Tri-ang rocket launcher wagon

Rana Temporia

Has anyone seen a source for a new missile for one of these wagons? I know they are available for silly money but there may be something available in a pound shop somewhere on a toy That will do the job. I have got cars for car transporter wagons from pound shops with no problem. 

This is the Battlespace Version, R.219K (1966 - 1971)

/media/tinymce_upload/3bb0c6d38d5efe19d332fb874cfaf003.jpg

The rocket, with a Battlespace 'Commando'...

/media/tinymce_upload/758b722d471f28dfe92caed621db938f.jpg

The rocket is hollow, (with a solid 'rubber' nose) and has a round hole in the base, which fits over a brass collar on the launcher.

"We have Lift Off"

/media/tinymce_upload/f9c642892e68d0655e45dc6355b35b23.jpg

Thanks for the replies And pictures. I had one of the wagons when I was young along with the airplane launching wagon which got reduced to a trestrol wagon when the elastic band snapped. I have no idea what happened to the rocket launcher but I definitely don’t have it now.

I recently got two of the rocket/missile wagons in a box of bits Which are grey with blue launching mechanisms. There are spare rockets available but they are usually expensive and there must be a cheap alternative available that’s close enough for me!

I threw some of the NERF bullets away a few months ago that had been left on my front lawn by the local cherubs. I’ll keep an eye out for some more. 

There are a number of Corgi Honest John replica missiles for sale. I don’t know if they’d fit this wagon though. There must be another source of similar plasticky red missiles out there without having to pay extortionate money. I know I’ve seen something similar in a £1 shop but couldn’t find anything last week. 

The Dinky Toys Honest John Missile was used by Tri-ang Hornby (Meccano had been taken over by Tri-ang in 1964) with the Rocket launcher, as used on this wagon, but mounted on the base from the Tri-ang Ralways Goods Yard Crane (which was the 'small' crane on a special platform base....) as part of the Battlespace series...

http://www.tri-angrailways.com/images/Honest_John.jpg

Thoogh the misile should fit the launcher, it seems to be a bit long to fit the R.216(K) Rocket Launcher wagon...

http://www.tri-angrailways.com/images/Bobol_launcher.jpg

Tri-ang Hornby Battlespace

R.216K Tactical Rocket Launcher

With 'Big X'Missile

Khaki livery, with Red and Black 'Big X' Missile.

The R.216 Rocket Launching Wagon was the first 'military' wagon made by Tri-ang Railways, in 1957.

The wagon was made from the first type of R.110 Bogie Bolster Wagon, fitted with a Rocket Launcher as fitted to a Tri-ang MINIC 000 Push-and-Go Series M.328 Low Loader with Rocket projector road vehicle made in the 1950s.

The Tri-ang Hornby 'Battlespace' version R.216K was made from 1966 to 1967, and catalogued until 1971 to clear stocks from the warehouse and stockists.

When the rocket launcher is loaded, pressing the trigger on the launcher releases a spring loaded collar, which pushes the rocket upwards, and into the air.

Cast metal bogies (for a low centre of gravity) with open axle boxes.

Originally supplied with 7 Battlespace 'Commandos'.

There are six different figures in the first set of six issued. The seventh figure was a random selection, and inserted into the special recess in the Diorama box front.

There are two versions of the first figure set.

One has 'HONG KONG' on the bottom of the bases, the other has no wording.

(A later issue consists of seven different figures, different from the first set.)

@Rana Temporia; Posted at 16:14:26 Mon, 23 Jul 2018; Approved/Moved at 08:41:27 Tue, 24 Jul 2018

Thank you for posting that image.  😀

I have never seen one of these launcher flatbeds before. It's a strange piece. Next time I go to any model shop, toy and / or train fair, model railway exhibition, etc, I will be looking out for one. Not to buy, just to look at it. I want to see one in the flesh.

GNR-Gordon-4

Archived