Chrome painted 28XX

81F

A hole in some mugs bank balance probably.

They were given as retirement and special occasion models.  The finishing is so poor even for a factory prototype, I have seen a couple of these over the years and the finish has always been near perfect.  The transfers are originals but aren't great on the ebay example and there is chrome on some wheel spokes, tender finish is poor . This makes me think considering into the equation the age that it isn't the real deal.

Time to chrome some locos and top up my pension.

• 6 months later...

Just bought a second hand  LIMA 26 off ebay from a large model shop. The description said that the paint needed attention. On receipt I noticed that the chipped rail blue was starting to reveal Chrome. With a bit of scraping using the trusty thumbnail U was able to expose eben more Chrome.

Consequently I am contemplating uncovering all of the chrome. Sadly I cannon remove much more as the rest of the paint seems to be a bit stronger so I am contemplaing using model strip to det the rest off on the basis that modelstrip would not shift the chrome plating from my 28XX. Only trouble is I cannot find where to get any modelstrip from. Tried google but what it suggested would get me in serious trouble with SWMBO! 

Should it all go wrong I can always respray it rail blue which is what I wanted.

@81F 

I understand that you can use neat IPA to strip paint from plastic bodied models although I dont know what effect it would have on the chrome plating.  You have to immerse the body in a tall jar and seal it and leave for twenty four hours or so.  IPA can be bought very cheaply in bulk from eBay.

Hope this helps

Buyer beware comes to mind on these chrome painted locos.  The real mccoy is chrome plated and not painted.  Loads of them about, not suprising when you consider 2000 people worked at the old Margate factory. There are also loads of fakes about usually chrome painted and the odd factory prototype chrome painted so it's a very dodgy area to be buying.

It's not the irst time Hornby/Triang have made a loco with metal plating, inthe 1960's Triang made a TT guage Merchant Navy and coaches that were gold plated and sold as "The Sunshine Express" they were as far as I can remember sold through the Kays or Freemans catalogues I seem to recall it was Kays, I wasnted to upgrade from Horndy Dublo to Triang TT as all my friends had, the ideal way to start was a train set for Christmas, when I saw what they were offering my heart sank I did not want that and alone remaned faithful to 00, the sets occasionally crop up on eBay.

The paint stripper came today - realy good stuff and doesn't appear to damage the plastic. However this has revealed that the LIMA 26 was not chrome plated after all.

Insread the "chrome" where the paint had chipped of are etched grills, hatch cover and headcode discs so it looks like a standard LIMA loco that someone has detailed/converted so it looks as thought I will end up with the blue diesel  I wanted in the first place.

Once all the paint is off I may start a new thread showing its refurbishment especially as I may have some questions.