Platform Paint colour

I have quite a few Hornby platforms. On my stations there are some sections which have discoloured or needed repairs, and also in some areas I don't want the white flagstones to mark the edge of the platform where they are. Does anyone know what the paint colour would be to repair them?

XYZ

@Simmo009 do you know t5he name of thje textured paint? I used "Roughcoat" I think made by a Warhammer to texture the roof of my Scaledale Colliery and it was very good but they discontinued the paint many years ag0 and I still have one roof to do.

I think I read in one article once to use finest grade wet and dry paper to represent tarmac platforms. Look at any platform and none are uniform in colour. Stone flags have natural variation, tarmac gets dug up and the repairs are invariably a different shade. Modern platforms have the textured flags as in JJ’s photos for visually impaired people near the edge. My local station has some areas of stone flags (Haslingden flag?) and some areas of tarmac with the edge stones either natural stone or modern concrete. 

Some of the Scottish platforms are red stone (granite?)

Some people have used various materials to texture paint from the ash left by an anti-social activity to sand and grit. The super quick platforms had flags of different shades and some damaged ones. 

If you want to start with something close to the original, why not take a piece of platform with you to your local model shop / art shop / gaming shop /  DIY store and see what they have which is a good match?

I agree that platforms rarely remain uniform colours for long as materials weather and wear, undergo repairs etc.

Edited by ntpntpntp

I have always used Rustoleum 'old iron' textured paint to replicate tarmac. I also spray some onto a sheet of glass - once dry it can be sliced off with a razorblade to make tarmac patches.

• Like 1