Airfix F.N. Rifle

Hopefully the original post will appear here soon, once the picture of the actual model is approved by Airfix.

I remember being given an Airfix FN rifle by my much older brother, who was in the army at the time (around 1965) and it was my pride and joy (times & attitudes to "toy guns" were very different then). The rifle used to fire silver plastic bullets from a spring loaded magazine which clipped in and out, just like the real thing and had a bayonet that could be fixed to the front of the barrel. This however, was the guns Achilles heel; and like many others, I managed to break off the slender barrel whilst "engaging the enemy at close quarters' ;o) 

I seem to recall, as a toy, it was pretty well detailed and "ahead of its time" with quite high production values, including a spring loaded carrying handle, again, just like the real thing.

Ahhh!  Nostalgia!  I would love to have one of these again; to hang on my wall to remind me of simpler and the perhaps happier, care-free days of childhood.  I would certainly buy one if it were ever produced again as a "limited edition".

if they did release it no doubt it would have to be in bright orange or some other such colour for it to comply with current replica firearms rules

i remember being a nipper and having one of these....wasnt there a Thompson smg too?

The barrell snapped off mine, Airfix sent another which arrives with the barrel snapped off in the post, they sent another which arrived in the same condition, dad gave up after that and bodged it with glue (remember we didn't have superglue in those days) which would last for a few days.The onlt plus was I had 2 spare mags and loads of bullets. Last one I saw at toy fair was minty and was £200. I'd still rather have a Johnny Seven!.

• 10 months later...

Hi, 

I'm new to the forum, came accross it when doing some research for my uncle. He lives in South Africa but he has one of these F.N. Rifle models. The model is in the UK with me, he's asked me to sell it as he is no longer in need of it. 

If anyone is interested feel free to make me an offer (though I'll have to speak to my uncle). I'll probably be listing it on a few forums as I think it may be against eBay rules to list it there.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah96/Finchibabe3000/DSCF9641_zps0ry5ilcb.jpg

Admin edit: Just a quick reminder that second hand selling isn't permitted on the Forum as it involves sharing private information on this publicly viewable Forum.

• 1 month later...

Well, speaking as someone who used to use the FN/FAL (or L1A1) to use the British designation as part of his weekend job, I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat! Of course, I'd much prefer a real one to hang on my wall but,I think that might be problematical!!. If I remember correctly, LS issued a small rangle of 1:1 replica firearms? Anybody confirm/correct me on this

Allan

If I remember correctly, LS issued a small rangle of 1:1 replica firearms? Anybody confirm/correct me on this

They did, mainly automatic pistols like the Colt .45, Luger (2 versions) Walther P.38 which were the ones I remember making.

• 5 years later...

I’ve currently got a black air fix fal rifle as talked about unfortunately without magazine bullets or clip on blade but the actual rifle has original sling and looks superb on the wall, anyone that cares about these please p m me, it’s not nostalgia for me as I’m 30 and could get a replica random for peanuts of the internet and have that on the wall