Can’t find DCC decoder on Dummy Intercity 125 in eLink

IceIceAdy

I can’t find my DCC decoder on my Dummy car with eLink.

When I test the wiring on DC using a multimeter, I get a consistent result whether I’m going straight into my decoder socket or onto the wheels.

I’ve tried the DCC decoder on another train and the decoder can be found on eLink.

I’ve tried everything and I’m now at a loss as to what could be up with it. So seeing if anyone can help.

IMG_2220.jpeg

IMG_2223.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

Some (possibly most?) decoders need a current draw to be able to be read.  Since a dummy car has no motor - it cannot supply this.  The easiest solution is to either (if wanting separate addresses/settings) install both decoders in turn in the powered unit during setup & then transfer one to dummy afterward, or (if wanting same address/settings) place both powered & dummy units together on programming track & read/write to both simultaneously.

You can write to both decoders at the same time but what if you tried to read both. Imagine if they had different values set and you asked for them, how would the controller handle that. Just pondering.

On 17/03/2024 at 04:17, LTSR_NSE said:

Some (possibly most?) decoders need a current draw to be able to be read.  Since a dummy car has no motor - it cannot supply this.  The easiest solution is to either (if wanting separate addresses/settings) install both decoders in turn in the powered unit during setup & then transfer one to dummy afterward, or (if wanting same address/settings) place both powered & dummy units together on programming track & read/write to both simultaneously.

I can confirm that I’ve now tested this and it would appear that the decoder does require a motor in order to program.

I’ve now got the lights on the dummy car working correctly going forward and in reverse.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1