WD austerity 2-10-0

Ed Mueeay

I was thinking how there are 2-8-0 wd austerity's in models and i would love it if they brought one out as everyone loves a big powerfull engine and if they were to bring out a 2-10-0 wd austerity it would be fantastic. For example i would make Dame Vera Lynn at the NYMR as it is brilliant and i am positive i am not the only one who would like that locomotive. Also if they did bring out i would make in WD livery not British Railways livery as it is a WD engine.

The British Railways examples only ran in Scotland and I don`t think that the Military versions worked on the railway network except during the war.Therefore demand would be small. The 2-8-0s worked virtually everywhere on BR eexcept possibly the Southern Region

Hi Trainlover

I agree with you  that it's unlikely this would get into the Hornby 'Best Seller list

The WDs (2-8-0 and 2-10-0)had few differences between the WD and BR, appart from Westinghouse pump.However, once they passed into the ownership of overseas operaters lots of changes were made.

I cannot comment re the allocation of the 2-10-0 during the war years but most (if not all) ended up in Europe from 1944. After that they appeared in many overseas places, including China. From memory there was only about 150 but I don't know the disposal of the locos but I expect they were all scrapped by their final owners although a number were in the Greek 'Strategic Reserve' at least until the first half of the 1980s. BR only had 25 and I don't think many ended up at Longmoor.

The Southern had a small allocation of the 2-8-0s (I think mainly at Hither Green)but from about 1950 they migrated north of the Thames

All true but, Hornby produced the 6MT Clan class. Which worked mainly in Scotland as did the WD 2-10-0.

And there was even fewer of them. And none where saved from the cutters torch.

Hi Fazy

At least with the 'Clan' Hornby already had a tender and chassis available.

For the WDs the preservationists had to go overseas for their locos.

PP is correct, both the WD 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 worked on the Southern Region albeit for a very short period. After the War quite a few 2-8-0s were allocated to Southern sheds at Feltham and Hither Green for freight work, They left the region for Yorkshire in 1951. Some of the 2-10-0s were overhauled at Brighton, and then worked a few turns on freight work again on the Central Division before heading to Scotland.  The blue WD owned 2-8-0s and 2-10-0s from Longmoor also ventured out on the Southern, and to Eastleigh for repair.  These included 2-10-0s 73651 "Gordon", and 73797 "Kitchener", and 2-8-0s 77337 "Sir William Guy", 79250 "Major General McMullen", 73257 "Major General Carl R Gray Jnr.".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I've wanted to see this in model form for a long time now. Many trips on the North Yorkshire Moors railway and seeing Dame Vera Lynn loco made it one of my favourites at the time. Considering the other rare locomotives that have been made ready to run in more recent years then I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes it eventually but possibly not Hornby.