Direct speaker wiring to decoders - can it be done?

Am I the only one who has found that the little speaker connection enclosures on the HM7000 decoders are prone to breaking off - I even had one active that was new from a retailer (swiftly replaced, thank you Cheltenham Models).

Once off, they are impossible to re-fit, meaning that speaker connection is impossible via the small 2-pin plug. Probably my fault, but despite much care by me, swapping decoders from model to model (with attendant unplugging) clearly strains the socket fittings. So, can the speaker wires be soldered direct onto the decoder board and if so, would it to the two pads marked spk on the reverse side from the plug? I am competent with a soldering iron, so the job holds no fears, provided I get the right locations. Possible, or not? 

Yes you can do this - I have done it. I have only had one speaker plug come off, but it was an easy job - albeit with a steady hand🙂 It is the two pads on the reverse side of the decoder - under the position where the speaker plug would have been.

Edited by Bulleidboy
  • Like 1

Actually, I’ve just re-read the Manual on this topic and the following wording on page 21……

HM7000 8pin and Next18 sound have provision for connecting a loudspeaker on the decoder pcb in the form of solder pads and a two-pin socket. HM7000 with 21 pin connectors do not have free solder pads for speaker connection… speaker connection is made through the 21 pin socket in the usual way or via the dedicated decoder speaker socket. 

I believe that Pins 9 & 10 of the 21 Pin sockets are those assigned to the Speaker outputs (but please check the Manual for that)

Edited by Pendragon Sailing