LokSound following HM7000’s example

Clearly as a direct reaction to the free HM7000 sound files provided by Hornby, I now understand that ESU have released a large number of their LokSound 5 UK steam & diesel profiles, as free downloads from their website.  
Isn’t good competition a wonderful (and useful) thing ! 😃👍🏼

3 minutes ago, Pendragon Sailing said:

Clearly as a direct reaction to the free HM7000 sound files provided by Hornby, I now understand that ESU have released a large number of their LokSound 5 UK steam & diesel profiles, as free downloads from their website.  
Isn’t good competition a wonderful (and useful) thing ! 😃👍🏼

But you need a £140 programmer to load them onto a £100 decoder.

• Like 1

That’s very true Rob, but at least the files are now free!   

By the way, I wasn’t advocating switching to Loksound, merely that ESU were changing their approach by providing free downloads of UK sound files, presumably as a direct reaction to Hornby’s products.  😃👍🏼

12 hours ago, GMD said:

All we need now is for Hornby to develop a means of sideloading non-Hornby sound profiles onto the HM7000s…

That would need a whole new methodology unless Hornby took ownership of those alien files onto their server. That would require some trade agreement with ESU and likely a vice-versa arrangement for Hornby files. 

ESU could have released UK sound files years ago if Hornby had allowed them to list the files created for the Hornby Loksound equipped locos. Perhaps its no surprise that South West Digital - ESU's UK distributer has allowed their files - both V5 and V4 to be made available via the ESU website. Maybe the thinking is that this will drive sales of the Loksound units in the face of the 'apparently' well received HM7000 decoders.

29 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

That would require some trade agreement with ESU

Hornby are still using Loksound units in their International models so with open lines of communication to ESU there is no reason why agreements could not be reached.

I for one would prefer if Hornby first put some effort into re-blowing the Loksound files created for Hornby Int'l models and made these available as HM7000 downloads. At present there are a large number of Hornby Int'l files for ESU decoders that are not available as downloads via the ESU site or as HM7000 files. Since the announcement of the HM7000 there are a number of Int'l locos that have been released with Loksound files that must have been in production around the same period as HM7000 files. 

@ellocoloco

There was a note on the ESU archive site saying that certain British outline files were proprietary to the manufacturer (i.e. Hornby), hence they were not available to download.

Hornby says the ESU files would need total rework to be loadable onto HM7K decoders due to file structure and operating parameters (i.e which CVs control what).

International brands are starting to be listed 

IMG_1841.jpeg