Latest acquisition

Ratch

I'm just getting into modelling at 47 (after some poor attempts in my early teens!) so been buying some cheap kits to test with. I had wanted the bond bug but my local, Redcar Models & Hobbies, hasn't had it in when I've been.

Went to York on Monday so visited Monk bar model shop........ I left with the bond bug (and the LOVELY bright orange paint!) italeri - willys mb jeep, academy - light vehicles of allied & axis annnnnnndddddd...... The new airfix hovercraft that literally got delivered as I was shopping in the store!

Last week we were on holiday in Orlando & had a trip out to an antique mall. It was huge! Lots of Disney memorabilia obviously, including old Disney hotel & park fixtures & fittings, but I did find one stall which had model kits! There were plenty of kits I could have bought but I had to thing of space.

I did however buy 2 small old kits, a airfix focke wulf FW 190d (In a clear plastic tray with cardboard hanger/instructions) from 1973 & a pegasus supermarine spitfire f22/24 (in a plastic bag with cardboard hanger) from the 80s both just $5 each!

Trip out to metrocentre in Gateshead yesterday (wife & mothers idea! They also needed an ikea fix) so on the way up we had a detour to the north east model centre for the first time...... Wife's now banned me as it was too long a detour along country roads lol

Picked up a revell 1:1200 titanic (to make for the wife) for £8.99 & an airfix vintage classics jaguar 420 for £13.39.

My pick of the day though was when we got to metrocentre & in tk maxx they had a few revell 1:24 model T roadsters for just £12.99!!!

These are in with the Christmas gifting if anyone else is looking.

Hi John.

"What do you use to protect the ink on the decal? I have found that Klear dissolves printer ink run. Do you coat them before or after applying to the model?"

I usually coat the decals with liquid decal film using a brush although i have used Vallejo satin varnish with equally good results. With liquid decal film (It's made by the same people who make the Micro sol & Micro set solutions) just be careful not to over-coat too far from the decal edge otherwise you'll have to trim the extra film from around the decal. Once applied the decal can be sealed in the usual way.

Hope this helps. Remember we do this for fun. John the Pom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I have a bunch of those P-38s . My only suggestion is the get a set of quickboost resin engine cowlings to replace the incorrect engine covers. If I can do it anyone can. They really do look so much better.

Randall

Engine covers? Which bit is that? And what's wrong with it?

I have a bunch of those P-38s . My only suggestion is the get a set of quickboost resin engine cowlings to replace the incorrect engine covers. If I can do it anyone can. They really do look so much better.

Randall

Engine covers? Which bit is that? And what's wrong with it?

The kit engines are entirely the wrong shape.

forum_image_657cd4bb617dd.thumb.png.b9e9716d8819ff82613d3abafdb9f27d.png

These are the correct shape . I will refer you to the photos of my P-38 collection to see the results.

Randall

Hi,

I've recently treated myself to an MPM Fairey Albacore that I was lucky enough to find for only £22. Considering it is the only model, or at least the only vaguely modern one that I can find anywhere I'm really chuffed with that. I now have every Fairey the Britishers used in WW2 except the Gordon, which is prohibitively expensive (I'm trying to collect almost every plane we used in WW2 in 1/72 (although not every variant except two different MK's of Halifax Mk 3 and the one with the front turret) and Swordfish with floats and without). I also treated myself to the first RN Airfix Bucaneer of the current range again for 22 pounds (I'm only interested in the RN Phantom and SHAR out of jets).

For Christmas I'm getting a 'Sink the Bismarck' Swordfish and a Blenheim 1 (I only do 1.72). I only started collecting in September, but have been very busy, have over 40 kits and nearly every plane that I would like. Hopefully, it will all keep me going for years. It better do as I've sold lots of things to pay for them all. I'm currently experimenting with alternate FAA colour schemes, some of my own devising, for the prospect of doing almost every navy and FAA plane Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey, doesn't fill me with excitement. I'm currently making a Barracuda and have been quite experimental with four different camo colours, unfortunately two didn't go at all and i had to paint over them, but that seems to be the way with every plane I try and make or paint (not very well) as I learn. Things always go wrong no matter how much time i take, but I learn and get there in the end. Sorry for going on so long. The last before all that was a Handley Page Harrow, very exciting. All the best and Happy Christmas,

Richard :)