Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

Ha don't want to give the game away but I am considering doing a cut away (hence why I bought 2 kits) similar to my Shackleton build but doing a fabric off with just the geodetic frame left would be a step too far for me!

Am just wondering how long it will be before the likes of Eduard do some extra etch detail sets and mask sets so I can plan my build schedule lol 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha don't want to give the game away but I am considering doing a cut away (hence why I bought 2 kits) similar to my Shackleton build but doing a fabric off with just the geodetic frame left would be a step too far for me!

Am just wondering how long it will be before the likes of Eduard do some extra etch detail sets and mask sets so I can plan my build schedule lol 

Well R for Robert in her restored form is partially frame work, from memory and photo's.

Looking on the Eduard website there are Wellington bits due in the next month or so.

II still think doing the framework would be beyond me lol.

But thanks for that I should have thought of looking at the Eduard website!!

Oh go on, you know you want too  😉

/media/tinymce_upload/2236f67072ba4432f506c8fc80b012ff.jpg

I will put the Shack AEW build on hold and get this built first...

.. if HRMS & another party don't get loco stuff delivered. 

@ James

Seems your awfully keen on removing the fabric from the frame maybe should give it ago?

And being like a kid with a new toy I was going to shove my Spitfire builds aside and start my Wellington tonight (I mean I have waited over a year for it lol) but after work the footie then got in the way! But I bet a few builds are being forgotten about across the country to make space on the work bench for the lastest new tool WELLINGTON?!

submarine spitfire

Does it fly under water 😇

{Boom boom boom tish!}

Nearer to topic, I just got the Revell 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon with the "Spitfire scheme". That can actually be built as an FGR4, but only armed for air superiority and/or QRA missions since the kit only contains AMRAAMx4, Meteorx4, SIdewinder (about L or M)x2, ASRAAMx2, 3x1000l tanks and a pair of French AAMs.

1/44 P-47D Thunderbolt by Minicraft. Spotted this in the clearance section at the local hobby shop a couple of days ago for $2.99 (originall price $11.99! - You must be joking.) Had no idea what it was like, but couldn't resist at that price even though I don't normally built below 1/72 scale. Terrible fit for the wings/fusalage join, but I shall carry on with it. Two decal schemes and 2 canopies (one pre-painted frame and one not) which is nice. I rather like the scheme on the box.

/media/tinymce_upload/a7b0f014381c368906e07ebb0920a7c7.jpg

1/44 P-47D Thunderbolt by Minicraft. Spotted this in the clearance section at the local hobby shop a couple of days ago for $2.99 (originall price $11.99! - You must be joking.) Had no idea what it was like, but couldn't resist at that price even though I don't normally built below 1/72 scale. Terrible fit for the wings/fusalage join, but I shall carry on with it. Two decal schemes and 2 canopies (one pre-painted frame and one not) which is nice. I rather like the scheme on the box.

wow that is small i model 1/72 but i now think that i shoud try one of them it wloud be a challenge

Tamiya set of photo etched micro saws.

Went to a jewlers supply store and picked uo a set of bead reamers, side nippers (Sprue cutters ): I'm now back to my three pairs after I ruined my previous three by trying to sharpen them to take out the nicks from cutting wire, I should know better: and a replacement X2.5 eye glass that clips onto glasses. Also managed to score some elastic invisable thread for rigging, bit on the thick side but as it's multi strand, fine strands can  easily be seperated out. I've been looking for this stuff for ages after hearing about it at our local IPMS meeting. Now i'm itching to try a WWi plane.

Remember we do this for fun                                     John the Pom

On holiday in Cumbria, and visited the Solway Aviation Museum yesterday.   After getting inside the Vulcan, I hit the shop, where I found the best prices on Airfix kits I have seen for a long, long time.    They have (well, had, anyway) a good selection, and I walked away with the Shackleton MR2, the Lancaster BIII(FE) and the Whitley V.   So much for "I only build 1/48"!

wow that is small i model 1/72 but i now think that i shoud try one of them it wloud be a challenge

Hello Mr de Havilland - If you do descide to have a go at a 1/144, you might want to avoid this Minicraft Thunderbolt. Working on it some more over the weekend, and it really does have a lot of fit issues. I'm sure some other, more knowledgable memebers on the forum would be able to suggest some good 1/144 scale options for you. Avoid this one, unless  you enjoy, not enjoying your build. lol.