21TXS how many functions? Cannot control carriage lights.

Hi,

I have a Dapol Class 122 and installed a 21TXS decoder.

The issue I am having is that the carriage lights are always on and I can only control the dim, I cannot turn them off.

Model instructions state how it works, but no luck in turning off the carriage lights. - Please see attached picture of instructions and how it should work.

Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks.

20240427_182631.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 96RAF said:

TXS decoder is a logic level output on HFOs 5 and 6 so cannot drive lighting loads direct.

Thanks @96RAF. I am not sure what that means. I am quite new to this. ☺️

Edited by Trainzer

@Trainzer a logic level output essentially means one that commands/instructions can be sent to (hence you seeing minor lighting dimness changes.)  But it is not a full output (with a completely independent circuit) - hence no on/off control.

If you want complete control of all lights, your only realistic* option is to use a different decoder that has 5/6 full functions.  

*someone comfortable with diy electronics would say there is another alternative: attach a relay between the logic outputs & carriage lighting circuit  - but this requires knowledge/skill, (and willingness to potentially risk voiding warranties) that is outside the majority of people’s comfort zone!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

@Trainzer a logic level output essentially means one that commands/instructions can be sent to (hence you seeing minor lighting dimness changes.)  But it is not a full output (with a completely independent circuit) - hence no on/off control.

If you want complete control of all lights, your only realistic* option is to use a different decoder that has 5/6 full functions.  

*someone comfortable with diy electronics would say there is another alternative: attach a relay between the logic outputs & carriage lighting circuit  - but this requires knowledge/skill, (and willingness to potentially risk voiding warranties) that is outside the majority of people’s comfort zone!

Understood! Thank you so much for taking the time to go into more detail!

Guess another decoder with full functions it is.