Triang Super 4 track Why?

Forum-1211528

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway back to Super 4, another virtue of this track system not mentioned is that it integrates into the Minic Motorways system so you could have a working road system as well and there was a pile of accessories available.

As has been said Tri-ang was way ahead of the old Hornby-Dublo range and was cheaper. Hornby-Dublo was squarely aimed at the middle to upper class buyers whereas Tri-ang was aimed at the working class market, "the people's model railway" manufacturer.

The H/D 2 rail track was fragile with inaccurate sleeper spacing, Super 4 offered accurate scale sleeper spacing and so much functionality compared with it's H/D equivalent and no messy wiring of H/D electrofrog points either, all at much more affordable prices.

Today history is being repeated with Hornby now being priced primarily at the middle and upper class buyers who want scale everything (if only they knew that OO gauge is an inaccurate track gauge) with disposable income, leaving the rest of the marketplace wide open.  It would only take a manufacturer to step in like Tri-ang did and repeat history by aiming at the affordable working class end of the market.

Anyway back to Super 4, another virtue of this track system not mentioned is that it integrates into the Minic Motorways system so you could have a working road system as well and there was a pile of accessories available.

As has been said Tri-ang was way ahead of the old Hornby-Dublo range and was cheaper. Hornby-Dublo was squarely aimed at the middle to upper class buyers whereas Tri-ang was aimed at the working class market, "the people's model railway" manufacturer.

The H/D 2 rail track was fragile and inaccurate sleeper spacing wise, Super 4 offered so much functionality compared with it's H/D equivalent and no mess wiring of H/D electrofrog points either, all at affordable prices.

Today history is being repeated with Hornby now being priced primarily at the middle and upper class buyers with disposable income.  It would only take a manufacturer to step in like Tri-ang did and repeat history by aiming at the affordable working class end of the market.

Isn't that the point of the Railroad range?

Lower priced, less detailed but functional, sturdy models (albeit not a patch on the sturdiness of Triangs offerings). As far as track goes, Hornby seems happy enough with the current system. I think they realise 'serious' modellers will go for Peco or even handmade track, general enthusiasts are happy with the standard track, while those starting out will just use the track that comes in the trainsets.

Good points NFS, yes indeed Railroad does offer some affordability for all, alas the range is very limited.  There is a real gap in the marketplace for an affordable for all model railway system to come along just as Tri-ang did. I agree about the current track systems of course, Peco is also vastly inaccurate but is percieved as superior to the old System Six system Hornby still use.

Maybe there is mileage in  using latest Airfix technology alongside Hornby to produce kits, starting with the simpler Railroad models , working up to high detail models either unpainted or major items like loco and tender bodies and diel, dmu/emu/etc pre-finished.

Maybe there is mileage in  using latest Airfix technology alongside Hornby to produce kits, starting with the simpler Railroad models , working up to high detail models either unpainted or major items like loco and tender bodies and diel, dmu/emu/etc pre-finished.

Triang did try something similar with with it's CKD (completely knocked down) range, but I think logistically, it's cheaper for Hornby to ship completed models from China than individually shipping all the parts. 

Dapol have something similar with a few of their coach kits, but the range is very limited (i think they were initially sold rtr by Airfix GMR)

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna start buying up loads of Super 4. Why? Because I want to run my loco's on a larger temporary floor based layout going from room to room and the Super 4 track is sturdier. My proper layout is very small and I get frustrated with not being able to run big engines with a nice big rake of coaches. Also I can buy some of the large flange Triang locos to run on it as well as the more modern stock. Doesn't matter if its in pitted condition as I can polish it using my buffing wheel and given that it's not being made into a permanent layout I needn't worry too much about reliability. It's still available on ebay and car boot sales. Even new (unused old stock) fishplates are available....

Very interesting.

I have just had a look at the No.5 Catalogue.

This is the one with the VR type Double Ended Diesel Loco....

I would say that the track is not Tri-ang....that is taking th eillustration as factual, and not re-touched?

Some other track systems at this time, while Tri-ang were using Series 3, had fibre sleepers, with the rails attached with various types of clips....

Graham Farish Formoway, etc.?

Having looked at the availability of Series 3 and Super 4 and seen the condition of it, I've decided to get System 6 steel track for the temporary setup I have in mind . There's more available and it's likely to be in better condition. I do have some Super 4 but I don't have the time to resurrect it. 

/media/tinymce_upload/86cbed3dc680d1aed2162de8b91a208b.jpg 

If you mean the track in this picture it IS Series Three fibre based flexible track, R199 sold in yard lengths. Yes they had it in those days too! I suspect a bit of air brushing to make it look shinier than it was in real  life. (Air brushing = an ancient form of Photoshop!)

I still have a few lengths of this, now somewhat tarnished and distorted.

Having looked at the availability of Series 3 and Super 4 and seen the condition of it, I've decided to get System 6 steel track for the temporary setup I have in mind . There's more available and it's likely to be in better condition. I do have some Super 4 but I don't have the time to resurrect it. 

I may be putting some System 6 and Super 4 on EBay soon. It looks pretty rusty though. Am I allowed to put a link on here when I do?

Paul

Not wanting to put words in Adam's mouth, but when we (ComMods) sought guidance on selling. It was deemed to be OK to post a link to ebay providing the poster was NOT having the benefit of 'personal gain' from posting that link. So it was OK to post an ebay link to a product that a third party was selling, but not if the poster was the seller.

The full rationale for that policy was never fully explored, but thought to be (my interpretation of the discussion) along the lines of the adverse impact on the forum harmony if two members started a public forum slanging match, because the ebay transaction went sour.