Hornby DCC Installation Sleeve: What Happened to This?

RDS

By 'jacket' I presume you mean the heat-shrink insulating sleeve.

Possibly it was discontinued, as people were frying the decoder with the hot-air gun, trying to shrink the sleeve tighter!

And - as they are only DCC ready, they don't have a decoder to insulate, so Hornby are saving abnout 2p on each loco!

Do you mean the decoder insulation sleeve?.........yes, you're correct Jacob, not seen it included with recent models....maybe because so many decoders being used now are of various sizes.........another small saving Hornby can make............HB

I don't know what it's called. It's a little black thing, with a folded up piece of paper with ink on it telling you were to put it and what to do with it. I don't even know what material it's made of. I ahev never touched one, or opened a packet up.

It's defintely not the red jacket that Chris has posted. I have seen that come with any Hornby locomotives before.

Heat shrinking insulating sleeve - That's sounds a proper name for it. Apprantely they were no good anyway, so here is another rreason why Hornby no longer supply it.

GNR-Gordon-4

Given that Hornby in their TTS installation guide recommend a single layer of sellotape as insulation there may have been a sea change of policy about heat shrink sleeves hence dropping them from the packaging, which also saves them a penny or two. Their old decoder installation guides still show that awful sticky electricians tape.

All told its not a life changing event to have them in the box or not. I use medical tape now my supply of sleeves has run out. Others use Kapton tape. The choice is yours and not worth arguing over.

Rob

If you could buy it as a Hornby spare part it would likely be silly money. If you want to buy sleeves to put in your boxes then get it in long lengths from an electronics supplier for much less money and cut it to suit.

I would leave the title as is due to much of the discussion talking to sleeves and jackets.

Rob

When I purchased the following, all brand new, these all came with the DCC Installation Jacket, due to them being DCC Ready locomotives:

R9231 Emily

R9257 Spencer

R9684 Murdoch

R9749 Spencer (Limited Production)

But when I purchased the following within the past year and are currently made products, brand new condition, which are also DCC Ready, they did not come with the DCC Installation Jacket:

R9289 Edward

R9290 James the Red Engine

R9291 Gordon the Blue Engine

R9292 Henry the Green Engine

Why is this, out of interest? I don't do Digital and I don't think I ever will, so this piece to me useless, but I was just wondering why from around 2015, that Hornby have no longer been including them with their DCC Ready locomotives?

GNR-Gordon-4

I have changed the title to remove the word 'jacket' as requested by Jacob and generally tidied up the thread.  Some posts still refer to the word 'jacket' but contain enough meaningful information, that they have been left in place.

(Sorry Jacob but these actions take your post count below that magic number for now!)

I'm very sorry, 2e0dtoeric. As usual, it was my fault that tidying up work taken place on this forum, as used the word "jacket", instead of the word "sleeve", that got people talking about actual jackets that one wears, which brough up all sorts of discussions about jackets, rather than the DCC chip sleeve itself. Anything being spoken about in this topic, apart from this piece is off topic, hence the tidying up and deletion of almost all of the posts here.  😳 😇 😉 😆 😀

GNR-Gordon-4

There was nothing wrong with the J word.

Used a lot for something that covers and insulates, and more accurate than the S word in this application.

What's the matter with you guys?

Absolutely...

Jacket potatoe and Sleeve Valve engine.

😉

Archived