Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before I start the Fokker DR1 and the Camel, I've also just picked up a p-51 Mustang, which I intend building as the Tuskegee Airmen version.

forum_image_62e91a36ebeb4.png.505dec3dfe1bd85823d2afe477596a97.png

Couldn't wait to get started on it, so I've already got going on the 'office'. My research suggests that Interior Green is correct for the side walls of the cockpit, but that the floor was black painted plywood.

forum_image_62e91a3998b9e.png.e5d39daa278b4f361e3bf86237cc9a03.png

I've also added some HT leads from the battery.

forum_image_62e91a3d19222.png.80e14cb79077ffd0a4121baf93800bf7.pngforum_image_62e91a3f9cbf1.png.a528f23b679b6e9e16b667841ce03292.png

I'll probably post some more in due course, but on the Aircraft forum!

I must stop buying Spitfires and get with building the ones I've got - but I couldn't resist this new paint-scheme version.

Hello Null

Not to worry, you only have SKAS(1) or Spitfire Kit Acquisition Syndrome. I have it as well. I also have the relate SKAS(2) variant….F-86 Sabres. The SKAS(1) variant is affecting a large part of the modelling community…. I think you could call it endemic.

It is incurable but only causes minor financial and marital stress.

Cheers

Tim

PS On a brighter note, after 50 years, I have finally been cured of WISS(CF-105), the What If Scenario Syndrome related to the Avro CF-105.

When I've finished my current build (a P51 Mustang) I'm going to be time-travelling back from my usual WW2 to WW1. I recently posted the acquisition of the Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Camel and Fokker Dr.1 - to which I've now added these two:

forum_image_6301fee5d8821.png.6564464ec7c456aa51d5cfbff4bc0bb9.pngforum_image_6301fee83c4a5.png.02786acfaa87a9fe0fb78138bd3bd751.png

I'm especially pleased with the Albatros - it's still in the original shrink-wrap! It'll be interesting to see how the much newer technology and engineering if the BE2c makes my modelling life easier than the much simpler (in terms of parts count at least) rather older technology models.

My first decision will be over whether to take the time to scratch build anything inside the cockpits of the three vintage models....

Went to the local model shop [nice to have one] and bought the Airfix Grumman Wildcat. Not my usual subject, but interesting and a 'new mould' too.

The kit has optional folded wings which is nice, and these are distinctly moulded, together with a pair fully deployed. Very nice for a 'Series 2' kit.

Got it home and ... started on an old Hasegawa Mirage F1C!

Hey ho.

Thank goodness other people suffer from the same affliction - knowing that my 'condition' has a label (SKAS-1) makes it all the more enjoyable!
So I won't worry about it any more...
Have you seen the offer of the six 1/48 Spitfires (you know you want to....I do). https://uk.airfix.com/products/148-spitfire-collection-bundlea14

Thank goodness I only model in 1/72 scale (shortage of funds and display space) otherwise I'd be sorely tempted...

Thank goodness other people suffer from the same affliction - knowing that my 'condition' has a label (SKAS-1) makes it all the more enjoyable!
So I won't worry about it any more...
Have you seen the offer of the six 1/48 Spitfires (you know you want to....I do). https://uk.airfix.com/products/148-spitfire-collection-bundlea14

Thank goodness I only model in 1/72 scale (shortage of funds and display space) otherwise I'd be sorely tempted...

"Shortage of funds" is a big factor these days of course. I do sell some of my older kits that I'm not going to make but it's very much a buyer's market, especially for second-hand models. I don't need the money, I need the space. (so I buy more....it's addictive....wink). Please don't get me wrong. I'm not bragging and I know what it's like to be "hard up". I'll probably end up giving some of them to my nephew who makes makes great jobs of his kits.

• 4 weeks later...

forum_image_632bc07645c3a.thumb.png.1ae7ddea2c151b66bca7d37d51bbd2eb.png

Just arrived, three kits that are definitely vintage classics. I’ve never made the HMS Nelson before so it will be a pleasant change. The Helldiver is an old favourite of mine and the F111 is increasingly hard to obtain at a decent price.

The F111 weapon load is not exactly extensive, consisting of one, two-part weapons pod, shown on the paper bottom left. This looks like the same weapon that has been carried on the centreline of the Frog/ Hasagawa Thunderchief since it was first issued in the sixties, I made the Frog version about fifty years ago. Thing is, in all this time, I have never been able to confirm what kind of weapon this is supposed to represent. I have seen it variously described as a rocket pod, a gun pod, or a dispenser for practice bombs. Does anyone actually know what it’s supposed to be? I think after all these years it's about time I found out. 

At only £2.00 it would have been rude not to buy it! Mind you, I imagine that if I thought that rigging WWI biplanes was fiddly, this is going to be even more of a challenge! Not sure when I'll get round to it, but it'll be a nostalgia trip as I think I remember building it with my grandfather one winter half-term when I was significantly younger....forum_image_632c72665886a.png.bbca0975dd7a9bb0fe46e82483099c14.png

I just got the Airfix 02339 Willys British airborne Jeep. Looks like a really nice kit. Problem is there appears to be 4 different versions to build. There is an American version that uses either a 30cal or a 50cal. Now I have a choice to make OR I could buy and build a bunch of them and not make a choice. What to do?

Randall

Posted at 13:00:48 Thu 22 Sep 2022

it's not a weapon at all. It's a personal baggage container for the crew on overseas flights.

Thanks for that, it makes sense now and obviously explains why I couldn't find it on all the weapon web sites I checked. I think the thing that threw me was the Hasegawa and Frog box art with additional ordnance, especially the latter with the aircraft in the heat of battle. It seems comical now to see a warplane flying over the battlefield carrying a container full of bags, suitcases, and fluffy toy souvenirs, hope it's not considered a breach of the Geneva Convention.

been after the dornier and junkers for some time (all ways going for more than i could afford) so when i saw them and the Me110 i jumped at the chance £30 for all three including delivery, all still sealed in there bags and with good decals just missing there flying hours, still smiling about it now forum_image_63308ebfe701d.png.ba9e81ef8ea130226b5fac2255f8de44.png

• 2 weeks later...