The class 81 in oo and n gauge

Forum-1211528

/media/tinymce_upload/87abc0055b582fc8abe6dcd88807abfb.jpgHornby should bring back the Class 81 it was made by Triang in OO scale and LIMA used to make one in N gauge so that could now be under ARNOLD N and the OO one by Hornby as this Electric is needed so come on Hornby bring back the class 81!

A NEW tool 81 would be better than re-hashing this one which was never a particularly good model anyway.  There have been reasonable models 85 and 86s from Bachmann and Heljan so an 81 would be a match. However perhaps the Hornby 90, 91 and 92 might benefit from a makeover instead.

A NEW tool 81 would be better than re-hashing this one which was never a particularly good model anyway.  There have been reasonable models 85 and 86s from Bachmann and Heljan so an 81 would be a match. However perhaps the Hornby 90, 91 and 92 might benefit from a makeover instead.

/media/tinymce_upload/01c836845e86d5afd93270e505bedb14.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/f9a415fe97f523716e61ba8a9be8e644.jpg A NEW tool 81 would be better than re-hashing this one which was never a particularly good model anyway.  There have been reasonable models 85 and 86s from Bachmann and Heljan so an 81 would be a match. However perhaps the Hornby 90, 91 and 92 might benefit from a makeover instead.

the Bachmann Electrics are terrible but the N gauge lima class 81 could compliment the Triang one!

I've a feeling that this was originally a Hornby Dublo model. Hornby Dublo ceased trading about 1965

Get your facts right TRIANG LINES BROTHERS took over MECHANO LIMITED in 1966 thus ROVEX merged the ranges but what was left at BINNS ROAD closed in 1979!

A quote from Hornby Colin

'Production of Hornby Dublo ceased in 1964 and some of the tooling was purchased by G&R Wrenn Ltd (another subsidiary of Lines Bros.) to launch Tri-ang Wrenn in 1967.'

I've a feeling that this was originally a Hornby Dublo model. Hornby Dublo ceased trading about 1965

Get your facts right TRIANG LINES BROTHERS took over MECHANO LIMITED in 1966 thus ROVEX merged the ranges but what was left at BINNS ROAD closed in 1979!

Hi Colin

Please read my post again.

You will see that I said " I've a feeling that this was originally a Hornby Dublo model."and I also said "Hornby Dublo ceased trading about 1965". I was deliberately vague since I was not 100% certain on either point. At the same time neither point had any bearing on the previous post where I said that the class 81 should not be re-issued, and I stand by my comment which is my opinion.  

I suggest that you adopt a less aggressive tone should we discuss this, or any other, matter

Hornby should bring back the Class 81 it was made by Triang in OO scale and LIMA used to make one in N gauge so that could now be under ARNOLD N and the OO one by Hornby as this Electric is needed so come on Hornby bring back the class 81!

Firstly, no Hornby shouldn't, Hornby aren't here to only be mocked. The get enough of drama already thanks to their ill planned mixed ranges and a few over-priced goods. Why should Hornby re-release such an outdated and incorrect product?

Secondly, Arnold at the moment is doing exceptionally well on the detailing and scale model front, so again why on earth should a great firm like Arnold get such outdated models to the market? It's only damaging to the brand. If it has to be done, it should be a re-tool. However the Class 81 has no funnel and it doesn't puff out steam and smoke and it doesn't whistle...So nope, Hornby won't do it (I'll be happy to be proved wrong).

One gentleman on this forum has been complaining for years about the state of Hornby electric locos but so far his voice has been ignored. Hornby should not re-release any old stock, it's time to move on.

WTD is right...I'll admit to being that gentleman and the only reason for my complaining is because the current AC electric offerings from Hornby are poor in many respects. I've been suggesting models like the Class 86, Class 87, Class 90, Class 91 and Class 92 for almost 6 years. Obviously these models interest the likes of Bachmann, DJM and another manufacturer who will announce one or two soon. Maybe you can contact them and ask.

I'm sorry but that does seem to have a bit of a harsh tone...senior members on this forum have a lot of knowledge, but as humans they'll probably have the tendancy to make an error or two. I think a sligtly politer way of getting your point across could've been used.

Cheers!JB.

However the Class 81 has no funnel and it doesn't puff out steam and smoke and it doesn't whistle...So nope, Hornby won't do it (I'll be happy to be proved wrong).

Huh, so did we all just have a shared hallucination about Hornby making the Class 71 then? I'm not sure that puffs smoke and whistles either!  😛

However the Class 81 has no funnel and it doesn't puff out steam and smoke and it doesn't whistle...So nope, Hornby won't do it (I'll be happy to be proved wrong).

Huh, so did we all just have a shared hallucination about Hornby making the Class 71 then? I'm not sure that puffs smoke and whistles either!  😛

Sorry mate, I was totally taken up by OHE AC electrics...IIRC the Class 71 is a OHE/3rd Rail DC electric locomotive and was limited in region the the SR.

I admit the sight of a Hornby Class 71 does show them doing something different...Let's hope that contiunes.

Is it reasonable to expect Hornby to make examples of every type of locomotive that ever existed?

When I consider what the situation was when I first got into this hobby and compare then and now to mis-quote the Prime Minister of the time "We have never had it so good".  When I got into the hobby seriously Hornby Dublo boasted seven loco types, A4, Duchess, 4MT 2-6-4T, N2, Castle, 8F, and Type 1 Bo-Bo. Triang offered a short Princess (three different liveries) , a Fowler 3F tank , Deeley 3F, 3MT standard tank, A freelance saddle tank, a 350 hp diesel shunter, a diesel dock shunter, a 4w steeple cab electric, a SR EMU and a Met Cam diesel railcar. All of which were barely 'scale' models.  There was about half a dozen 'Transcontinental' types too.  In a similar vein were Trix offerings  none of which at that time were truely recognisable as representing a real locomotive.

Things have certainly moved on a lot since then.

I bought my grandson a Hornby Pendolino set last weekend (R1155) and the model is in my opinion a very good model of its kind. Only four carriages when the real thing is 9 to 11 long BUT there was no-way he could fit all those on his trackmat layout. So here we had an overhead electric multiple unit nicely detailed, accurate so far as I can judge, with working front and rear lights which ran nice and smoothly. He was 'over the moon' as was his dad! So there is a model of a contemporary railway at what I had to consider was a very reasonable price.

The class 71 (HA) is a case on point. Who would have guessed a couple of years ago that this model would appear in any range let alone from two different manufacturers?  Hornby's in three different livery variations incorporating small detail differences such as the rain strip over the driver's window.

There are more than five manufacturers making British OO outline today, Bachmann and Hornby are the biggest, but DJM, Dapol, Oxford, and Heljan with a reasonable catalogue to fill in the gaps. The new phenomenon of large dealers and periodicals sponsoring commissioned locomotives too, is a turn up for the book.

All the principal main line diesel types are or have recently been available RTR, Bachmann offer an 85, and are promising a 90, and Heljan had an 86 until recently, so there are some AC electrics on offer.and with a bit of work the Hornby 91 and 92 could be made into detailed scale models or fairly close to (they are certainly better than what was on offer in 1958).  Olivia trains have made the EM1 recently, and now we have the HA and Heljan have the Metropolitan Bo-Bo so the DC electrics are fairly well covered. Electric traction has always been a bit of a niche in the hobby so I think the response can be regarded as reasonable.

Steam wise there is plenty of choice, although not everything is available currently, there is a vibrant second hand market, and most models produced in the last 20 years can be made to look excellent with a modest amount of work. There are even firms who will do it for you, at a price.

It isn't perfect, but then what is?  And after all is said and done there is still the option to scratch build or build from kits.

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/01c836845e86d5afd93270e505bedb14.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/f9a415fe97f523716e61ba8a9be8e644.jpg A NEW tool 81 would be better than re-hashing this one which was never a particularly good model anyway.  There have been reasonable models 85 and 86s from Bachmann and Heljan so an 81 would be a match. However perhaps the Hornby 90, 91 and 92 might benefit from a makeover instead.

the Bachmann Electrics are terrible but the N gauge lima class 81 could compliment the Triang one!

Except the one shown above ie the Old Lima n gauge one is in fact a class 86

How many people who subscribe to this forum actually model AC electrification on OO to scale?  There are some splendid layouts that feature in the magazines, but I know from bitter experience that modelling overhead and getting it to work (trains collect power from the OHLE) is very close to impossible. The wiring HAS to be over scale to stand up to the forces and accidents it is subjected to.  I built a layout in the 1980s using French made JV Catenary (I still have some of it) but the Lima and Hornby pantographs suffered frequent dewirements and in doing so brought the lot down. (Very much like the prototype!!)  There were gradients on the layout and the additional friction also caused problems.

Quite a few of the magazine layouts cheat by having the pantograph restricted so it doesn't actually touch the wires, and trains are powered conventionally by two rail collection.

When I was a youngster me and my dad, well mostly my dad, made our own overhead system, it didn't work and probably didn't look too good either. Anyway it was a disaster. We damaged it when we put locos and rolling stock on the track, same thing when we cleaned the track and generally when ever we went near the track. Total waste of time.

WTD , much as my own experience, except I actually bought  kits to make it and I hoped to get it to work, and the components  wern't that cheap.  I had the added problem that there was a lifting section  where we entered the room, and to get the overhead to join up when we wanted to run. It never went together as expected.  The transition to some hidden storage sidings was a real nightmare, a dewirement in a tunnel with a curve in it was no joke.

I suspect that one of the reasons that very few people make fine scale UK AC electrics is that there are few masochists who are prepared to persevere and get it to work! Oddly enough from experiences at Model Railway Exhibitions there seems to be more success by German modellers who model their systems. Teutonic dedication perhaps??

• 2 weeks later...

A return of the Tri-ang catenary system later modified by Hornby and re-introdued in the 1980's would be good. As for the class 81, a robust new model would be good, the H/D model wasn't the best and was only viewed as a stop gap model by Tri-ang until they drew up a new model. If Hornby made a new 81 for the Railroad range with less detail it would be good, with places to fit a detailing pack and then introduce it into the main range with all the fally off super detailing. Two models for the price of one set of moulds!

Hi

With all the main lines now electric or being electrified including parts of southern region in 20 years time modellers of tomorrow will want working pantograph and catemary systems because that is all they will know about. There will be some witha nastalgic view on steam and early diesel engine as well as early electrics.

The class 71 with is working pantograph could be the start of a new age of electric locos, with electroen as part of the company group which has already got a proven working catenary syestem it would be simple to them to make UK style masts in OO guage that the cables would fit to make a working catenary system. Dapol have used Summerfelt to make their wires.

As I like all types of locos from Big 4 up untill privatisation I would be happy to see and buy new versions of Classes 76,77,81 82 83 84 85 86 87 90 91 92 all with working pantographs to use on a working catenrary system, plus the like of the steeple cab. 

/media/tinymce_upload/e431d23b55d28599bf587f926acb46cc.JPG The HA (71) operated on the pantograph in many sidings, not just Hither Green. Here is a picture I took at Faversham in the 1970s.

Wires were provided at many locations so they (and the earlier Southern CC1/CC2/20003) could shunt without a conductor rail. 

Archived