My Hornby Wishlist

bocaj

It took me sometime to figure out what the "wishlist" function attached to our log-ins is for. I think this is an unfinished function for this website. I believe

the intent of this software is not to send Hornby a list of models you would like them to make, but to select Hornby products from the on-line catalogue that you would like for your birthday/Christmas and send that to your relatives as a birthday/Christmas

"wishlist".

When I last checked, the functionality to select things from the catalogue did not appear to be written yet.

So, it is a different kind of wishlist altogether, but in the end Jacob you accomplished what you set out to do.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTD,
while you are logged in, click on your name at the top of the page. This will take you to a page

with three sections:
- Account Details
- Wishlists
- Address Book

Click on "Wishlists" and you will see. It's a bit primitive and non-intuitive right now. I think this is a placeholder for future development of the website.

Clearly Hornby

redesigned their website for more "eCommerce" functions and the idea of people making up a Christmas list and sending it to their relatives fits in this scope quite well.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi fazy, Your wishlist is interesting because it

is of run-of-the-mill hard working secondary locos on freight and branch and stopping passenger work. A Gresley A4 or a Duchess just looks silly on a local stopping train or a pick-up goods. The truth is that there were many more goods trains, parcels trains,

the milk and newspapers, Royal Mail Travelling Post Offices, racing pigeon specials, fast fitted freights carrying fish and vegetables in refrigerated vans and long, long coal trains than crack expresses.

It was this type of varying freight traffic

that made the railways far more money than passengers only express trains. Thus this wide spectrum of types of train, each with a specific function made locos like the ones in you wishlist so necessary and made it all so interesting.

It is getting better

now we have the Wainwright 'C' no. 592 from the opposition, The T9, the M7 tank and, of course the Arthurs.

On the GWR Hornby did the Hall and 8751 & 2720 Pannier tanks, the 14xx 0-4-2T and the 45xx prairie. I also have three excellent Main Line Railways

engines, the Manor, the Mogul, and 57xx Pannier. All are in the same street as your wishes. Airfix made the large Prairie (now Hornby). This what gives the model railway a convincing air. A train of luggage/parcels vans being shunted into a bay platform by

a 63xx Mogul or a class 'N' 2-6-0

To be fair about this, some of you are not from the South of England and you want to see similar types of loco in LMS and LNER livery.

Best of luck with your wishlisting.

A wistful ferret.

thank you for taken time to look at my wish list i do agree that the big passenger locos are very nice to have my self having a just picked up a new duchess it does look a bit odd going round a small lay out.

This year does seem to be a good one
for the ex-LMS with the hornby 4F and compound and even the 3F by bachmann all due out this year.all of which i will have to get at some point funds allowing. on the plus side i am about half way though building a MR Deeley 0F 0-4-0t dock loco and should be
ready to run on a test by the end of the mouth and fineshd before xmas and have started looking into the next loco to build it may be a LT&SR whiteleg 3P 4-4-2t which i have all ready bought the drawings for or just my be a Webb 1P 2-4-2t which i have to find
some drawings for. has you can tell i do like the run of the mill locos they just seem to look beter on a small lay out

The 0-6-0 tender locomotive was the most numerous kind throughout the first half of the 20th Century, being overtaken only after the big 4 built hundreds of 4-6-0s. The 0-6-0 is a much more useful model for a steam era modeller because it takes up less

room than a 'Pacific' can be used equally on passenger and freight, and were much easier to find on little branch lines, which are often the most popular type of layout for the advanced modeller.

Every line had their own distinctive designs, most of

them handsome and quaint. Inside valve gear kept them simple, and thus lend themselves better to 'Railroad' type models. The old R251 was a very handy engine to have, we need a present day substitute, at least one for each of the big 4. GWR Dean Goods, LMSR

4F, LNER J27, SR C2X would be my suggestion, with possibly a Caledonian one to keep our Scottish friends happy.

For the Railroad range it has to be

1) R.355 "Nellie"
2) Blue Pullman(simply because the opposition one is far too expensive)
3) R.251 3F Midland 0-6-0 tender loco(mould was modified to become James in the Thomas range but could soon be back

convereted)
4) The R.51/S GWR 57xx pannier running number 8751(currently residing as Duck in the Thomas Range with a face stuck on the front)
5) R.351 EM2
6) Class AL1/class 81(They have the moulds)
7) Tri-ang Barclay Diesel shunter(was a decent

mnodel, could make a nice industrial with new chassis)

Main range
1) Peckett 0-4-0ST "Hilda"m I remember this one working the Gypsum quarries at Cotham south of Newark on Trent in the early 1970's near my grandparents and it is preserved down south

somewhere. The quarry line ran right next to the road and the loco could be studied in deail hard at work.
2) Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST
3) Midland Single
4) GCR Sir Sam Fay Class
5) Caledonian 812 class 0-6-0, could be used as Donald and Douglas for

the Thomas range
6) Caledonian Cardean Class
7) LNER J15 or J19 tpical GER territory branch line motive power.
8) Derby Lightweight DMU
9) Rebuilt W1 Super A4
10) LMS Beyer-Garratt
11) SR C2X
12) LBSCR Marsh atlantic
13) X class 0-4-2

tank engine or Fowler Dock Tank
14) LNER Beyer Garratt
15) LNER P1
16) LNER V4
17) LMS Turobmotive
18) LNER Orignal P2 Prototype with the name the filter keeps blocking, because I'm not allowed to say it here "Something O'North".
19) A New

Saint model rather than the converted Hall model Hornby did some years ago.

Buidlings well a re-release of the old Tri-ang R.145 LMS/BR Style signal box would be good, and the closer to scale looking Tri-ang plastic signals much better than the current ones dating from 1978. Tri-ang R.408U Turntable(last version) lovely bit of

kit. A new more realistic loco shed kit would be good too. R.629 Level crossing, a nice old unit that could be nicely detailed up to produce a decent level crossing. A working gated level crossing with electrically operated gates.

Sets.
1) Tri-ang-Hornby/Hornby

Ticket Control set, for added fun, insert ticket into top of station building to activate signal and send train on it's way.
2) LMS Turbomotive Set
3) LMS Beyer-Garratt set with suitable train of wagons.

The competition is doing a very nice 3F 0-6-0.

This is quite a list with

some very interesting ideas. I'm with you on the 0-4-0ST. The Peckett is my favourite but any new industrial 0-4-0ST would be well received.

The Derby Lightweight DMU will soon be produced by the competition.

I'd rather see a Star than a Saint.

The Star has never been done RTR, though the Saint was done so long ago and the motion on that model includes some hideous grey plastic so I would very much like to see it updated. I'd also add the GWR steam railcar and perhaps a Sentinel railcar.

If you did melt down the old moulds Poliss, WTD and Postie, I would stop stocking Hornby, stop supporting Hornby, stop buying Hornby, stop giving advice and stop doing repairs for people, destroy 100 years of model railway history in terms of serice sheets

for various makes, family shop data and more, spares would do the big bonfire too, and I would take up something else entirely.

Yes indeed the opposition does indeed make a nice 3F tender loco, Hornby missed the boat on that one. A Star would be nice

I have to agree, an often missed out loco.

i do agree hornby did miss out on the 3f and do think that a star would be a most useful loco for the GWR fans. but if they did make all the ones ever one wanted then dont you think the hobby would lose some thing. i now i have a whishlist but i do not

see the locos i want ever being done on a main run by hornby or bachmann we all want diffrent. hornby have the 4F bachmann now will have the 3f but what about a 2f,1f or the midland 7f as bachmann do the supper D's i could go on for ever. as child when growing

up part of the fun was dreaming of the locos i saw in books on the railways but now they were not made seemd ok too me at the time, but not being able to aford them i dont think would have been so good.

The LMS Beyer Garratt would certainly be a spectacular model, and despite my 'Southern' leanings I think I would go for one just for the joy of owning one.
With the Leicestershire team doing the Midland 3F surely one to go for would be a LNWR 'Cauliflower',

a long forgotten class and yet a classic of its time. A North British (LNER J36) 0-6-0 as a good looker too. However I guess that a NER P3 (J27) would go down a storm and be the strongest contender. There are a lot of North Eastern followers, and the P3 is

a classic too.

How much of the old Triang tooling IS still in existence. One reads of moulds being altered, and others being sent abroad. Is it all usable, it must deteriorate over time and with use so it must surely become cheaper and more efficient

to re-tool than to persevere with old tools? Is for example the Utility Van mould the same one introduced in 1958? If so does this constitute some kind of record?

most of the moulds still exisit. The TT were rummour cut up some years ago and Big Big, Frog Kits and the OO scale R.78 girder bridge ended up in Russia but the rest is still there.

It is the original utility van mould LC&DR, in fact some of the

first re-issues still had the Tri-ang brand underneath where the mould hadn't yet been changed.

The oldest unfettled item in the range is the three little line side huts from the lineside accesories pack, the moulds dating right back to 1955, just beating the R44/RT44 for electrically operated points from 1956. Other venerable items also in the lineside

pack include R.479 loading gauge circa 1964, R.478 Telegraph poles 1964, R.172 Mile posts circa 1960, R.173 Gradient posts 1960.

There are of course many others still in the range and doing their bit on peoples layouts including the R.264 Grand Suspension

Bridge from 1963, R180 Viaduct circa 1959, R.189 Brick bridge from 1961 and more.

There is one item that could pre-date all of these, but it's only speculative as I have differing release dates for the item in the extensive records I inherited, that's

the R.188 River Bridge, listed in some publications as 1961 issued and in others the first issue being 1951. Certainly I have seen a slightly different R.188(now R.499) dark olive/lime green example in an early correct Richmond box which dates in to the early

1950's when then Richmond factory was in full production. So potentially we have a model dating back to 1951 in the range.

Hi, all

Just picked up on another forum that Hattons have commisioned Heljan to produce the LMS Beyer-Garratt. You now know as much as I do on this subject.

If it's true, (big if) it'll be interesting to see whether both engines are powered.

If both ends are powered you can expect it to be expensive because in effect you've got two locos

We'll see!!

Hornby could make a Railroad Garratt by glueing two Nellie's together. Just think two XO.4 motors ................ Hey! a man can dream can't he?

Postman Prat said:

Hi, all

Just picked up on another forum that Hattons have commisioned

Heljan to produce the LMS Beyer-Garratt. You now know as much as I do on this subject.

If it's true, (big if) it'll be interesting to see whether both engines are powered. If both ends are powered you can expect it to be expensive because in effect

you've got two locos

We'll see!!
[/reply]

Hi WTD

Actually, glueing 2 Nellies together, back-to-back, would give you a Double Fairle, similar to those operated on the FFestiniog.

Either way, SOT would think he had gone to heaven!!!

[/reply]

Archived