What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

I have just completed 5 Dapol BR (ex LMS) coaches kits. The interiors are painted and detailed transfers added. I used HMRS sheet 14 transfers and applied "First Class" totems on the 1st windows along  with "No Smoking" on one compartment. "Emergency lighting point", "white stars", "overhead warning flashes" "Guard" on the brake coaches and re attacked the Hornby 12 wheel diners and put "Kitchen" on the appropriate doors. It took several days of around 3 hours sessions.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

I've got two Hornby 1970's made R.866S B12's to restore, a Lima class 09 to rebuild and a pile of empty Tri-ang and Hornby boxes to burn. Should could keep me busy.

Hold on there Mr Burn "could be valuable" boxes - did you know that if you keep the original boxes - it will make the Trains/Engines/Carriages/sets or what ever what was in the boxes more valuable rather than just have Trains/Engines/Carriages/sets on their own - may be you ought to think twice b4 you go burning them boxes - Just a thought :)

That is true about the value of a model being more with its box, however, if it's an ordinary model it's still not going to be worth anywhere near what you paid for it. Also so called 'limited editions' are only worth more than you paid if they have never been removed from the box, if the box has never been opened and if the whole thing is absolutely mint, not a mark on it, preferably still sealed in clear plastic. This is also the same for ordinary models. If it has been used you'll make no money. 

The box is worth keeping in case you sell the model. I am in the process of selling 16 locos and it's much easier to pack and post them in their original box. 

Just finished relettering an old wrenn milk tanker and varnished it. To my horror the whole thing has gone pure white! Probably ruining the model. Cannot understand how this happedned as it is a hot dry day and the transfers were rub down.

I have now started to polish off the varnish, hopefully I can remopve enogh to restore the colour without destroying the trransfers.

I was told by a old toy shop owner in his experience a standard model never opened is worth more then a limited edition model never opened.  Simply because more limited edition are kept to make money well the standard models are bought to use.  So over time a standard boxed model in excellent condition tend to be harder to find. 

I was wondering if anyone else as found this.  It kind of makes sense but being a modeler and not a collecter I don't buy a model to worry what it will be in worth X amount of years. 

It's true Fazy, one common models kept in mint unused condition can in time be worth more than limited editions as the common models are usually played with and in rough condition. Models from the 1950's, 60's and 70's can be worth a mint if unused from new particularly the sealed ones from the late 1960's and 70's that Tri-ang-Hornby and Hornby made.

A common all garden 1973 made Hornby 2P(ex-Tri-ang L1 moulding) recently made £150 at an auction, it was unused from new and still sealed in it's box!

A used one would fetch £45 tops in mint used boxed condition in a mint box.

I am somewhat bemused by the inflated value of mint boxed (unopened) model railway stuff. The same also appears to be the case with plastic (Airfix / Kitmaster type) kits, diecast cars,Star Wars figures,  etc. . Unopened in their original packaging discontinued items currently command ridiculous prices. OK I understand the principle of rarity and condition, BUT, what will be the situation many years from now, when all of us 'Baby Boomers' have gone to the big workshop in the sky?  Will the present, and upcoming generations be all that interested? I can see them, going all misty eyed about old computer game programmes (or maybe not?) but they are clearly not interested in toy trains, postage stamps, and all those toys and pastimes we of the pre-digital era have so much affection for.

In the long run will future people really want to pay thousands of pounds for a tinplate toy, let alone a mass produced plastic one?

Now I may be getting pessimistic about this in my old age , but I have this uneasy feeling that we are deluding ourselves, and we would be better buying gold (like Graskie?) than squirreling away our old toys.

As you mentioned me, LC, I'll give my views on this.

I only buy locos to run and even run the few limited edition ones I have managed to buy cheaply. I agree that, even though some can maintain their value, not necessarily in quite mint condition, I don't regard them as a good investment. Look at how cheap you can buy the old Wrenn locos nowadays, for example.

Quality developments and certainly vast improvements in proper scale and finer detail are what I like to move on to, rather than to have kept my old original coarse Tri-ang items, for instance, even though I was more than happy with them when I had them years ago. There was nothing a lot better for value then, was there? I'd have loved to start off with Hornby Dublo, but just couldn't afford it.

The weekend just gone I managed to add two points at the East end of Platform 1 and started test running of the bay to through road conversion of the platform road.

However, a small radius Y point I had put in leading into the road was causing lots of de-railments so I replaced it with plain track and so am omitting a stabling siding. I test ran a few trains around including DOG, Stanier 4MT 2-6-4 T, Standard 4MT 2-6-4 T and a Class 25 on 4-6 coach rakes of Lima Mk 1s.

All seems fine so I have started on wiring up the points and track sections properly as I only had test wires in originally. Connections to connector blocks on the outside of the base board frames have been started with 1 point.  a double slip and one track section completed. Points motors have been tested with a live feed to the connector blocks - the earth has been linked in permanenly. 

Next stage is to insert switches in the control panel and wire these to connector blocks on the underside of the panel - which will then be connected to the blocks on the outside of the baseboard frame. It will take a while as a fair bit of soldering and drilling the control panel is needed, plus methodical testing as well.   

After that it will be painting the sides of the new track and ballasting before a 6 inch wide by 8 feet long baseboard extension is added to enable two new bay platforms to be laid. However, this will also involve wiring changes as well as re-loacting two control panels which could be a very and arduous long job due to the many connections involved.

I am aware of boxes adding value Jimyjames, sadly I have tried to sell the surplus ones with 99p give away start prices on an online place we all use but they didn't sell so they are slowly doing the big bonfire.

I must have missed that one as i could do with a couple of Triang Hornby Boxes. I'm particularly after Lord Westward, Albert Hall, the Red Nellie (with Hornby's phone number and brass dome)

The weather was poor at the weekend so I continued with wiring up the new track permanently and drilling the control panel to take about 6 new switches, testing in stages as I progressed. Lots of soldering but now all the new track sections and points are properly under control.

I also excavated an embankment to make room to lay the short loco release siding off the double slip and wired and tested that as well.

I have also started on the next phase - the new bay platforms - by disconnecting the control panel for the high level branch as it was in the way of where the loco release siding off another double slip would be for the new bays. I have also bought the "plank" of softwood that I am using as a base for the new bays. 

Plenty of test running as well, with Clayton, green and blue Brush type 2s, EE type 3, Ivatt class 4 2-6-0 and Jinty on a rake of 4 coach Lima maroon mk1 s and a 4 vehicle parcels rake  - Blue/Grey Triang MK 1 BG , 2 a Lima mk 1s BGs in Blue Grey and maroon and a blue Triang utility van which  I have had from new so must be at least 45 years old, maybe a bit more.

For the double slip I have made up a guide sheet so I know which way to throw the point switches for the 4 variations of how the double slip can be set - i.e. down/down on the switches equates to "Up main to platfdorm 3" etc.  

Next stage is to attach the "plank"  and lay track into the bays -  a double slip at the start and then 2 plain tracks and an engine release crossover towards the buffer stop.   

As you have gathered its DC and wired in sections. Each section switch is an on-off-on  and so each section can be controlled from either controller. Helps no end when switching from Up to Down tracks.

I am planning to do some detailing on my mk3 blue/grey coaches.  Adding some no smoking and1st class signs to the window, paint the corridor connecting doors in correct colour, changing the buffet car seating  to second class and need to get rid of restaurant wording. Paint 1st class interior to orange instead of the blue. Then if I have time change couplings to reduce gap between them. 

I did have a couple of hours in the loft last night but I was mainly running trains around with a few trouble shooting jobs to do including an intermittent short that I eventually tracked down by turning off sections of track one at a time until the closing of one led to a surge of power to a loco - Pug 51218 - !!  It turned out that a stray strand of wire was bridging the contacts on the panel switch - very glad to have found that.  

The pug certainly runs well - at least 15 years old I think and not had a lot of use but runs superbly over the pointwork somehow with a van, open truck and brake van on a trip freight. 

Testing of the new through roads is done now so I can proceed with the baseboard and track for the 2 new bay platforms and painting and ballasting the new track. Lots of scenic bits to do yet and re-instate the main station building and signal box etc.  

Not tomorrow though - its Gigglewick-Lancaster- Warrington-Llandudno on a day trip on the train for £28 each on a Two Togtether railcard - seems sgood value to me. 

I started on the additional width of baseboard needed to accommodate the 2 new by platform roads, cutting 4 lengths of 2 x 2" and have screwed the first to the side of the existing baseboard. 

I should have got on further but was distracted by the Hornby Railroad 9F not running well and de-railing and it transpired that the tender wheelsets have practically seized up - so looks like I have the same problem others have reported. 

The additional plank is now attached and I laid a straight piece of track onto it and then a double slip and the first metre of track into each of the bay platforms, then I ran out ot track. I was amazed that it took me about 30 minutes to add the first metre as I could not get the plastic insulating joiner to attach correctly to the double slip yet about 15 seconds to do the second as it slid into place first time ! I do have trouble now and again with the plastic joiners.

So - at last the new bay platforms are under way, but after doing the second metre I remembered I had thought about a loco stabling siding and so I think it will have to come up and be replaced by a point immediately after the double skip.  

Another issue I have is that to be able to run round 3 coaches in the bays, the engine release crossover may then cause the actual bay platforms to extend past the through plafforms which may look a bit odd - I will have to see and it could be that I just use the siding off the double slip to stable an engine to come onto an incoming rake of coaches and take them forward on the next service in order to release the original train engine.

I dont have an engine release crossover on the branch line station where the trains go to, again due to ;lack of space as you lose the length of 2 points and track long enough for an engine and so you do lose in effect 2 coach lengths of platform.   

Or I could just use DMUs !!

I could really do with a longer layout as although its about 15 feet long, requiring platforms able to take 6 coach trains and the pointwork at each end and the incoming curves, it is amazing how the space soon appears tight.

Archived