TTS class A3 & A4 Sound decoder speaker fitting issues

Tazzi Tiger Australia

Fitting issues with Class A1 & A3 R8106 - TTS sound decoder in OO Hornby Flying Scotsman R3086. And Class A4 R8107 - TTS sound decoder in Mallard locomotive from set R1202.

I need to fit the speakers in the front of the locomotives, but the supplied speaker in both TTS sound decoders are too large.

The TTS sound deocder R8121 - Class 66 has a smaller speaker that might fit in the front of both locomotives. 

But can this be purchased separately? or source for somewhere?

Kind regards

Tazzi Tiger Australia

Any replacement speaker should be 8 ohm impedance and 1 Watt rated.

If lesser impedance you risk overdriving the amplifier with the higher volume gained and if higher impedance you have to drive the amplifier harder to get the same volume level.

Rob

Look up the service sheet for your particular model A4, that will tell you how to remove the tender body........decide what space you have available to fit a 'sugar cube' speaker then get the largest to fit in the space rated at 8 ohms, 1 watt........some newer locos have a pre-designed space for the round speaker, older ones don't.......it is a budget price product so it needs fettling in many cases...........HB

Just got a tts decoder for a Mallard, The speaker is obviously too nig to fit in the body. Secondly I have noidea how to take the tender apsrt. Also if I foit a sugar cube speaket which one? It also occurs to me why do Hornby sell kiyt that is recommended for a loco bugt don't fit ?

Any idea how many different Mallard variations there are . Times that by the number of other loco types and variants and you would need as many bespoke kits as you have R numbers in the catalogue. Impossible to market at any price, never mind the TTS price.

As stated modelling skills are required not plug and play skills.

Rob

I spent most of Sunday afternoon fitting an A3 TTS speaker/decoder into A3 Minoru, which came DCC ready and with a space in the tender for a speaker clearly indicated, but the TTS speaker wouldn't fit (which surprised me since it is the latest loco drive model).  So I had to hack away most of the moulding beneath the removable coal load.  It was relatively hard work because although the plastic wasn't that thick, it was very awkward to get to and the handrail on one side of the tender got damaged in the process.  It took several adjustments to get it right.

We seem to be losing our modelling skills in favour if its not P-n-P then I’m getting a lawyer.

I remember as a spotty youth taking anything and everything to bits to suss out how it worked and could I improve it , or even put it back together.

I used to rewind slot car motors by experiment to see which gauge wire and how many turns would best suit the track I ran on.

I used to build model aeroplanes with the most bizarre aerodynamic configurations just to see if they would fly.

I was trying to motorise Airfix car kits before we even had motors small enough to fit in them.

Come on people step outside the box and stretch your mind and improve your skills.

Someone used to have the signature line - don’t give a kid a computer game, give him a lawnmower engine to take apart - great advice.

.Rob 

Whilst I appreciate that there is a miriad of combinations I still can't understand why Hornby didn't use a much smaller speaker at the design stage for their stand alone sound decoders and subsequent model releases. This would have alleviated most of the problems that are cropping up here, especially in the older models, making it a more pleasurable experience. Certainly for people less proficient in certain skills. Also whilst primarily a hobby for people interested in modelling and expanding their skills there are some who do just want it easy to do. Personally I would make, if at all possible, every effort to cater for both.

I did airfix planes,engines etc etc but I'm not sure ripping a perfectly good model loco  apart is"modelling".

Ripping anything apart is not modelling, any fool can do that. Modifying and/or building a loco to achieve a certain requirement and standard can be seen as modelling - in my view anyhow.

Hello all train enthusiasts 

I have fitted a LokSound 50326 (8 ohms x 1 watt) sugar cube speaker, in the Flying Scotsman locomotive under the steam funnel, held in place with masking tape (remember to unsolder the speaker wires at the speaker).

I tested the original speaker during programming the functions into the iPad. The bass sound is a little better then Lok Sound 50326 speaker but LokSound (14mm x 12mm x 5.5mm) fits easily inside the locomotive.

The LokSound speaker does not polarity markings positive / negative on contacts, research states speakers work in AC current, so if only one speaker is fitted, it does not matter how you contact positive & negative wires.

Now back to the train shop and buy another sugar cube speaker for the Mallard TTS sound decode.

Again thankyou for all the comments.

Kind regards 

Tazzi Tiger Australia

Regrettably, my son falls into the brainless category. He's got a 'Masters' in some computery stuff, but a mechanical device defeats him.

I found him, t'other day, puttng all his considerable weight on the door-handle, and grousing that the lock was jammed, so he couldn't go out.

I suggested he tried UNLOCKING it!

If his sort take over the world, we'll need help!

😛

What one needs is a mastery in common sensory Eric.

Rob, these days it’s getting more complicated than just plus and minus with sound bars doing phase shifting such that their multiple drivers reinforce in particular directions to give surround sound from a single composite unit.  Will be just a tad difficult to do it on OO scale though. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi if you want a speaker that fits most locos  the AB -240 RC WILL DO THE JOB YOU CANFIT THEM INTO BACHMAN JINTY 3F WITH OUT ANY PROBLENS VERY NEAT SLIM DECODER  .THE BEST WAY TO GET THE SPEAKER TO GIVE OUT THE BEST SOUND IS  MAKE A SOUND CHAMBER OUR PLACE CARD OVER THE SPEAKER AND CUT THE SPEAKER SHAPE OUT AND PLACE ROUND SPEAKER .I FIT THIS SPEAKER IN MOST OF MY LOCOS SUCH HAS THE CLASS 37 THEY ARE VERY SMALL.GO TO COSTAL DCC  TO PURCHASE UK LOOK UNDER SPEAKERS ABS-240-RC 8OHM 1WATT  MINIATURE SPEAKER WITH PEEK CONE SIZE 25X9MM.

Archived