BRING BACK THE TRIANG SHORTIE MAIL COACH

Forum-1211528

/media/tinymce_upload/194c4c65fe84e0d44d04d8482a6ce993.jpgThe Triang shorie mail coach is a classic working model it picks up the mail bags and dumps them in the bin. The R23 was first made in the 1950s, by Lines Brothers ive got a number of these Mail Coaches and the trigger on these coaches although slighly different from the present Hornby Mail Coach it will work with the modern mail bag hook and bin! So come on Hornby reintroduce the R23 Triang Shortie Mail coach to your range its time to get the tooling out and make these wonderful little coaches again as i love using them!  

Whilst not upto today's standards, Hornby still have a better operating "Mail Coach" which I think is based on a GWR Collett range of coaches.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/postal-express-train-set.html

I see no point in Hornby releasing models that WILL NOT sell. People already whinge about the lack of detail. And besides do you really know if Hornby owns all that tooling still...if so how sure are you? How many do you think they can sell? It's nowhere near the standards we come to expect today.

Maybe you have some very nostalic attachment to Triang products, but reality is that there's not many who like Tring stuff now, it will stick out like a sore thumb ontoday's layouts.

I'd bet a better product to do would be a Mk1 POS which Hornby have most of the resources and technology for. It will compliment th existing Mk1 range which as we have seen has just been expanded. I understand that Bachmann already do a Mk1 POS but if Hornby can make a funtioning one it will have "PLAY VALUE" and I'm sure many kids will enjoy it (and adults).

My apologies to Colin as it seems that I am always in disagreement, but knowing the current situation well I'm pretty sure out-dated Triang models will do nothing but sit on shelves. And I don't think the tooling even exists anymore!

....and then Tri-ang made their own body, tender, and even some lovelly BFB cast Driving wheels....

And so "Winston Churchill" (Batte of Britain Class) was added to the range!

If you put the original 1960s body alongside a new China made body....it is so close! ;)

But the Tri-ang model doesn't fall apart....as less fine (delicate) details...

Maybe one for the Railroad collection???

The very last models besed on the 1960s tooling were quie good really....they even had functioning slide bars!

The R.23 TPO was a bit short....

The new mai coach is a good replacement....but "Night Mail" on the sides?

Also, the new bin doesnt realy work with the old TPO, as it is designed to be on the other side of the track...and the original bin is also wrong for the new TPO....for the same reason.

The old TPO collected on the right side, but slung out the bags on the other side...not correct...

The newer TPO works correctly, both collection and delivery on the same side...(as did the Electric operated Hornby Dublo TPO!)

Does Royal Mail want a royalty (!) these days?????

Hi Colin

I had one of those in the 1950s and loved it, applying the standards of the time. Now when I see one I'm just appalled by the crudity of the model, but of course, I'm applying the standards of 2016. I would suggest that, if re-introduced it would almost certainly be the worst seller ever - they'd very probably only sell one - to you.

Triang/Hornby produced some nice locos in the 1960s, such as the L1 4-4-0, EM2, B12. but why would any of us want to go backwards?

Sarah,

The old R357 Spam Can is certainly  a good candidate for RailRoad, with Golden Arrow or Devon Belle markings.and a string of Railroad Pullmans in tow.

I agree that the old Royal Mail coaches, had play value because the real TPO still ran all over the UK and represented a well publicised function of the railway. Much less relevant nowadays because youngsters are unaware of these trains.  Really the people who play with trains (with a few exceptions) are now a bit more sophisticated. The current mail coach which picks up and discharges on the same side is a bit more realistic, much as the old Hornby Dublo one did, so is more in tune with today's requirements. 

PP

Some of those models you list HAVE now made a comeback. Olivia's trains reprised the EM2 and Hornby the B12/S69, so why NOT the L1. Now THAT is one worthy of a second go !! It was one of the suite of Series No 2 Specials by Hornby in the 1930s, the Southern L1, the LMS Compound, the GW County 4-4-0 and the LNER Shire/Hunt D49.  All had similar 4-4-0 clockwork or electric mechanisms, but were reasonable representations of the actual locos. The Schools was a Series No 4 toy and so was a companion to the Princess Elizabeth. Modern Hornby brought back the County, the D49 and the Compound, but not the L1. And these (apart from the L1) have also turned up in RailRoad at various times.  I call that unfair discrimination. 

Hornby only introduced Princess Elizabeth in 1939, so it is interesting to speculate if World War 2 hadn't happened and they hadn't decided to go OO instead.  I speculate the next Series No 4 would have been a LNER A4, which in gauge O would have been a pretty impressive model, and the GW King to complete the quartet.  (The Series No 3 models locos were 4-4-2 travesties very loosly based in the Nord / PLM  Atlantic, of Flying Scotsman, Penndennis Castle, Royal Scot and Lord Nelson, only the tenders, livery and smoke deflectors distinguished the different types!)

R.356 "Winston Churchill". Battle of Britain Class....

R.357 is the Brush type 2 "A1A-A1A" Diesel Loco (Later Class 31). The newer Horbvy versions of these had problems thet Tri-ang Hornby versions tended to avoid! 😉

Hornby's later 4-4-0s had the (Class V) Schools instead of the L1! Lack of research as to the Original O gauge locos, or did they just want a "Namer" to match the other 3 Railways 4-4-0s....all named??

The shortie Tri-ang mail coach I'm afraid to say is a definate no. Whilst I love Tri-ang stuff because it was better built i.e. high build quality, had fully servicable motors in the locos and was made robust enough to use everyday, I have to agree with the majority on this one, it's a big no. The current old moulding mail coach is perfectly acceptable and as has been pointed out discharges and loads from correct sides. Model railways are no longer play items alas with most maufacturers aiming models at those who like ultimate detail down to the exact number of rivets and exact rivet positions on a model. The days of models being made for younger modellers are now gone.

Sarah,

The Schools was a Series No. 4 model, as was Princess Elizabeth, not a Series No. 2 Special. 

The L1 was issued contemporary with the County, Hunt and Compound by Hornby in 1929.  The real D49 was first introduced by the LNER in 1927, the LMS Compound from 1924, and the GW County even earlier. Frank Hornby undoubtedly chose his models before 1929 . The real Schools was not introduced by the SR until 1930, so he would have been unaware of it and the L1 was the prime SR 4-4-0 of the time, having been introduced in 1926.

A four coupled mechanism common to each type must have been a big consideration.  The Series No.2 Specials all used the same mechanism, the only difference was that the L1 did not have outside cylinders.

The Schools and Princess Elizabeth did not appear in Hornby's range until 1937 and represented a step change in detail. Even today the Schools and Princess in good condition can command prices well over £1000. The  No.2 Specials somewhat less.

The dreadful Series No.3 locos started to appear in 1926 as the Riviera Blue Train, and the following year the same locos in British liveries appeared.

Archived