Automation with Elite. Possible?

S-366915

Hi All,

I have been working on my layout for the past year and a half (on and off) and have reached a point where I want to dabble with automation. Has anyone managed to get to block detection with an Elite?

I cannot afford to start a new set-up with Digitrax etc., so thought would ask.

I did get very excited with the Railmaster Program function but soon realized that:

1) I can only run one loco at any time even if on different track segments

2) The locos slow down when running the programs which throws away the start and stop points

I am aware that Hornby is looking into loco detection for years so am not holding my breath.

Any success stories out there, I would be really keen to hear. Thanks.

HRMS is supposedly about to launch a big update to Railmaster, which from hints dropped by one of their testers on you tube indicates loco detection will be in that revision.

At present RM programmed events are timed, which suffers from creep over time and/or due to loco speed variations. This ruins the whole purpose of automation.

TGG is sitting at 20 members not all of whom are active. The group is effectively closed to new applicants at present. TGG uses magnet triggered track sensors (reed switches or hall sensors) for detection and programmed events wait for these sensors to be triggered before proceeding to the next event, thus train speed variation is not a problem, nor is a derail as the program waits until you have sorted it out. Many trains can be run at once by scheduling multiple programs to interface with each other. You can read about TGG by downloading the user manual in the TGG post in the DCC section of the forum. TGG is more suited to those who already have a full understanding of how RM operates.