting decoder to County class loco

RMRED

I have a "London Olympics 1908" train pack, circa 2012, which includes a 4-4-0 County class loco "County of Radnor"., which is still in its DCC eady state. (Recently bought "used" however its pristine!)

The instructions are a bit vague or this 73 year old, so could anyone help?

First of all, what is the correct decoder for this model?  (is it this one:  https://uk.hornby.com/products/standard-8-pin-decoder-r8249 )

Secondly, the instructions state that all tender bodies are clip fit, and to remove, pull the body upwards. However I can't remove the body on mine - is there a knack to this e.g. pressing in on the side of the chassis somehow?  Should I detach the tender from the loco, if so how?  (If there's a video clip somewhere, that I haven't yet been able to find, a link would be appreciated)

Thanks - Richard

The R8249 decoder will be fine.  As to how to access the decoder socket in the tender, body/chassis separation may be being prevented by the two metal handrails at the front which, from previous posts, may have been glued in place at the factory.  Without this complication, the body can often be removed by squeezing the front and rear panels thus springing the sides out from their retaining clips, or by inserting a thin flat screwdriver blade between the two at front centre.

As you suggest, this is probably better done with the loco and tender separated.  There probably is a 4-wire electrical connection between them, terminating in a white plastic plug which sits in a socket in the underside of the tender chassis.  Hornby offer a tool to extract this plug, X6468, as it is very easy to cause damage to the plug and/or wires trying to prise or pull it out.  When reconnecting, make sure the plug is the right way round.  The drawbar may be screwed at both ends or may just slip over a pillar at the front of the tender for easy separation.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Going Spare said:

The R8249 decoder will be fine.  As to how to access the decoder socket in the tender, body/chassis separation may be being prevented by the two metal handrails at the front which, from previous posts, may have been glued in place at the factory.  Without this complication, the body can often be removed by squeezing the front and rear panels thus springing the sides out from their retaining clips, or by inserting a thin flat screwdriver blade between the two at front centre.

As you suggest, this is probably better done with the loco and tender separated.  There probably is a 4-wire electrical connection between them, terminating in a white plastic plug which sits in a socket in the underside of the tender chassis.  Hornby offer a tool to extract this plug, X6468, as it is very easy to cause damage to the plug and/or wires trying to prise or pull it out.  When reconnecting, make sure the plug is the right way round.  The drawbar may be screwed at both ends or may just slip over a pillar at the front of the tender for easy separation.

Thanks for that, Shame the tool isn't included with the train pack!