Pro Pack - Best of its benefits as experienced by users

There comes a point in time when one just simply HAS to take the plunge and purchase the Pro Pack for RailMaster!

I am thinking of doing this very shortly and would like to ask anyone who has used it just what the good points are about it as you have found during your use of software. Please only tell me about stuff you have used it for... -)

I'm not particularly wanting to know bad points unless they are outstandingly bad...

Rather, I am interested to see what you have noted yourselves and where you think it excels and enhances RailMaster.

I am loathe to tell you what I am looking for as some will then only answer on those points so please do let me know what you think. I already know the software is 'great' so don't tell me that!!! lol

Give me detail, lots of it. Looking forward to some good information guys... :-)

I'm in the same boat AC, I'll buy it one day, but I want to know the other end of the tale, which bits are a complete waste of money.

So to avoid highjacking your thread which you want to keep on the good side track I'll start another one asking for the down side - if any.

I updated just before Christmas though I can't actually remember why? One of the things I have done recently is to print out all the locomotive CV values. The reason being to get similar locos to behave in a similar manner by comparison to the decoder's settings. TBH I'm not even sure if this is a Pro only feature but tucked up in bed with a nasty cold this morning so unable to check before posting.

There is a list of enhancements available within the Pro-Pack both in the RailMaster PDF guide and also in the release notes file in the RailMaster Program folder.  The list of enhancement are pretty self-explanatory and give you a good idea of the additional functionality.  The Pro-Pack has approximately 50 new features over the standard software.   Priced at just under £30 we believe this represents good value and there's something in there for anybody who wants to take their model railway control that little bit further.  Remember also, that as well as the standard RailMaster software benefiting from regular free updates, the Pro-Pack does also.

Here is a reminder of what is in the Pro package

Additional features in the RailMaster Pro Pack

RailMaster, in its standard form, is a very powerful and easy to use modelrailway control system, which is suitable for the maj ority of users howeverthose requiring more functionality can add the optional Pro pack to theirRailMaster installation by purchasing the upgrade within the software .

• Voice control of locos, points, signals and accessories using natural speech

• Quick data backup system (locos, plans and programs) to secure your data

• Saving of current multiple headers for use the next time the program starts

• Ability to switch other points or signals when firing any point or signal

• Ability to run programs when clicking any point or signal

• Ability to run programs from the floating button bar

• Additi onal positionable buttons in track design to run programs

• Larger minimize, maximize and close buttons for touch screen users

• Printing of loco CVs lists

• Setting the order of points and signals settings on start-up

• Multi aspect colour light signals i ncluding flashing light signals

• Point and signal IDs shown at all zoom levels on main window

• Support for all Train-Tech colour light signals

• 45 degree point elements on Track Design screen

• Printing of track plan designs on a monochrome or colour printer

• Setting up of ‘smart’ double slip, single slip and three way points

• Automatic loco profiling system using optional Loco Detection

• Immediate testing of points and signals in track design mode

• Loco decoder reset function in CVs programming window

• Printing lists of timed schedules

• Facility to delete track plans within the track design window

• Facility to delete programs within the program editing window

• Reverse loco setting in loco settings window

• Ability to reverse selected locos within a multiple header

• Collapsible top and bottom window sections to increase track plan view

• Second large pop-up loco controller• Saving the selected track plan zoom setting when restarting

• Facility to email user if a short circuit or error stops programs

There are several more features within the Pro pack which are not listedabove.

You can purchase the RailMaster Pro pack upgrade within the “About” screen by completing the card payment form. An additional key will then be emailed to you, which will immediately unlock all of the features of the Pro pack.

Hi AC

As mentioned on the negative thread, what I might like may not be for you and visa-versa. Take a look at the list above, there is a lot in there for £30, something for everyone I think.

Do I regret getting RM Pro pack, even though there have been issues with signalling, a simple answer NO!

• Additional positionable buttons in track design to run programs

• Multi aspect colour light signals including flashing light signals (HRMS still working on)

• Automatic loco profiling system using optional Loco Detection --- When it comes ;o)

Those are the items I find make RM Pro pack worth the money for me, your list may be different but there is a lot in the upgrade.  Let's not forget also, many items are the gateway to additional enhancements Hornby will add.

May be I should have listed the negative items for me, it would have been a shorter list, but you asked for a list of positive items ;o)

Having said that the items not listed are not all negative, some are just not used like.

• Loco decoder reset function in CVs programming window

This and some other item not put as positives now, I may find I use at some stage in the future. 

PJ

I think you should read AC's request very carefully.  He has not asked for a list of the changes.

I totally agree RDS

Listen to the QUESTION people.

He wants honest opinion of users experiences not a sales blurb you can get of the main shop area.

I think you should read AC's request very carefully.  He has not asked for a list of the changes.

I totally agree RDS

Listen to the QUESTION people.

He wants honest opinion of users experiences not a sales blurb you can get of the main shop area.

I have listed what I, in my honest opinion, have found useful from the list of additional items in the Pro pack.

I am listening to the question... but do not have (or want) voice control  ;o)

PJ

15/50 then PJ.

Sorry about the rant but I got my reply in before your shorter list came on screen.

No problem.

As you can see the long list was easy cut-n-paste.

The reply took longer, although cut-n-paste it was done in bits to answer the question.

I included the full list as I thought it would help people, I couldn't have told you all thhose items were in the Pro-pack. 

Maybe due to signals and all the Loco Detection talk  ;o)

Right then... I don't know how to start this reply guys... but I'll give it a shot... :-)

Here's my original text (parts of anyway)...

I'm not particularly wanting to know bad points unless they are outstandingly bad...

Rather, I am interested to see what you have noted yourselves and where you think it excels and enhances RailMaster.

Give me detail, lots of it. Looking forward to some good information guys... :-)

While a list is a good thing and I appreciate the effort put into compiling it, and yes it sort of helps, I did actually hope for a little more...(?)

For example, if you think printing a list of loco CV's is just one point in its favour list it and tell me why you think that.

It's a lot to ask when a list of items turns a post into an essay... so maybe a smaller list than, or like, the shorter one above and maybe extended detail of reasoning behind your favour of one or two outstanding points.

Just for the record I have read the advertising and other publicity on it so I know what is said about what it can do.

Hopefully one or two of you can offer the reasons why you like certain points and why it is worth buying?

Apologies if I am asking a lot and asking you to endure extended typing times but it may just be worth it and, of course, it will be hugely appreciated.

Obviously, as yet, I don't what the uptake of the Pro Pack has been in terms of sales so maybe there are limited answers available anyway... so I await what you may have to say... :-)

Obviously, as yet, I don't what the uptake of the Pro Pack has been in terms of sales so maybe there are limited answers available anyway... so I await what you may have to say... :-)

Those sales figures of course is something we will never be privvy to...

Sorry AC

I think giving an answer to each positive listed below is a waste of time, in most cases the reply would be obvious

• Additional positionable buttons in track design to run programs

• Multi aspect colour light signals including flashing light signals (HRMS still working on)

• Automatic loco profiling system using optional Loco Detection --- When it comes ;o)

PJ

Benefit for me was that it only cost £30 to have the complete version of RM.  You can't get much for that nowadays.

But it was an upgrade RDS, I know from Hornby'spoint of view a major one.

It has ended up some of us were testers for signal issues.

They used Voice Control to justify the £30, to me I didn't want it and never will, reason mentioned else where several times. I think £30 was the most they could dare ask for the software for it to sell, I don't regret the £30 upgrade because when signals work correctly as they should it will have been worth it. Getting the price right, was for them a big issue I feel, it could have easily ended up like Windows 8 with a very small number of people buying in to it.

I  have to accept, as we all do when considering software, will I use everything it offers or does, the answer is no.  Microsift Excel and Adobe Photoshop are prime examples, they have so many features and many I don't even know about, yet have had both for donkey's years.

I just hope Loco Detection isn't another RM Pro situation but, at present, I am concerned that signals still do not work as they should, there is still no facility for feather signals, signals were a big part of RM Pro upgrade, signals will be a big part of LD, without them it would probably make LD a good system for controlling speed and stopping.

Time will tell

PJ

Benefit for me was that it only cost £30 to have the complete version of RM.  You can't get much for that nowadays.

Hi Dave,

I agree entirely with that, when you consider what is in there for £30 and that it is a one-off payment. Hornby could quite easily have gone for an annual subscription to cover their development costs. There are many different features which have been added in the Propack, and even if only a quarter of them appeal to a user, I think it would be still well worth the £30 just for them.

Ray

"For example, if you think printing a list of loco CV's is just one point in its favour list it and tell me why you think that."

I thought that's what I said in my post.

Yeah but I meant that as an example TWD so apols for if you were made to misread my intention lol

OK guys... thanks for the info and list of points to look at.

It seems the biggest gripe (and I really don't care too much about the cost of the software just now - I'll make a judgement on that when I see what I get from folk using it and describing their pros and cons) is the signalling aspect.

Whilst I don't fully understand the way multi aspect signals work for sidings (I can guess for some obvious uses - but not others) I am a little surprised there is an issue here. Sadly, I have seen this mentioned lots of times before so hopefully a solution will be forthcoming very soon.

It appears that the errors some are getting are for specific signals or are they with all makes of multi aspect?

I think I need research for the multi aspects so where's the best place to get this info and possibly also a site where they can be seen in operation on an analogue system or whatever?

Also, which make is best and why? Going off topic slightly, yes, but it does tie in to my reasoning for purchasing the Pro Pack so it is probably OK to ask this in this thread... seeing I started it as well lol

Back again after my last post in the other thread discussing down sides of the software where I left some hanging on the decision I have more or less made wheteher or not to purchase this software at the unbelieveably low price of £30!!!

Now then, before I tell you what that decision is I must say I can see a few negatives and lots of positives... even though there seem to be more negs on the other thread!! I've been looking around a tad and have come to conclusion that if every member on here donates 50p to my benevolent fund...

Seriously, I have thought about this for some time and will buy the software. I must thank you guys for your invaluable input as ever.

I have no interest in voice recognition... yeah it may be fun to give a roasting to your loco that doesn't want to stop or start or a point that won't change but I would get a bit depressed at having to talk to inanimate objects as if they were my little pet dog or something... no I ain't got any pets... well, OK, as a Geordie my 'pet' is my wife but I prefer using her name!! lol

Other areas of the software do have their uses and rather than list them all I will just leave it at that.

Thanks again guys... much appreciated... :-)

"For example, if you think printing a list of loco CV's is just one point in its favour list it and tell me why you think that."

I thought that's what I said in my post.

Yeah but I meant that as an example TWD so apols for if you were made to misread my intention lol

OK guys... thanks for the info and list of points to look at.

It seems the biggest gripe (and I really don't care too much about the cost of the software just now - I'll make a judgement on that when I see what I get from folk using it and describing their pros and cons) is the signalling aspect.

Whilst I don't fully understand the way multi aspect signals work for sidings (I can guess for some obvious uses - but not others) I am a little surprised there is an issue here. Sadly, I have seen this mentioned lots of times before so hopefully a solution will be forthcoming very soon.

It appears that the errors some are getting are for specific signals or are they with all makes of multi aspect?

I think I need research for the multi aspects so where's the best place to get this info and possibly also a site where they can be seen in operation on an analogue system or whatever?

Also, which make is best and why? Going off topic slightly, yes, but it does tie in to my reasoning for purchasing the Pro Pack so it is probably OK to ask this in this thread... seeing I started it as well lol

Hi AC

I am glad you have made the decision and do not for one minute think you will regret it (you gave it a lot of thought)

Regarding signalling, it is an issue as you say but allow me to put it in prospective from my point of view. (Briefly)

1 - Hornby recomment Train-Tech signals

http://www.train-tech.com/

They recommend them because they are the easiest signals to set up and use and they have their own built in decoder.  

Another advantage is you can slot then into your existing rails, or cut off the fingers and solder in wires but, the programming is done from the top of the layout not underneath.

In most cases the signals do work correctly as stand alone ones. The problems being experienced are usually when using them in programs or when programming them back down the line. HRMS are working on these issues and will sort them, it is in their interest to do so. They have not added signals to leave them at this stage.

2 - As you said, you need to read a little on this to get you started.

Try this link for starters in is very clear 

http://www.railway-technical.com/sig-uktypes.shtml

As you start to read up on signals you will see some with feathers, Train-Tech signals do not do feathers and RM has not been updated to use them yet although this also is just a matter of time.

Good luck in your new adventure and welcome aboard Toot Toot

PJ