Difficulty with HST coupler

I see a number of threads on the MK3 couplers. I have no problem connecting the coaches together. The difficulty is with the engines.

With the other engines I have I can just reverse into a coach and they connect.

Is there a trick to it?

if I get magnetic couplers, would that help?

I found the Hunt couplings to be a loose fit (and pulling out) in both power cars but fine in all the coaches which doesn't make a lot of sense as you would assume the sockets are the same.

With the standard couplings, once connected, I had constant derailments. Definitely better running with the magnetic couplings (3 HST coaches + the 2 power cars) but still get the occasional derailment on R3 - especially when pushing. All ok on R4. The problem appears to be on the transition from the curve back to the straight.  All Hornby track and all Mk1's and steam locos run absolutely fine with no hint of track issues.    All kinetic coupling motions seem ok (although I did have to put a spring back - that was an eyesight test!). Close couplings now installed but it was the same with the longer ones.  Anybody else have derailment issues with the HST coaches?

I am having the same problem with the Hunt couplings just sliding out of the slots on both the power and dummy cars. Does anyone have a fix for this problem?