Cutting Flexitrack

mickeyrail

A Dremel or similar is ideal for cutting track in situ. I have the Expo version. I've done it loads of time with discs less than 1mm thick. Don't push to hard just let the disc slowly make the cut moving it in and out of the slot. I think I've broken a disc twice and they just sort of fell to bits, nobody died and all limbs, eyes and other parts are intact. Safety glasses are a good idea. If the track is ripped from the sleepers you're being too heavy handed. It model track not a paving slab you're cutting. 

As we've gone off track - I'm thinking of adding a Dremel to my tool kit (pair of pliers and a screwdriver) - I was recommended the 3000 - they do a 3000, 4000 and 4200 . The 3000 with 25 attachments and a flexible shaft is £65 locally - any suggestions.

The flexi shaft seems like a good idea - BUT - you then need three hands - one to hold the motor unit, one to hold the sleeve on the business end of the flexi, and one to hold the item you are cutting! (and maybe a fourth for the cup of tea/coffee!)

My Dremel is the 300, mains power, and remarkably powerful, but if you are doing a lot of very fine work, it soon gets quite heavy! Plus, the cable isn't very long, so either you need to work near the wall-socket, or have an extension cable.

The abrasive cutting disks are about 1/4 mm thick, or there are some circular saw type blades, which are more suited to balsa-wood, or thin ply. They are more prone to grabbing.

Don't use a Dremel with very fine drill-bits, ie less than 1mm, because they are just too torquey, and will snap the bit like a hammer-drill snaps a panel-pin! (Guess how I found out!) Use one of those 'Archimedian' spiral thread things for tiny holes!

BB, I suppose it all depends on the sort of use you want to put a Dremel to, light or heavy. I bought my 7700 pack for £42.99, £46.29 including postage from Amazon online. It is stated to be suitable for small craft projects and light DIY. It is cordless, which I regard as better than having a cord getting in the way of your work. I'll be trying it out pretty soon.

Oh dear! "I don't believe it!" "Whad a mistaka to maka!" Anyone want a Dremel?

I had a go last night, the point well pinned to a piece of insulation board securely clamped to the top of my Workmate. I was all dressed up to the nines in protective gear. The other day I added a Dremel cutting wheel set to what I already had.

I chose a really thin wheel. It cut through the top part of the first rail quite easily, but then flew off into the distance when it got to the bottom part, despite not having exerted any real pressure on it. I changed to a slightly thicker heavy duty one and finished the job. But, oh, what a dismal failure. A gap a mile wide because the cutter must have uncontrollably drifted sideways. I tried the second rail, with the same result. I also managed to catch the adjacent stock rails!

In desperation I thought I'd try my Zuron cutters on any old part of that turnout as a test, not expecting any decent result, but having noted online that it could cut vertically. Carefully placed and angled, avoiding the plastic underneath, a tight grip and, to my astonishment, a pretty fine cut suitable enough for my purposes. I will be scrapping that point, but tried another one, with success once more.

I'm attaching a picture showing the first point, the second, and then my cutters. Let this be a lesson to others! I feel so humbled by this experience. Thanks for everyone's advice.

/media/tinymce_upload/daf524161f82e9acdfedb0ccb3a20983.JPG

Just to show it can be done with a Dremel, this is a photo of my first test cut I did with a Dremel 38mm abrasive steel cutting disk. This was quite acceptable, well at least I thought it was. This piece of track never made it onto the layout because I made the cut too close to the frog. I should point out, that I used a flexi drive shaft attached to the Dremel. This gives more eye / hand coordination control compared to just using the Dremel on its own. This is a crossover track piece not a point, but the principle is the same.

/media/tinymce_upload/782d387644aff357d72d3f959677ecd2.JPG

I have used a Dremel to cut brass 'O'  gauge coarse scale rail, tricky but do-able, but I found it is not really suitable for nickel silver 'OO' rail which is somewhat delicate and harder.  The other problem with a Dremel is to get a proper square cut end because the thickness of the drill body does not allow a square approach to the rail.

I have used a Jewellers Saw and a Razor Saw, and provided (a) the blade is sharp, and (b) the rails are firmly held these can be reasonably successful.  The old trick of a block of wood with grooves in it to hold the rails seems to work well for me.

Would you Adam and Eve it? I happened to visit my local model railway shop today and, among other things, had a casual look at their Peco Code 100 electrofrog turnouts. They had some new different package ones and....they already had the rail cuts in them, the wonderfully fines gaps being electrically connected by just wires at the bottom. All you need to do is snip these wires and, hey presto!

I had heard from someone, somewhere, that these were available quite some time ago, but it only seemed to apply to Code 75 electrofrog turnouts. Anyway, they weren't available in Code 100 ones, as far as I and, presumably, a lot of others knew. This change applies to their Code 100 electrofrog short, medium and large radius turnouts. Even Peco themselves still don't show such cuts on the item illustrations on their pretty poor website, and continue to talk about what you need to do in this respect.

So.............Do I "carry on cutting" (sounds like a good comedy film title) or do I replace all my turnouts to save the bother, and flog off my existing ones on eBay? Incidentally there was no suggestion on the new packaging that you needed to fill the gaps, so I now have a feeling you perhaps don't need to be troubled with that either.

Graskie,

All my Peco Code 100 Electrofrog points are the type you described with the wire link underneath. As you have spotted, the resultant isolating gap is quite fine. I use frog polarity switching i.e the user configurable links have been removed. They work brilliantly without the need for further modification i.e filling gaps is not necessary. I bought mine in 2013, so I assume they were around before then as well.

Well, I took the plunge today and bought a load of replacement turnouts from my local model shop, leaving them with a small order for a few they couldn't supply at the moment. My existing ones should fetch a reasonable contribution towards recovering some of the cost. I feel happier with that solution because they will generally look so much neater. Yet another good reason for not having ballasted yet!

Archived