R3606 Brighton Belle

Hilux59721707820819

If this query relates to the new version of the BB, then this extract below was taken from the Hornby product page:

/media/tinymce_upload/783f72eab34efac6b757189197909bf5.jpg

However, the description goes on to say:

/media/tinymce_upload/34154f56a71f889dce872219252f0974.jpg

The illuminated table lamps will therefore obviously be powered from the track via the stated bogie pickups. The unanswered question is, "is the Directional Lighted Headcodes" only on the front power car or both cars. If only on the front, then I would take that to mean one decoder. If both cars have directional lighting then two decoders would more likely be needed.

I appreciate that this does not actually answer your question, but the information might be helpful to others.

• 2 months later...

I've resurrected this post as having bought the latest coach pack a little while ago, I am going to need the R3606 Driving and trailer cars at some stage. I've just looked on ebay, and two offerings show the box, and on the front top right-hand corner of the box there is a small "banner" that says "Pullman coaches have working lights that operate when the train is in motion". Surely if this is a DCC item the lights shound be on as soon as the loco(?) is placed on the track?

• 4 weeks later...

just got this set for Christmas and the power car is not running at all.maybe has a short circuit

I was going to check the DCC plug but I have no instructions in the box so not sure how to remove the body don't want to break anything  

can anyone tell me how to remove the body or post the instructions for me to take a look at 

if not I will have to sent it back for a replacement but wanted to check the simple things first 

Had a look on Google about removing the body you put a business card or credit card down the sides

Decided to risk removing the body as I would have had to anyway if it was working to fit a decoder.

When I removed the body I couldn't see anything wrong with it . everything looked ok 

I decided to check the DCC blanking plug as that was the only thing I could think of

I fitted a different blanking plug and it worked so must have been a faulty blanking plug 

Now I have the unit working I will give it a good test over the next few days before fitting a decoder.

Hopefully I will have no more problems

Good for you, braver than me. So much for quality control.

That's what I thought yelrow no quality control couldn't have been tested at the factory 

I will email Hornby and see if they can send me the operating and maintenance instructions 

These instructions are for the R3184 2 car set, should be similar........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/673626660b33cef1517f67b040daa8d0.jpg

Thanks for the instructions howbiman . the only thing that looks different is the circuit board.its now a lot smaller and fits in a plastic housing 

There’s also a chance that the blanking plug, rather than being faulty, was pushed in too far and shorting on something behind. 

I had already checked that Fishmanoz .

There was nothing wrong with the socket and that can't Short-circuit on anything as on this latest model it's all screwed to a plastic housing at the top of the seating unit

That was  my first thought about the blanking plug too or maybe a bit of bad soldering on the socket  but it turned out to be the blanking plug  itself . 

I now have the unit running with no problems 

• 1 year later...

On pages 50-60 of the Hornby Catalogue 2020 Edition 66, R3606 Brighton Belle 1967 is featured as a two-car set. On page 54, R3606 is listed as being part of the 2020 range. However, there is no mention of R4871 the 1967 Pullman Cars Pack which goes with this set.  

The 1960 Brighton Belle, R3184 was previously dropped from the range and R3606 Brighton Belle 1967 had with R4871 intermediate cars apparently replaced it.

The difficulty is that the 1967 Belle, R3184 as connecting drawbars like the 4VEP, whereas R3606, the 1960 Belle has conventional hook-and-bar couplings fitted into NEM pockets. The 1960 set is supplied with alternative close couplings. 

Consequently, it is important to note the centre cars for the 1960 Belle cannot be used with the 1967 Belle and vice versa.

What I want to know is

The illustration shows R3606 with apparently having connecting drawbars again as with R3184. Is this an illustration of R3184? In other words is the illustration of the previous model and will R3606 have hook-and-bar couplings?