Vic's TT:120 Layout - Progress so far

I’ve been experiencing baseboard envy recently so I am glad to see postings of smaller layouts appearing, thus encouraged to publish my efforts. I’ve reached the stage with my 4’ x 3’ layout where I have my track laid and running well and a rough idea of what scenic elements I might be able to achieve (I’m not that artistic nor skilled with a craft knife!).
The next stage for me will be to start the ballasting, but before I start I’m wondering where I might place additional signals? I have some from Evemodel, two of which I have planted at the exits from the sidings, and some ground signals from DM Electech in the goods and engine yards. I feel I could introduce more, but am not sure where. They are powered from the Rails Connect accessory decoders, so will switch with the points. :classic_cool: Any suggestions welcomed. I’ve attached a couple of short videos which appears to be de rigueur! :classic_wink:   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Quite simply I can’t. I’ll admit it was a bit of an afterthought - spare track and looking to put it somewhere kind of thing. I’ll probably just use it as a parking lot to display yet to be purchased locomotives or maybe add another siding. Better make my mind up soon!! :classic_unsure:

Very creative thinking, that scenario would never have crossed my mind!

In my original plan this was the engine shed area where my locos could be displayed when not in service. As I have never been 100% happy with the juxtaposition of the straight siding with the curve of the lead in and I have a spare RH point, I might change it slightly as per the attached plan. I think this might make better use of the space available.ScotsmanLayout9d.thumb.png.cb56c5d1f645e1c174bb2cdfd0fece72.png

• Like 2

Definitely like this alteration to the plan with changes to the engine shed area. Nice way to display locos not in service and store them without lifting them off the layout. The area also has loads of scope of detailed modelling too that can develop with time. 😁

• Thanks 1

Would a tender loco fit on the single straight in the engine shed though in order to then make it out into those sidings?

I’d be tempted to swap those sidings to the other side of that track layout, so basically swap the R6 curve off the first point into that entire arrangement with the point and have two more sidings there.

Or have the points start one piece earlier so they’re horizontally aligned and can fan out more.

Edited by moawkwrd

@Andrew-372848 My advice would be to go for the current simpler version and have a story of why the siding is there such as coal merchant / coaling area. My layout is 4ft by 2ft 8. I’ve removed lots of track to allow a scenery for the layout to sit into. I’m more excited about it now than I was when I was determined to overdo it.m with track.

2 hours ago, moawkwrd said:

Would a tender loco fit on the single straight in the engine shed though in order to then make it out into those sidings?

I’d be tempted to swap those sidings to the other side of that track layout, so basically swap the R6 curve off the first point into that entire arrangement with the point and have two more sidings there.

Or have the points start one piece earlier so they’re horizontally aligned and can fan out more.

Yes, my Falcon sits quite happily on the single straight, but I like even more your suggestion to move those two sidings to the same side as the others. This should make manoeuvres simpler and easier as none of the sidings will be blocked by another locomotive when occupied.

1 hour ago, taunmarc88 said:

@Andrew-372848 My advice would be to go for the current simpler version and have a story of why the siding is there such as coal merchant / coaling area. My layout is 4ft by 2ft 8. I’ve removed lots of track to allow a scenery for the layout to sit into. I’m more excited about it now than I was when I was determined to overdo it.m with track.

I was tempted by your suggestion, but like you said, I don't want to overdo things (given my yet unproven scenic modelling skills) and I really dislike that siding now! I'm a bit obsessed with the symmetry and look of the track and that siding was quite offensive. For example, one of my favourite pastimes when I worked in Edinburgh was to wander down to Princes Street Gardens at lunch time and position myself directly above the multiple tracks leading into Waverley station and just gaze down the lines (yes sad, I know it). :classic_smile:

Misc 0020.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew-372848 said:

I was tempted by your suggestion, but like you said, I don't want to overdo things (given my yet unproven scenic modelling skills) and I really dislike that siding now! I'm a bit obsessed with the symmetry and look of the track and that siding was quite offensive. For example, one of my favourite pastimes when I worked in Edinburgh was to wander down to Princes Street Gardens at lunch time and position myself directly above the multiple tracks leading into Waverley station and just gaze down the lines (yes sad, I know it). :classic_smile:

The best layout is the one that speaks to you! If it doesn’t look right once it’s done then you would have learnt that too. Just a thought, there isn’t a track that leaves the loop if you ever wanted to expand. you’d have to dismantle some of the track.

13 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Don’t dismiss awkward movements, it can provide some extra operational interest as you sometimes need to plan several movements ahead, just a thought 😁

That’s very true and perhaps what I was intending with the original layout of this area, but on reflection simpler is probably best for me. When carrying out one of those “awkward movements” I often end up cursing at a derailment because I have forgotten to change point direction! Frustrating, but symptomatic of where I am in life. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, taunmarc88 said:

The best layout is the one that speaks to you! If it doesn’t look right once it’s done then you would have learnt that too. Just a thought, there isn’t a track that leaves the loop if you ever wanted to expand. you’d have to dismantle some of the track.

Maybe, but I have no plans to extend the layout. The prime reason for going for this scale was to replicate (roughly) what I had originally modelled in vintage Dublo 3-rail. In fact my TT baseboard is exactly half of that original baseboard, is light weight with enough scope to keep me happily amused and best of all can be quickly stored away. Of course I’m my own worst enemy, I’d have plenty room for a larger layout if I got rid of my collection of telephones, vintage radios, record players and the other assortment of “stuff” I like to collect! :classic_biggrin: :classic_rolleyes:

I can join you in that predicament @Andrew-372848… I have a vast collection of Lego that stops me from having more space. I already stole some space for the railway I have, who knows how it will end 😅. It sounds like your layout is going to work perfectly for you. I’m looking forward to seeing it progress!

• Thanks 1

I mention RailMaster just by way of an update on the layout as I appreciate this is not the appropriate section for such discussion, any subsequent queries etc. will be raised in the RailMaster section. 

I mentioned earlier my difficulty in keeping a mental note of point settings and on subsequent reflection RailMaster came back to mind. I just run Mac computers and had no luck with RailMaster previously attempting to run it in a virtual Windows machine. However, I unearthed an old 2015 MacBook and set upon installing Windows 10 in a Bootcamp partition and lo and behold 100% success. :classic_biggrin:

So the point of this post is just so say I am very impressed and seriously considering getting a license. :classic_cool:

• Haha 1