OO Live Steam Club

OOLiveSteamClub

The OO Live Steam Club is close to being formalised with a committee and objectives, not least of which is expanding the OO Live Steam Club Roadshow. If you think you could take an ACTIVE part in any element of club activities please get tin touch either here or through mail at OOLiveSteam dot com Adrian
A J Campbell

• 1 month later...
The biggest problem I see right now is a lack of spares for Live Steam Locos. I wonder if we should try to use the OOLiveSteamClub as a focal point for spares. Just a list of available spares and sources might be good. Maybe the OOLiveSteamClub web site

could carry such a list???

I should point out that the lack of spares is a serious impediment for legacy live steam locos. Anyone buying one now is condemned to building their own parts when the old ones wear out or cannibalizing other locos to make one work again. Make room in

your display case for non-working LS models!

How timely rgmichel!

The OO Live Steam Club was formerly inaugurated yesterday with a core of 4 committee members, one of whom (nominated President and Technical Consultant) is Richard Hallam, the inventor of the system.

The spares situation

and Hornby's policy toward parts supply and service work was determined as a high priority action. Proving we can work with/around Hornby's supply system with Hornby's approval then the Club intends to do just as you suggest.

For the time being membership

will be free. To join simply email mail at OO Live Steam dot com.

More (much more!) soon.

Why not go the whole hog, and act as a clearing house for locomotives and take the steam out of this auction thing? Lots of possibilities here. Mallard sets are not selling that well in auction, and may be a good place to start. The society could renovate

and certify used locomotives to give added value, for example.

Another good idea once we get our act together.

We aim to expand our "roadshow" to show (and play with!) Hornby Live Steam beyond model railway exhibitions eg set demo layouts up at Garden Centres - outdoor but under cover and secure. A small group

of 'local' members could run it over a weekend, promote the system and, yes, be a conduit to take in and re-sell unused models or maybe offer a clinic for people to bring locos for checkout, repair or service.

I've spoken to several Garden Centres and

all have said they would welcome such a display - it would bring them publicity, extra visitors and maybe enthuse some work in the garden to complement a garden railway.

• 2 months later...
FANTASTIC weekend at Peterborough and THANK YOU all those who came to help on the demonstration layout, those who have now joined the OO Live Steam Club committee and particularly to Simon from Hornby who addressed our post-show meeting and confirmed that

Hornby Live Steam has NOT BEEN DISCONTINUED; the climate is just not right at the moment to expand the range.

Maybe if more people saw Richard Hallam's Live Steam Black 5 running on our layout things would be different.

A fuller report and video

clips will appear in due course.

Adrian Campbell
Chairman
OO Live Steam Club

Hi there guys.

I just got round to looking at the new forums here and found this LiveSteam section.
I just wanted to mirror what Adrian was saying - the first OO Live Steam Club meeting went very well and it was great to see lots of people excited

by the Hornby Live Steam products.

Hopefully there will be some cool progress to report here soon - I am working on gathering stuff together for a club website so if you have anything you would like added then let me know...

Hello Matt

Simon's described the range as "parked". The international economic situation probably means no movement for at least a couple of years and if it comes back expect a big price rise.

But that's where the club comes in. If we can

get a system going of regional modular layouts someone with just one loco can join with others for more fun.

In the meantime there are plenty of "hardly used" Mallard sets out there. If, with the Club's help, we can get them back into use and enjoyed,

possibly with new owners, then that could help kick start it off again.

Adrian Campbell
OO Live Steam Club

3 on that ubiquitous auction site at the moment (2 Mallard and 1 FS) and 9 sold in the last month. That seems to have been the pattern for a while.

I admit it is a heavy packeage to send to Australia but if you are just looking for locos maybe the

Club can split a set for you.

The Club is also intending to look at ways of becoming an intermediary in getting these locos moved on to people who will appreciate them.

Adrian
OO Live Steam Club

Good to hear your meeting was a succes! And good to hear Hornby hasn't abondoned Live steam.

Perhaps the 20th edition of Eurospoor (dot nl) next year is a nice opportunity to promote Live steam on the continent. If I'm told correctly, about 35,000

people visit the Jaarbeurs exchanche in Utrecht in 3 days. It is supposed to be one of the larger exhibitions in Europe. I surely would be there to help. This year's edition is next weekend (28,29 and 30 oktober).

Hornby overall should be promoting

more on the continent. The models are much more affordable, compared to Marklin, Fleischmann or Roco. And they look awesome.

And I would really encourage the club to become an intermediary! It is so hard to find anything priced decent. I recently bought

a used Eisenhouer and controller set for only € 125,=. In that way it makes fun to search for new loco's. And I still could use an A3, like a Papyrus. Hope to get an opportunity to meet you all in the near future.

Michiel

In the now withdrawn video on the Official Hornby YouTube channel they said, about live steam, "We're not going to make that product again." They did not say that it was on hold until the economic stituation improved. It will be interesting to see if those

comments change when the video is posted again.

Poliss, I too watched the video you mention and I did so with baited breath.

3 different people commented on Live Steam; one said 'won't', one said 'probably won't' and one said 'maybe'. I dont know their individual job titles but all were proud

of and impressed by the system.

Two things are for certain; no-one at Hornby has yet said "Discontinued" and the second is that there are plenty of people out there who have never seen it run and are immensely impressed when they do. The question is

are there enough of them. The Club's job is to find the way to them and convince Hornby to do another production run.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi.

Check out the Club Website http://www.00LiveSteam.com. We have found a supplier who is prepared to order any spares we might need.

Let us know how you get on as we would like to monitor the situation.

Archived