Hornby-Dublo A4 "screecher"

rayarpino

Can someone help. I was recently given a HD A4 two-rail. The engine is obviously used but in overall fine cosmetic condition. I serviced it (including new brushes) since it hadn't been used for donkeys and it now runs and pulls well except that it regularly

starts screeching for a moment and then returns to normal. It seems the worm and gear are correctly aligned and mesh properly. So I am dumbfounded. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi

When was the last time the loco was lubricated properly?? according to the Dublo instructions.

If you don't have them I suggest you find some one who has and get a copy.

Dublo locos need more maintenance tasks done than the modern stuff.

You

could also put a little(argh not that much!! I said a little bit) Tamiya grease on the worm and wheel.

Should be available at your local radio control car shop.

hopefully its only a lubrication problem perhaps somewhere that should be done that got

missed.

A proper clean and lube job usually sorts most odd noises out.

Particularly if the loco has not run for a very long time the oil and grease may have dried out.

hope this helps

regards John

rayarpino said:

Can someone help. I was recently given a HD A4 two-rail. The engine is obviously used but in overall fine cosmetic condition. I serviced it (including new brushes) since it hadn't been used for donkeys and it now runs and

pulls well except that it regularly starts screeching for a moment and then returns to normal. It seems the worm and gear are correctly aligned and mesh properly. So I am dumbfounded. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Remove

the body and at the top and bottom of the armature are 2 bearing surfaces that have run dry. A small drop of oil on both surfaces will stop the screech. Check that the armature has a very small amount of up and down movement. SMALL means SMALL in all contexts.

I suggest a small drop of oil to the worm gear and all connecting rods as well. The wheel axles will benefit too with a drop of oil. Dublo engines like this can be lubed with a light oil such as sewing machine oil as they have no plastic rubbish in them to

deteriorate.

Clashfern is right, on the X03/X04 motors you will want to lubricate the bearings on the armature. On the X04 motors there are felt-like pads that typically dry out that you need to lubricate in order to lubricate the bearings.

oorail77 said:

Clashfern is right, on the X03/X04 motors you will want to lubricate the bearings on the armature. On the X04 motors there are felt-like pads that typically dry out that you need to lubricate in order to lubricate the bearings.

Correct

me if I'm wrong which I'm sure somebody will, but I don't think Hornby Dublo locos have X03/04 motors.

walkingthedog said:

oorail77 said:

Clashfern is right, on the X03/X04 motors you will want to lubricate the bearings on the armature. On the X04 motors there are felt-like pads that typically dry out that you need to lubricate in order

to lubricate the bearings.
Correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure somebody will, but I don't think Hornby Dublo locos have X03/04 motors.

No they did not have the X series motors. Only the 0-6-0 R1 tank had a similar motor to the X series.

The others all had motors as part of the chassis or bogie.

walkingthedog said:

oorail77 said:

Clashfern is right, on the X03/X04 motors you will want to lubricate the bearings on the armature. On the X04 motors there are felt-like pads that typically dry out that you need to lubricate in order

Correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure somebody will, but I don't think Hornby Dublo locos have X03/04 motors.

walkingthedog said:

oorail77 said:

rayarpino said:

Hi,

Thanks to all. Indeed this Hornby-Dublo does not have the X03/X04 type of motor. I had done all the lubrication most of you have advised before posting my question but the screech remains????

If you

have not stopped the screech yet then I suggest you slacken off the armature nut at the top of the chassis a fraction and re oil without removing it. I have never NOT been able to get rid of a screech and this is the likliest place, the bearings of the armature.

Thank you I'll try that but you did say you had not been able to get rid of the screech????

Clashfern said:

If you have not stopped the screech yet then I suggest you slacken off the armature nut at the top of the chassis a fraction and re

oil without removing it. I have never NOT been able to get rid of a screech and this is the likliest place, the bearings of the armature.

rayarpino said:

Thank you I'll try that but you did say you had not been able to get rid of the screech????Clashfern said:

If you have not stopped the screech yet then I suggest you slacken off the armature nut at the top of the chassis

a fraction and re oil without removing it. I have never NOT been able to get rid of a screech and this is the likliest place, the bearings of the armature.

I have never had a problem getting rid of screeches it is almost always the armature

bearings. Just make sure that you have a very small amount of play in the up/down movement in the armature.

Sorry I misread you. Thanks again.

I have never had a problem getting rid of screeches it is almost always the armature bearings. Just make sure that you have a very small amount of play in the up/down movement in the armature.[/reply]

Didn't the later N2s, 8Fs and Castles have the same motor as the R1 or was that just Wrenn. I would also add that a screech is most likely to be an armature bearing since its limited drive train means I doubt if anything else would move fast enough.

Archived