14XX (R2381) Traction Tyres

derek_dawson

Hi all I have a Hornby 14xx which has just thrown a traction  tyre but unable to locate one anywhere not even able to get wheel sets for it. This seems to be a widespead problem so suprised (or not suprised) why Hornby have not done another production run. Can anyone advise on my options as it seems a shame to loose a good loco for this. It is DCC and only used to haul one autocoach Thanks

Just for the benefit of other members who might be considering trying to assist. Some additional information that Derek omitted to include:

Hornby Service Sheet is 227G.

Set of four traction tyres X8063 (out of stock at Peter's Spares).

Wheel set X8816 (out of stock at Peter's Spares).

I've never tried it but there is a product called Bullfrog Snot and a bit pricy when compared to a set of tyres see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Bullfrog-Snot-Liquid-Traction-Tyres-for-Model-Railways-Slot-Cars-Etc/1560502663

I have several 14XX of Hornby, Airfis and Dapol parentage, all but one withdrawn from service due to traction tyre issues. Can someone confirm if the crank pins unscrew or some kind of push fit as this seems essential for refitting the tyres. However I have lost patience with most of mine and will be canabalising the front wheels of some to make others work as traction tyre free models. 

Someone else suggested cutting narrow rings from a larger diameter heat shrink sleeve and then heat shrinking them onto the wheel rims. Never tried it myself, but it sounds plausible.

In my exepirence, spare parts are made and then that stock lasts a few years before anothere bathc gets produced. Perhaps the traction tyres for the 14xx has not been oroduced for a few years and if everywhere has sold out of them, which they seem have done just so, then another batch is due to be made.

GNR-Gordon-4

I have the Warley 14XX model released last year and one traction tyre has recently disintegrated. No one has stock, Hornby Customer Service Mark Lodge tells me they are no longer available despite it being a current model in their line up. The suggestion was to return the model to the retailer for a refund since it is less than 12 months old.

Come on Hornby get a grip you should support your current range especially when the instruction sheet on a less than 12 month old model states spare tyres available direct from Hornby.

The replacement wheel sets are also no longer available.

Mentioned earlier I think, but worth consideration.

Are there any other models with similar-sized or very slightly smaller wheels requiring traction tyres?

Agreed that if the tyres are narrower than the Hornby norm, it could be difficult, or tedious, to trim down.

Al.

I called around about a dozen smaller model shops until I found one with 6 in stock so bought all 6 so plenty of spares until they perish. I need to rethink buying new Hornby locomotives this is the third spares issue in 5 months on a current production model. I think Hornby expect people not to use the locomotives and just keep them in the box.

I have quite a few assorted unused traction tyres from Hornby and Bachmann. Had a look to see if any were suitable for the 14xx but they had all perished. I got rid off all my tyred locos asap. 'orrid things. 

I have seen quite a few people on here say that the locos run OK without them. Guess it depends on the loco. Maybe a wheel change should be considered.

@Derek_Dawson

If you ask the moderator to contact me I will inform him of where at least one pair of tyres was available to purchase as of yesterday.

@Walkingthedog

The 14xx runs fine without tyres until it reaches the points then the grooves in the wheels make it jump the check rails. Sadly I was unable to find a replacement wheel set they had sold out long ago.