How is the HST on R2

taunmarc88

To those with a HST and Mk3, how do they run on Radius 2 curves? How are the couplings out of the box for both power cars and coaches? I currently have only radius 2 (making a ‘have a go’ small layout before committing to a big one) so I would love to know if it’s worth getting one yet. I had a gift voucher from work so I could use it towards a HST but only if it will actually run on my track!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I think the overhang will look a bit comical but luckily I haven’t attached anything around the track yet! Well it seems like a good idea to get the HST! Now I just have to decide which one…

29 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Surely it’s the GWR version for you? Or is it just the 800 in GWR green that you hanker for?

It’s difficult because I live in GWR territory but all three liveries have been on the tracks here, I’m old enough to remember swallow from my childhood so for me that is the classic version. I would love first great western liveries more if I’m honest though, I travelled on them the most. I doubt we’ll see them for ten years or more. I suspect they will refresh the HSTs every few years so it’ll take a while to come around.

Choosing a livery feels like a big decision when you factor in buying all the coaches too (just in case I get a long run of track I wouldn’t want to not have the whole train!)

• Like 1

My HSTs are the older models but in my experience they are fine on 2nd radius besides a little overhang. The bogies have a short wheelbase which works to their advantage, from what I've seen the more ridged larger CoCo diesels and more ridged steam engines are more likely to run into problems.

Keep in mind most locomotives (especially Hornby) will specify a minimum reccomended radius in the tech spec.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSE456 said:

more ridged steam engines are more likely to run into problems.

Keep in mind most locomotives (especially Hornby) will specify a minimum reccomended radius in the tech spec.

I have had my pacifics with coaches going around old Triang TT small radius curves which are tighter than Hornby R1 without any issues.

Thanks for the comments, it’s definitely going to run on radius 2 so it’s just a question of do I buy it now or later… I did think that yes it may run but I don’t have a long enough area to store even two coaches and two power cars 😂. So! I think I may wait a few months and put aside some cash with the intention of building an extension fiddle yard / station area that can store longer trains that then appear on the layout and run around the loop. Other option is complete this small layout and go bigger… 

@taunmarc88. I have all 3 HSTs and they run just fine with R2 track, last night I was running the Era 7 and the GWR with full rakes on both R2 and R3 track to test out the coaches. I could put some pictures here but I don't think it would help with your choice of which one. They all look nice 😂

I did had a little coupling issue with one of the Era 7 1st class coaches - it would not couple to the power car however I rotated it by 180 degrees and all was fine after that. The coupling issues with these coaches is discussed in a separate thread so I was expecting some sort of issue.

@PeterM67 Thank you for that response, it’s good to hear that you’ve really had a go and that the couplings have been okay! If I pulled a full rake it really would be chasing its tail! Of course this a tempting idea… Is the GWR full train as beautiful as I’m imagining it? I’ve seen loads of videos with the other two which look splendid but not many people seem to have bought the GWR one. Perhaps I should start saving more with the expectation that I will want all three 😂.

They coupled fine with the exception of the coach I had to reverse. However I did need to make sure they where coupled so a little hand of god intervention to make sure all was good. Basically you cannot simply reverse on a straight to couple and get it instantly hooked up.

Uncoupling with my little card tool - mo problem!