My list for 2018

Valenta Digital

My opinion re the B16 was coloured when I worked in the Newcastle Traffic control.  I worked alongside men who had been controllers and signalmen in the North East. They recounted tales of how they managed the trains in the days of steam. To a man they agreed that if York notified them of a 'brakie' goods coming down with a B16 on the front, they knew they would have to put them in at Castle Hills, Darlington, Linger and Die, and at Ferryhill at the very least, to let the following EPs get a clear run, woe betide them if they listened to the driver pleading to give them a clear run through, there would be a 'please explain' waiting for them next day for delaying the services! If it was a V2 or a B1 no problem!

• 2 weeks later...

As for locos, LMS Turbomotive, Rebuilt and Unrebuilt W1, X class and Z class tank locos.

Servicable motors too.  A retro catalouge ala Tri-ang style, and the introduction of a Vintage range with some old favourites such as the 0-4-0 Dock Authority shunter complete with original power unit but with a five pole armature, glazing, LED lighting and DCC socket.

• 1 month later...

OO Gauge:-

I am happy that Hornby are finally doing a Class 87, with that I would like to see a Class 86. I heard a rumour that Hornby were planning to do a Class 91 but decided against it as it would cost more than the Class 87 if you take into regard the Mk.4 coaches and Mk.4 DVT.

Other than that I'd love to see some nice re-liveries on existing tooling - Arriva Class 08, new Virgin Trains Class 390 Pendolino, DCR Grey Class 56.

N Gauge:-

The N gauge Brighton Belle seemed to have been a success, so I'd love to see some more N gauge stuff, if not maybe a re-run of the Brighton Belle in a different livery. I know in OO gauge they've done about 3 or 4 variants.

/media/tinymce_upload/5c5cdffab09d269c7ceb6bbbbaeac165.jpg 

How about this nice little hopper wagon for next year?

I'd agree with any wagon suggestions, Hornby really need to expand the range of wagons (i.e. new tooling ones), too many of those stone age wagons with moulded on tension locks. If they claim they sell like hotcakes but refuse to atleast update the coupling then I'll be happier if they atleast do more wagons apart from those ancient ones.

A G5, J21, B16 and an A8 have been on my list for years. Still no sign of any of them. If it's going to be as long a wait as it was for the Q6 I'll give  up. Will have run out of life expectancy !!!

That was precisely why I started buying and building kits and butchering RTR models close in appearance  to the types I wanted for my collection. I reasoned that no manufacturer would consider SE&CR and associated types. (The Southern had always been the poor relation) So I aquired some SE Finecast kits while I was still earning wages and put them away for my retirement so in my loft I had at least 2 Maunsell Moguls, 3 Wainwright Cs, a few Wrenn R1s and  Airfix14xx to turn into Hs, a DJH D1 (and a Golden Arrow kit  ditto), a Golden Arrow kit air-smoothed Merchant Navy,  some No Nonsense and Phoenix kits for 4Sub, 2EPB, 4EPB  and 2Hal emus, Kirk Maunsell coach kits, all waiting the happy day when I didn't need to get up at unreasonable o'clock and head off for a day's graft!

And so then Bachmann brought out the N, and later the C, and then the 2EPB, Hornby introduced the Maunsell coaches, the 2Hal and now the Merchant Navy and the H. I am still awaiting the D1 and 4Sub, but they have otherwise exceeded my wildest dreams. I would never have anticipated a Wainwright P for example.

So get yourselves a few kits and spirit them away, build one or two and you will be surprised how quickly that encourages the manufacturers to produce them for you! 😆

Oh dear! That would be a pity, Bachmann already do one, and it isn't the most popular of locos, even amongst Southern fans. I already have a Bachmann one, and I wouldn't want another.

A Maunsell  U' 2-6-0 would be a much more popular choice if it has to be another Southern model, but frankly there is much more to have a go at such as something Scottish or North Eastern which would please a lot more people.  

Yes, not long now, and I don't expect any of these, but they would be nice for the future.  I guess not quite the same appeal as yet another SR loco, but:

1) Train pack featuring Black 5 with 3 maroon Mk1s in West Coast Railways guise, with Jacobite nameplate

2) Train pack featuring K1 in LNER green (which was prototypical for preserved loco!) with 3 green and cream tourist coaches

3) ex-Lima Class 27 in Blue (post TOPS) with Scottie Dog logo.

4) Re-release ex-Lima Class 156 with modified undercarriage in Barbie livery.

Archived