Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to blame this one on T2B and Peter s - they convinced me I needed an airbrush!  😎

/media/tinymce_upload/aaaeeeb2732412fab45094f9e5e80a21.jpg

I reconciled it using Peter s's beer economy scheme - total cost six pints (~GBP30, AUD54) including postage. Not going to send me broke is it, although if I continue like this this hobby might!

Now I just have to learn to use it, make a booth, get the paint, build a dedicated modelling room . . . . . 

I'm going to blame this one on T2B and Peter s - they convinced me I needed an airbrush!  😎

I reconciled it using Peter s's beer economy scheme - total cost six pints (~GBP30, AUD54) including postage. Not going to send me broke is it, although if I continue like this this hobby might!

Now I just have to learn to use it, make a booth, get the paint, build a dedicated modelling room . . . . . 

A spray booth can be as simple as a large gorcery box.

A spray booth can be as simple as a large gorcery box.

Something like this? Spent 10 bucks for a lazy susan bearing and a circle of craft MDF, topped with an old cutting mat, for the turntable - ply came from the shed. Box came with a whole heap of kits a while back. No extraction fan, but I'm in AUS so I'll just work outside. 😆

/media/tinymce_upload/03378d5596ee350317d69f11c7ea4e59.jpg,

You may find that the compressor pulses the spray action. I prefer a compressor with a tank and regulator for a smooth airflow.

I take your point but I couldn't find one of those for 30 quid.  😳

Yes your right Jeff, I started with a simple compressor just to give spraying a try, I  managed OK and after about a year when I decided I was staying with spraying I saved my pennies and invested in a more expensive system with a tank! But a simple compressor is an excellent start!!

And your spray booth looks great, but if you use acrylics the fumes are minimum!

Looks an impressive kit James, I have tempted by that 1 myself  😀

It's a beauty, I also have a vintage Airfix BI/III...

Yes I had 1 of those a while back, built it about 15 years ago and was a very good kit in its day with bomb trolleys and a tractor. But sadly it's dated now by todays standards. I have just ordered the Horsa Glider so I think the Stirling Mk.IV Glider Tug will be next??

Went on another bit of a spending spree - will need to get building again soon. Couldn't afford, justify (or house) the 'BIG' Airfix kit so thought I'd try this one. Parts count is down somewhat (one third the size, one sixth the price).

/media/tinymce_upload/983b41926ccaf09fe3d26b6b7e2e9f66.jpg

Also been lining Eduard's pockets getting the 1/72 Royal Class FW190-A8 four-model set to go with my recent Spitfire purchase as well as a 1:72 Profipack MiG-15. To make up the various orders I also picked up a few detail bits for another Tiger Moth build, various tools and assorted paints.  Still lots of airfix kits in the stash - so let's get building!

This arrived last week from across the pond.   Hurricane Mark IId conversion parts.  Very nice.  The decal sheet is a bit less than what I was expecting, but it will be no problem.  A desert ground  dio is planned with maintenance being  done on one of the  the cannons with the shroud removed.  These are sharp, flash-free injection molded parts.

/media/tinymce_upload/e4f13f8d15125b20b1b9a75e5d5d6761.jpg

..... an old KP MIG 19 from a well known internet auction site.  It was a challenge ti fit together, but nothing that difficult to overcome with a sharp knife, filler and some pictures of the aircraft!

It came with the MiG 15, 17 and 21 also by KP and the four were under £10.

Airfix?  Bofors Gun and Tractor from the model shop as a Vintage Classic.  No flash, and presented in a nice sandy colour!  Under £10 too which is a great price I think.

Airfix?  Bofors Gun and Tractor from the model shop as a Vintage Classic.  No flash, and presented in a nice sandy colour!  Under £10 too which is a great price I think.

Well, mine had one part plugged vent/lightening hole on the 5 gun wheels. That wheel has been pegged as "the spare", with the plugged hole down.