The Grafar Americiqn OO Loco was made by Rivarrossi!

The Graham Garish OO American loco they did in the Fifties was actually manufactured by Rivarossi so Peter Graham Farish had obviously done a deal! Rivarossi have done a lovely job with this loco it looks and runs great but it was short lived as many Farish OO locos vanished from the range very quickly as in 1980 when they stopped making OO there was only the 94xx Pannier tank left! So what do you think of this loco?/media/tinymce_upload/f6e964f757d885d385809f24d4a6e853.jpg

The Rivarossi Hudson was HO scale, not 00.

It was a standard model also marketed by Rivarossi themselves and AHM. As far as I can tell, it was last released under Hornby as HR2007 - NYC5438. A much improved version than the one shown above.

Great picture of the wooden box, I have seen examples of the loco but not the actual box before. I think the coaches were cellulose acetate like the Grafar Pullman coaches. Tri-ang also used the same plastic early on and it distorts over time leading to the warped and ‘sat-on’ look in the photo. The loco had a cast metal body which should be OK but a lot of the early Grafar loco bodies suffer from metal fatigue and disintegrate, as did some of their chassis. It’s not a new problem for the likes of Hornby and Bachmann!

In those days Grafar Limited were in Bromley Kent they didn't move to Romany Works in Poole till the sixties! By then this loco, the Black Five, Battle of Britain, Castle and Prairie Tank were all finished its a shame Wrenn didn't buy the Grafar tooling when they stopped making OO in 1980 by then the only loco was the 94xx Pannier Tank!

• 5 months later...

The Loco is a New York Central "J" Class Hudson, so good eye. This is the class of Fast Passenger Locomotives meant to pull their top trains, such as the Twentieth Century Limited. Later versions had the famous streamling.

Tenders were *huge* because the distances were great, and this one even had a scoop to gather water from track pans. More room for Coal!

It looks like a 2 Axel Bogey (sp?) on on end, and a 3 Axel on the other end of the foremost Coach.I can't take my eyes off of the trusses (which were not on any equipment like this in the US).