Ringfield motor to cd player motor conversion

dynax

"

"i.e. the one with arch shaped magnets as the intergear shaft bearing gets in the way.

Could you clarify please??

I am faniliar with round magnets made of ferrite and rubberised/plasticised material but by arch do you mean the round type with 2 'horns' to locate it?? Or are you referring to the ex-dapol class type where the 2 magnets are on opposite sides of a steel rim?

These type magnets Bob from here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEO-MAGNET-FOR-HORNBY-CASTLE-COUNTY-CLASS-56-ALSO-FOR-MAINLINE-DAPOL-/382022086510

The problem I found was these were too strong and the motor ended up so notchy it would only run at high throttle, so  I tried the CD motor route.

/media/tinymce_upload/11df8a3631b3c50998b885619b5f9eeb.JPG

I cant post a picture of the old (probably Mainline Dapol) Class 56 motor I bodged, but the housing is listed as H10 on Peters Spares and shows the old magnet arrangement well.

http://www.petersspares.com/hornby-h10-class-56-motor-bogie-black-magnets-mainline-dapol.ir

If you chop out the intergear shaft spigot to clear the motor then the intergear gear shaft has no bearing support, so a total rethink is necessary.

Rob

Many thanks for this information. I have replaced most 3 pole armatures in my tender drive fleet with 5 poles using a brass sheath and then aneomagnet.

What puts me off the cd route is that you have to butcher the spindle bearing/motor housing.

Anway I have some spare 5 poles I invested in for future use but as these are not made anymore has anybody found a source for rewinding 5 poles? Plenty of people seem to do 3 poles.

Cheers

bob Hughes

• 2 years later...

Technically you can put a lower voltage can in. A 6v will actually run faster than a 12 volt. This is due to the control increasing the voltage that regulates the speed. However, it would be wise to install appropriate resistors to prevent applying too much current to the can. You can test this theory by connecting an led to a DC controller without a resistor. Turning the controller up slowly will increase the voltage and the intensity of the led. Turning it up too much will very likely blow the led. Putting resistors into the circuit will prevent this. You need to do a bit of research first if you’re not electronics savvy. Worked for me and I use a 5.9 volt can in a ringfield on my dcc layout. 

Given the problem I am having with isolating the motor bogie on my Class 29 I am wondering if using a CD motor would be a much easier way of converting it to DCC - any thoughts?

The claim is Strath‘s kits are totally reversible should you want to revert for selling later. They are not overly expensive either as I said earlier, when I linked to his main page rather than just the Hornby conversion.