A lightweight alternative to real stone ballast

PJ_model_trains

I railed this in a casual statement on another forum, but it could run on with ideas... we hope.

My comments was... there has to be an alternative to ballast using real pebbles which can be quite heavy. A product that is very lightweight but of similar cale size, one which we could possible split in to batches and colour, each one slightly different, before mixing them together and using for ballest.

NormanQ4 has mentioned vermiculite as an option

http://www.dupreminerals.com/downloads/vermiculite/micron-grade-vermiculite-datasheet.pdf

I am sure there has to be many options and float the idea here to see what you guys can come up with. Many thanks for any replies.

@PJ and WTD

float being the operative word...

...I had the 1:1 scale vermiculite insulation  in my loft and it definitely floats as I found out when a pipe up there sprung a leak. A complete nightmare to clean up.

still its worth a try if a local supplier of this micro-stuff can be found.

Many years ago the Model Railway Club I belonged to recommended budgie grit from a pet shop sieved using a fine kitchen sieve would make excellent OO scale ballast. We built the club layout with Streamline glued to cork underlay with PVA spread over it and before the glue was dry the sieved budgie grit was sprinkled between the sleepers and allowed to dry for a week. Masking tape was used to give a ballast shoulder,when the glue was dry the tape is peeled away, sometimes a bit of persuasion with a sharp knife is needed . The track was pinned to the cork, but the pins were removed when the glue was dry. The resultant track is solid. Any gaps in the ballast can be filled later with wet glue and grit. Surplus ballast is removed with an old vacuum cleaner.

Since then I have used this method successfully ona number of  subsequent layouts. (I must find out if I can still buy budgie grit! Especially after problems buying cork!! I still have some but not enough.)

One modeller at an exhibition told me they used coffee grounds. Not sure how he coloured it though. I tried a test piece myself but have never taken it furher as I prefer granite.

I usually apply the balat dry using a brush to create the shoulder then:

1., spray a very weak solution of washing up liquid and water over it just to slightly dampen the ballast This destroys any surface twnsion in the next stage;

2, dribble or use an eyedropper to apply diluted PVA glue to the point when the glue begins to show white through the stones.

3. At this point I would shake any static flock over the layout and apply any other foliage wheen I would want a rather unkept run down look

We have a few suggestion, I am sure there will be more.

Thanks @NormanQ4/RAF96

virmiculite is light and if floatable in is not pourous therefore maybe a silk emulsion may coat it. Roll the stuff in the emulsion I think.

Thanks @81F

But my Rombouts ground coffee is out of the question.  😛

Nescafe coffee granules??? 

Thanks @LC&DR

I am trying to get to grits with this one. Joking. It sounds feasible, fine enough to make it easy to add between sleepers. Lighter than stone ballast but weight adds up faster than we sometimes realise. My layout has to be lifted for work below and visitors a couple of times a year, and my wife lifts it, hense the reason for the question.

I am a bit unsure of the 'old vacuum' though. We only have the modern Dyson and I get told off for using that. What? Deafness can sometimes be handy I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been experimenting with kitty litter and think it's going to work very well. The product we can obtain is cream to white in colour and sieves down to the perfect size though a standard kitchen sieve.  I have coloured it with a watered down acrylic and that t works well too. I will use it on my layout.

cheers Porkster 

I have been experimenting with kitty litter and think it's going to work very well. The product we can obtain is cream to white in colour and sieves down to the perfect size though a standard kitchen sieve.  I have coloured it with a watered down acrylic and that t works well too. I will use it on my layout.

cheers Porkster 

Ermmm

Cat litter is not that light either, but it will no doubt soak up any engine oil from our locos  😉

It is good to consider as many ideas as possible, although I would worry if any of our two cats sat on my layout, I would need a rake of plank wagons. 🤐

Four lace holes for the cat comes to mind. 😮

I have just taken this from another thread posted by LC&DR

According to my Permanent Way  Association handbook real stone railway ballast in the UK should conform to the following specification.

Should consist of crushed rock containing a mixture of sizes mainly between 50mm and 28mm diameter which will pass a square mesh sieve with hole size -

63mm  - 100% will pass

50mm - 97 to 100% will pass

28mm - 0 to 20 % will pass

14mm - 0 to 2% will pass

1.18mm - only 0 to 0.8 will pass (to prevent excess of rock flour)

Elongation should not exceed 50% - to avoid lots of long thin pieces.

So for realism on an OO layout you ballast grains should be be about an average 0.5 in diameter , but with none greater than about 0.8mm.

However this is the 1993 edition, also it only applies to main line railways, so in many years gone by and in sidings and light railways track was frequently  ballasted with spent loco ash, which was a dark grey powdery material. On a model railway a smooth filler paste painted grey  could be used to represent this.

0.5 to 0.8mm diameter

That is very fine, to 00 scale it would be almost like saw dust in size!

I do agree some stone ballast does look massive to a loco, even to a workman working line side. I bet he wouldn't want one to drop on his toes. Hopefully the plastic figure has 1/76th scale steel toe tectors in his boots. 😎

Aesthetically probably something between would be proportionally acceptable in appearance. I think.

Interesting topic.

A method of ballasting I am trying, is to use double sided sticky tape (1 side only under track sticky side up and ballast shoulder using both sides ). This method would allow lightweight ballast to be used without floating problems. 

My access, rather than lifting, uses door hinges for a 4 ft opening and just needs locating points for alignment. Runs a 4 track main line over this section so a reliable set up.

There are several kinds of cat litter, the clay-based ones are usually 'clumping', but there are sawdust and/or paper-based ones that are not.

As an aside to the aside - my cat can be asleep in the garden (when isn't it!), but will come in to use the tray, then goes back out again! Feline logic!

I told my wife what I was looking for and the suggestion of vermicite!  Ten minutes later she came in with a bag of the stuff from the garage!!! Is this what you want she said. I didn't even know we had any, she said she purchased it last year to add to compost when planting seeds!

The bag is mixed sizes but around the sizes we have discussed; when ready I think I will get a couple of fine sieves and grade out the very fine and the larger pieces then give it a try.

• 3 years later...

I have just started up an money is not easy to come by. I have been trying to think of cheap ways to ballast my track, and yes vermiculite came into my mind. I happen to have a massive bagful already in my greenhouse so nothing to lose really. I put some in a sieve and used my hands to break the vermiculite into smaller pieces. Wow how surprised I was with the end result. I had no trouble applying it to my track using 45% PVA glue 45% water 10% isopropyl alcohol. Stuck down well no floating problems and looks good with my OO guage. Just need to find a use for the dust that was sieved out.

I realise this is a 4 year old thread but as I'm in the middle of ballasting i thought I'd reply.

Firstly about the cat litter already mentioned. I too had sifted cat litter and had some very nice 'rocks' round the edge of the sailing club that really looked good, but a little too big for ballast. One day the wife bought home a different make of cat litter with smaller granules that looked perfect. As I had already done all the tests and already had some on the layout I knew it would work. Poured it over quite a large area of track, covered it in watery PVA glue, left it to dry and came back the next day.

Oh dear! It was at this point I discovered there are 2 types of cat litter, clumping and non clumping. A completely new concept to me that I had never heard of before!!! It appeared that the 'rocks' were non clumping (very good for model railways) and my new ballast was clumping (very bad for model railways)!!

If you can imagine getting the Milky Bar Kid to help you cover all your track in a layer of white chocolate and then leave to melt in the loft on a hot summers day - yes, that's what my track looked like!!!

I was determined to do it 'my way' so after cleaning up the mess I set about trying various other substances. Both sugar and salt didn't look too bad but there was the problem of colouring it and I wasn't sure of the long term effects that heat and cats might have on it and decided to keep away from food based ballast.

Finally I came across 'Aquarium Substrate' (the gravel that goes in the bottom of an aquariun). This is available in various sizes and colours and as long as you get the right size it is perfect. Obviously it doesn't float and it doesn't dissolve in water and best of all, it's a fraction of the cost of 'real' ballast and the cat doesn't want to eat it or **** in it! Each grain is approx .5mm and it does a great job and looks 'right'.

Also, some people might consider a bonus that you can have flourescent pink ballst! I don't but maybe on a kids layout........