Survey - Hornby please provide TTS Kits

choralc

If I was Hornby I definitely would not be selling these separately. They will only end up taking the hit on customer services when people start trying to fit them into locos where there is no room to fit them. It is not just plugging in a decoder to a board, there has to be enough physical room to fit the speaker and have something to attach it to or secure it.

People will just buy sound decoders made by other companies and Hornby will lose out, as they already do.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I wanted to convert a non DCC loco to DCC I just sold it on eBay and bought a DCC ready / fitted one. It was much easier and really came out pretty cost neutral instead of trying to retro fit a socket. I would do the same for DCC sound. Hornby have a wide range of customers with very varying technical capabilities and I would suggest the vast majority would not have the capability to fit these. You immediately remove a signification portion of you potential customer base.

If you pay someone else to fit them it could take hours to shoehorn a speaker into somewhere it was never meant to fit. You would need various sizes of speaker depending on the room available and that will affect the sound quality which would no doubt end in complaints on this very forum. Getting a third party to fit these would be significantly more time consuming and expensive than just removing a loco body and plugging in a chip. I doubt anyone would take on such a task

• 2 weeks later...

One poster said that Hornby wouldn't want purchasers mangling a loco or TTS module to try and fit a model not designed for TTS which is why I originally asked for loco types that Hornby have included TTS with already or had planned to release prior to the recent model withdrawals from the 2016 catalogue 'predictions'. These have been listed first.

Second Hornby had released models in the past with XS modules and a few have been or had planned to be released with TTS modules.

Thirdlyly I have listed those that had an XS model but to my knowledge have never had a TTS announced.  The rationale for asking Hornby is that they had made or planned a release of a TTS version of other XS models.

Lastly is the wish list. No XS or TTS to date (again to my knowledge).

Again I reiterate if Hornby have used the same tooling for the Fowler 4F R3460TTS as they did for the 2011-2012 R3030 or for the King R3370TTs as for R3331 then the most that is required will be a direct swap of the module by undoing some screws, pulling the 8-pin plug out of the factory fitted socket and replacing parts. It has even been suggested that a body swap will do if the livery and/or detailing is the same.

List one. These are often but not alway RailRoad range models that have had TTS equipped models or announced but withdrawn:

BR Class 7 (0) e.g. R3387TTS - x

BR Class 8 (0) e.g. R3244TTS - x

BR Class 9F (Crosti) (0) e.g. R3396TTS - x

A1 (2) e.g. R3284TTS - choralc and dynax

Fowler 2P (1) e.g. R3459 - choralc

Fowler 4F (1) e.g. R3460 - choralc

Hall (4) e.g. R1184 ex-set - choralc -1, and WilliamDavid - 3

King (2) e.g. R3370TTS - choralc & WilliamDavid

Merchant Navy (4) e.g. R3382TTS - poppasmurf - 4 (his request was Bullied Pacifics and I have no idea if they would all sound the same as a Merchant Navy or that he would be happy to buy a total of four to retrofit others in the 4-6-2 type)

P2 (0) e.g. R3246TTS - x

Schools Class (1) e.g. R3386TTS - choralc

Class 20 (1) e.g. R3394 - RDS

Class 37 (2) e.g. R3289TTS - james_nelmes & RDS

Class 40 (1) e.g. R3286TTS - james_nelmes

Class 43 (6) e.g. - R3390 - dynax

Class 47 (3) e.g. R3393TTS - james_nelmes, RDS & WilliamDavid

Class 67 (0) e.g. R3388TTS - x

List 2. These are models with TTS that have been released, announced or withdrawn that have also had XS models.

A4 (3) e.g. R3395TTS or R2805XS - choralc -2 & dynax

Black 5 (2) e.g. R3385TTS or R2804XS - choralc

Castle (3) e.g. R3383TTS or R2994XS - choralc -2 & WilliamDavid

Class 31 (0) e.g. R3391TTS or R2803XS - x

Class 60 (0) e.g. R3389TTS or R2899XS - x

The wish list. As far as I know Hornby hasn't made a sound version of any of the following requested as 'TTS kits'.

A3 (5) - WilliamDavid - 4 & dynax

B1 (2) - dynax

B17 (1) - WilliamDavid

K1 (1) - WilliamDavid

N15 (2) - choralc & poppasmurf

Q1 (1) - poppasmurf

Royal Scot (2) - choralc & RDS

S15 (1) - poppasmurf

Std 4 Tank (1) - poppasmurf

T9 (2) - poppasmurf

Class 25 (4) - dynax - 2, james_nelmes & WilliamDavid

Class 26 (1) - dynax

Class 42 (1) - dynax

Class 50 (1) - dynax

Class 52 (1) - dynax

Class 55 (1) - dynax

Class 66 (2) - RDS & WilliamDavid

Class 70 (1) - RDS

Class 110 (1) - dynax

For those TTS only models that have been released, announced or withdrawn - 28

For models released with XS but also released, announced or withdrawn - 8

For models previously released with XS but no TTS to date - 2

Wish List - 29 over 19 different models.

If any of these have in fact have had an XS or TTS model and not placed in the appropriate list please let me know.

I will continue to summarise every month until I drop dead or give up waiting 😛

Choralc, good job, a well compiled list. I wish you luck in your endeavour, but reckon you are on stony ground. The best thing would be for someone already in the market, to launch a entry level sound decoder, perhaps. john

I would think that once a specific TTS reaches a certain figure, e.g. 100+, the demand may be sufficient but by then how many will have fitted another brand's sound module or bought another TTS equipped loco to fit their modules into or body swap with another loco.?

Time will tell. Keep the requests rolling in but do try to keep to the one's we know that Hornby have already planned. Hah! 😀

Fazy according to Ramsay all the Hornby LMS Class 2P 4-4-0s since the 1973 Tri-ang model are based on the Pailtoy/Mainline tooling which first passed to DAPOL and then to Hornby in 1996.

The Hornby versions first appeared in 1999 as R2099A and R2099B both LMS numbered 579 and 645 respectively. Since then they have come out in BR and S&DJR and from 2011 it was given a loco drive and a DCC socket that by the looks of the three models below is mounted in the tender with provision for a speaker especially the TTS model).

Currently in the Hornby shop are three models:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-4-0-fowler-2p-class-late-br-1.html

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/s-djr-4-4-0-fowler-2p-class.html

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-4-0-fowler-2p-class-40626-early-br-with-tts-sound.html

I would imagine, for the purposes of this thread, that the TTS model could be unplugged and easily removed from R3459TTS (BR) and placed into any loco drive version (2011+).

I am guessing that the body and tender mountings may have not changed since the tender drive versions of 1999 - 2011 and that a straight loco and tender body swap may be possible to have a new loco drive with TTS. Perhaps someone will inform this thread if that is the case.

Fazy I have found two other current models for this class on the Hornby website. One in BR and one in S&DJR. As I posted (copy and paste, not 'live') links to these in the text it's being held as images for moderation but if you type 2P into the Search window of the red Hornby bar at the top of the page you will find them.

I would be happy with generic modules in these categories, as the steamers already appear to be based on 2-cylinder generic steam sounds. 

mainline steam (big locos - 2-6-0, 4-6-2, 8s @ 10s, etc)

branchline steam (small locos (0-6-0, 0-4-0, 4-4-0, etc)

big diesels

small diesels

All the above with an appropriate selection of whistles and horns, brake and flange noise and less choice of door slams, coupling noises, etc. Maybe one of these 'recovered' functions could be made into a proper brake applicator (if thats a word).

I agree

There are also a lot of sound cards that would fit in more than one loco.

It would be an easy task for Hornby to access how many sound cards are needed, (if they have not already done so) where a TTS Sound kit would fit in 2-3 locos, make the card and speaker kit so that it fits in them all.

The Classes 40, 37 and 20 all have the distinctive "whistler" sound, so the TTS which is in the Class 20 or Class 40 could be used in a Class 37 too.

Ray

Very good point Ray, I am sure if Hornby look at the range they can easily narrow down the amount of TTS sound kits needed.

I guess they already know this from their forward planning of TTS Sound in locos.

No John. Profits would rise as people would buy them to fit into their existing locos of whatever brand they happen to have.

I agree Polis... Sales would definately increase if the TTS sound cards are sold as kits.

From last year I decided that I will only buy locos with sound, I only have 3 locos without sound now as I sold many that didn't before Christmas. If TTS sound kits were available I would install or have them installed on all locos and I wouldn't have sold the none sound locos.  I would also consider others locos without sound and add sound kit to them.

From Hornby's position they would know which locos are most popular, they would also know which sound kit would fit in how many locos, with that information it would make sense to launch sound kits for the most popular and greatest coverage of their range, I believe it would increase their sales and profit overall. They have the technology, the cost is small compared to some locos, the risk for them is very small and the rewards could be far greater than they expect.

I will add Black 5 to the list but would consider all my locos that don't have sound now and even consider other second hand ones and upgrade them with TTS sound.

I can be specific about transplanting two of the latest TTS models. The 2P and 4F.

R3460TTS BR 0-6-0 Fowler 4F in Late BR was a straight body swap with R3030 LMS '4312'. They are definitely the same tooling.

First and third screw in base plate holds the chassis to body. Needed much see-sawing of chassis ends to remove body. The tender is also a straight body swap. The only modification on the newer model is two posts in the 4 and 10 position (12 is the draw bar) to which a speaker plate and bracket are screwed to separate the speaker from the ventral weight. DCC sockets are mounted the same in both models.

R3559TTS BR 4-4-0 Fowler 2P in Early BR fitting to R2099A. There are some problems with straight body swaps between the 16 year old R2099 and model and models made since 2011 which have a revised chassis for the loco mounted motor.

Tender: It was a straight body swap from the R2099A model to new model but the reverse fitting has interference with the weight blocks either side of the ringfield motor so that the body is not flush with the frame. I am investigating this further. The new tender has the same arrangement as the 4F and I'm guessing that the tenders are the same on both the R3459 and R3460 TTS models both being Fowler tenders.

Loco: A straight body swap again from new to old the chassis. The bottom of the new boiler barrels have also been shortened by approx. 10.8mm to accomodate the revised chassis that carries the motor. This plastic had to be ground away from the old body to fit onto the new chassis.

The new model body also has an approx. 15g weight screwed into the smoke box. I will look at fitting a 15g weight into the older LMS body.

The new model's pony truck picks up power so this is an incidental upgrade to my old 2P model.

I will post something about my two upgraded models in the Latest Acquisition thread soon.