Stopping smoking.

roythegrass

No not cigarettes but smoking locos of which I have several. Even after a few minutes operating the rails have a coating of black residue adversely affecting the power pickup.
 Forgetting that when I last ran some smoking locos a few weeks ago and had failed to clean the track afterwards, when used this afternoon the locos were juddering, hesitating and, with no input from me, even going into reverse! As soon as the track had been cleaned everything ran smoothly. So I will probably not use these smoke functions in future as it’s too much of a fag (no pun intended) having to clean the track afterwards.

Something I can’t understand. I have a third radius oval with a second radius oval inside that. Whatever oval the smoking loco is run on collects all the residue whist the rails immediately alongside on the other oval remain perfectly clean as do all the trackside buildings and accessories. It’s as if the smoke was being directed under the loco instead of upwards to settle over the entire layout. How can this happen?

Roy     

Air flow dymanics me thinks.........the moving rolling stock will suck the surrounding air to it as it moves through the still air around it. The air with the heavy oil particles in it then stays close to the rolling stock bodies to be deposited along the track it is on rather than the track close by to the side.

The smoke oil is not burned, it is merely vapourized, so the particles don't go up, they drop down all over everything, leaving that lovely black sticky residue you have noticed. Even your scenery will be all oily!

After a time, you will see a ring of filth on the baseboard, where the track runs, as the oil settles, and atmospheric dust sticks to it.

Archived