Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@james_mower and @Ratch

Nice kits. Enjoy building them!  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

I will, currently (still) building this though  😉

/media/tinymce_upload/59aef827bda52c8fe68c9030ae67de95.jpg

Which brings me onto my latest acquisition by Revell..

/media/tinymce_upload/99b5f80fac6af4d5f59e4c253bdfaffb.jpg

Gordon the ship is the Revell (formerly Matchbox) 1:72nd scale Flower Class Corvette. Its massive with over 3000 parts. I started 1 about 15years ago but only got the hull sections and fore deck done before I gave up on it as I was daunted by the sheer scale of the build

@james_mower

Wow, that ship looks impressive! What scale is it?

Your latest purchase of the Ventura Mk. II RAF kit is a good one.  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

As @T2B says it's 1/72nd Scale, the part count is ridiculous and worth noting too - nearly every part needs clean up. I've got about 90 hours work into it so far 😮 I'm having a few days break from it, so I can work on a couple of other kits (M10 & RAF Rescue Launch).

The Ventura is a good kit, having looked at the sprues, it's very clean (and comes with paint masks for the glazing) and was a bargain price on Amazon. I also discovered I'd misidentified the aircraft my Granddad flew as Hudson's - they were in fact Ventura's.

I also have 'another ship kit' on route, plus a new cutting mat and few other bits and pieces.

@T2B

Over 3000 parts?! That does not even look like it contains that many! My goodness. It's very deceiving!  😆  😉  😀

Out of interest, do you still what you built of the kit, or did you sell it?

@james_mower

What needs cleaning on the parts, before they can be assembled together and painted? Factory dust / dirt?

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

@GNR-Gordon-4

Parts needed clean up for flash & burring - it's an old tooling don't forget.

And don't mention the ejector pin and sink marks - there are tons.

I've spent most of the day doing the rear main gun and I've only just now got assemblies to paint.

Ironically Revell did a new tool of HMCS Snowberry a few years back, but in 1/144 scale! I've brought her sister ship HMS Buttercup for myself  😉

I sold it Gordon, went on ebay and effectively got my money back! I had made big plans for it like replacing the 2 single 20mm AA mounts on the bridge wings with items from the Airfix RAF Launch kits and improving the midships AA gun as the Revell moulding detail is pretty poor but as I say in the end decided it would take me a lifetime to complete and wanted to concentrate on my 1:72nd scale aircraft and armour. 

Well at least you got your money back. How much was the kit when it was new and in production?

I don't thtink it would take a lifetime to complete, but certainly a few months or years, depending how long you spend assembling it and how fast you are assembling plastic kits.

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

@T2B

Over 3000 parts?! That does not even look like it contains that many! My goodness. It's very deceiving!  😆  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

Well, FWIW the tool was big enough that the decks and hull had to be moulded in quarters rather than halfs, not shown or mentioned here, but they included a 24  bomb "hedgehog" anti-submarine launcher...

OK so maybe a lifetime to complete was a slight exaggeration but I didn't to commit to a year or 2 to complete a model as at that time I was only modelling 2 or 3 hrs a week. And I bought it for £49.99 from a LMS, but now see they are on ebay for various prices between £150 and £250.

And yes the kit does include the Hedgehog launcher plus full racks of depth charges and stern launchers. 

@T2B

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

Well, FWIW the tool was big enough that the decks and hull had to be moulded in quarters rather than halfs, not shown or mentioned here, but they included a 24  bomb "hedgehog" anti-submarine launcher...

Funny you should mention a hedgehog launcher - it needs a lot of clean up and time to build  😉

/media/tinymce_upload/f4e61217549c3bd432515994ac41a109.jpg

I was gifted these on Christmas day however my initial post of these seems to have gone astray over the holiday period.

/media/tinymce_upload/86adbea6b25743f3a815d4e43c3dcbd8.jpg

The large scale Blenheim. It looks lovely.

/media/tinymce_upload/23d2989491479a1d4059c78ea2831dfd.jpg

Most recent ones are an Airfix Curtis SB2C Helldiver in 1:72, and a Revell A-20 Havoc 1:72, just started on the Helldiver this evening and fell out with it already but i'll keep on going; i HAVE to go into more adventurous kits before i can do anything larger. I have a Matchbox Privateer which i will not touch until i am happy and comfortable, all my recents have been single engined and theyre getting better with each kit! Had a few things going on of late and not been able to get to my kits much in the past few days and i have the remaining decals on another P-51 to finish (i do the wings upper and lower first and the tail, i then varnish over them with Mattcote and do the fuselage the next day; saves me removing decals i just put on with my big clumsy fingers and shaky hands!).