When is Thomas based?

Tigg

• 11 years later...

The Railway Series books span a large time period, earliest story is set in 1865, the latest in 2011. Most of them are set in the 1950s-60s though.

The TV series is more ambiguous, but again mainly 50s-60s based on the technology (telephones, road vehicles etc) and fashion (hats, coats etc).

Timeline for the Railway Series:

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline?so=search

@Tarell

With my Moderators hat on . . .

You have made three posts which have dredged up years old threads.

You would be better off starting new threads of your own talking about current events of interest to you as most of the persons in the old posts may not even be on the forum and their questions were answered a long time ago.

I don't know. I would suspect that it was 1970s ish. Its after diesels became common on the main line. So late 60s, or 70s. But the island of sodor runs as a heritage railway with a mainline connection somewhere-thats where Gordon's expresses come from. So, Thomas and his friends could be used with modern surroundings and it wouldn't make too much difference.

XYZ

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Thomas Fan speaking here. It depends, If it was a story written by the Reverend W. Awdry It takes place between the 40s-60s. If it's a story written by Christopher Awdry, It usually takes place in the 70s. The timeline usually takes place 1 or 2 years before the story was written. e. g. Henry's Sneeze: Written in 1953. That would mean It takes place in 1950-1952.

• 1 month later...

"I think it was based on the Isle of Man."

The Isle of Sodor. A fictional island that fills the gap between the Isle of Mann and the mainland from Barrow to Liverpool. One of the last independent companies that used locomotives and stock purchased from the mainland railway companies. This is why you see a number of locos from different companies working together. If it actually existed today, it would probably have become a premier heritage railway. There is an idea for folks wanting to build a layout, but being torn between which region, or time period to set it. On Sodor, it really doesn't matter. There is room for everything. in any livery you choose. Magic.

Archived