H S T faster in reverse

Wellwhynot

You will see this problem if the commutator has rotated slightly relative to the armature.

A bit like advance and retard on your car ignition, if anyone is old enough to remember when you could and had to fiddle with it.

Normally the pole windings are short enough to prevent this happening and the commutator is firmly fixed to the shaft but it can happen That it gets displaced. Check alignment twixt the poles and the commutator segments for symmetry.

Rob

Complete newbie here but I have the same problem and I wondered if I had the drive car at the wrong end of the rake???

Also Ive just purchased a dcc set and the 125 runs in the opposite to the direction selected on the controller. Any help appreciated

Sorry howbiman dont think ive explained correctly

The 125 is a loco I have had for a long time and was running it on a dc layout with a standard hornby contoller. I have since bought a hornby pendellino dcc set. when i placed the 125 on the dcc track it travels in the opposite direction to what is selected

hope that makes sense 

@howbiman.......its ok we all have moments like that me more than others..... yes the 125 is the one without the decoder and yes Ive ran it a couple of times of the select (I know its not recomended but wanted to run two trains at the same time) and thats when i found it ran in the opposite direction.

@Rog(RJ).... Yes I did run it on address zero as the instructions with the select said that was what to do, and after two mishaps (thank you buffer stops) Ive not run it since.  It would be nice to find out if its me that as got the whole rake set up the wrong way ie should the drive train be at the front or rear? is it because Im running a dc loco on a dcc track or is it something else

As member GNR-Gordon-4 has said "If you want your HST to run faster going forward, then swapping the driving car’s around", but I think he meant to take the HST bodies off the loco chassis and swap them around instead So your leading HST Driving Car is your faster #1 end and the DVT will be the slower #2 end if you just running it on a single radius two line. I was lucky to by some extra coaches from another set (still to renumber them) on eBay. They had the same Driving and DVT cars Maiden Voyager and The Lady In Red and listed as non working. I got a good deal on the set and I also got the motor run again after a good clean and a bit of maintenace work. So I have the bodies swapped over that where I can have either the MV or LIR as the main motor driving #1 end. If I have any trouble later I will have a back up set, or I may rename and renumber them with decals and name plates.

• 5 years later...

Resurrected old thread or not, one reason for faster one way than the other could be worn brushes making better / more consistent contact going backwards.

If this is a Ringfield motor powered unit, this should be an easy fix with a service, clean and potentially brush change.

Al.