Modelling a Royal Train

81F

I have long wanted to model the GWRs Royal train (or any other from the late Victorian/Edwardian period).

Having just finished uploading a 3d virtual model of a GWR Tadpole* (which recycled the underframe of Oueen Victorias Royal saloon, I decided to have a go at the body. Below is a computer generated image of the entire vehicle (less wheels & couplings (which will be Hornby) and buffers (Turned brass frome somewhere).

/media/tinymce_upload/079f8f0d236b5fcdcf37810c002246e6.JPG

As I only have drawings for the Tadpole* the body has been drawn from photographs so I do not know if the height is right so have ordered a test print in the cheapest material to check the propostions look right against other coaches and that the components actually fit!

The loco I intend to use will be a modified  Hornby Dean Single decked out with suitable insignia (Royal Coat of Arms). The latter seemed an unsurmountable task until I found lapel pins om eBay. In this case those for the General Sevice Corps of the British Army. The photo below shows a pin as supplied rested on the smokebox of a Hornby Dean Goods for comparrison.

/media/tinymce_upload/61dd5efb1a8a6452004ffcde06a544ef.jpg

It's probably around one or two millimetres too big all around (depending upon which photo/arms you look at) but is not likely to look too bad once fitted to a Single.

Very good...

I like the pin badge coat of arms...

Have you seen photos of the replica royal train locomotive at the GWR Windsor station?

There used to be more of this replica, but all except the actual locomotive (without the tender!) was removed some time ago...

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-queen-locomotive-windsor-england

/media/tinymce_upload/867737ad1bdb028aa268dc0505b70c38.jpg

Photo by Jacqueline Banerjee from:-

http://www.victorianweb.org/technology/railways/64.html

The preparations for the Royal train were always very detailed.

Any lesser train that might get in the way had to be re-timed. These might be shunted into loops and sidings ten minutes before the Royal was due. 

Senior officials (Station masters or above) had to be on duty in signalboxes and at stations

Level crossings had to be locked before the train was due and remained locked until it had passed. There was usually a policeman present at all road crossings. Policemen were also stationed on over bridges.

Permanent way gangs and signal technicians had to be present at important junctions to attend to any problem quickly and facing points secured.

The platform where the Royal party was to alight was carefully measured, and a handsignalman positioned where the locomotive was to stop so that the carriage door was precisely opposite the red carpet. 

The train carried four headlamps and two tail lamps. 

Hi, A bit of topic but when I was stationed at a Fire Station (years ago).When there was going to be a Royal visit, and the they were going to fly into the local airport, which was part of our station area certain arrangements were made.

We were told the day before by control, of the visit, time etc.

If I was on duty and was making out the duty sheets,I would put on top of the sheet 'By Royal Appointment.'

A police car and officers were sent to be in attendence at the Station.Car usually was not a normal patrol car, but rumoured to be armed vehicle.

From the time the plane landed, to the time the Royal party was driven out of the station area we were on 'stand down'.

The next station then would be put on 'stand down'. and so on till they reached their final destination.

This means we were not available for any other calls.

Thankfully it never happened but it would have been 'awkward' if we had a 'running call', and a member of the public needed asissatance.

As we could not leave the station whilst the Royals were in the area.

When the Royals left the area we were told by control, and normal duties continued.

When Royalty was in our area and the train was used, it was parked up in the cutting near the Bull's Head pub in Newton Le Willows. Just near is the memorial to William Huskisson who was the first railway casualty killed by Stephenson's "Rocket". The memorial went into some disrepair a few years back and I contacted Railtrack pointing out the importance of that memorial. Not long after it was restored to it's former glory.  https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4550786,-2.5968678,448m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hi

My gandfather on my dad's side who use to work on the GWR in the Slough area. One of his jobs was to G clamp the points leading to the Windsor Line once the path had been set for the Royal Train to either arrive or depart from Windsor. The number of points to be clamped would depend on if the train was departing or arriving from London or Reading direction.

Sarah,

Yes they did. They are telegraphic codes using the names of Railway Training Colleges. The Grove is near Watford and Deepdene is near Dorking. In World War 2 they housed secret Railway Control Headquarters moved out of London because of bombing by the Luftwaffe. At the Grove some of the wooden and prefabricated concrete buildings still had the camoflage paintwork on the outside when I was there in the 1980s!

The railway used telegraphic codes extensively in the days before computers, and a few survived until very recent times. The movement of out of gauge loads was controlled by telegraphic codes which were included in special working notices issued to signalmen.

A few examples -

AJAX - Nothing out of gauge must be allowed on running lines or sidings on both sides of the load. To be signalled by the special "is line clear" signal 2-6-2.

OPPOS - Running lines and/or sidings mentuioned on the right hand side of the load looking in the direction of travel must be clear, and nothing out of gauge must be allowed on the running lines and/or sidings on the left hand side of the load. To be signalled by the special "is line clear" signal 2-6-3.

RIGPAS - No train conveying passengers must be allowed on the running lines and /. or sidings mentioned on the right hand side of the load looking in direction of travel, and nothing out of gauge must be allowed on the eunning lines and/or sidings on both sides of the load. To be signalled by the special "is line clear" signal 2-6-3.

BLOX  - All adjoining lines to be blocked when using crossovers, junctions and running connections.

BLOCSID - The adjoining lines to be blocked when working from running line to siding and vice versa.

GOBI - The following routing must be observed

FABRIC - Must not exceed speed of .................mph at ..................... (Insert speed and mileage where indicated)

There were a couple of dozen different codes covering a host of other conditions.

When four character headcode panels appeared on diesel and electric locomotives the second character for trains carrying out of gauge loads was always X. X was also the second character of all Royal train headcodes too.

• 4 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/7f61fa11a518187924d2d59a896f4506.JPG

Hi All

A project update. Having printed the body in one piece I found that I couldent get a straight line between the chocplate and cream do I split the body at waist level. The above photo shows the upper part painted cream, while the lower part is below, painted brown./media/tinymce_upload/059df33dd0c9e9040bd93c6a2116f569.JPG

The upper part is made in White Natural Versatile Plastic which is usually quite rough and was itended to be a test but after painting in Halfords LADA cream, doesnt lookl too bad when compaired to the Smooth Fine Detail Plastic lower part.

I'll put the two parts together in a couple of hours time as the brown still feels slightly soft. I've also got to find where I left the roof!

/media/tinymce_upload/02f19d4ef816c0aa8b6951b26389b879.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/89bc0bd43b7eea0a90a92e57977657aa.JPG 

Paint dry, so I've clipped the two halfs of the body together. Sadly I cannot find that roof. Just awaiting the underframe as my original had to be redesigned as it fouled the bogies.

Hi LC&DR,

Sadly 3D printing is expensive especially when you add in the cost of postage from Shapeways who are in the Nertherlands where the components are printed. Sadly I also made some mistakes with the underframe (which will need re-printing) and I wion't be 100% sure it will all fit together until I have all the parts. However, the cost so far is as follows:

(a) Two dean 6'4" bogies total £9.32;

(b) Roof £7.92

© Body Lower £20.92

(d) Body upper £11.64

(e) Underframe (currently on order so I do not know if it will work) £6.29

Total cost (less paint, wheels bearings, buffers and couplings) = £46.77

Postage is a flat rate of £5.42 but I did not buy all the components at once so I have paid this three times. However, there were other items in the vaious orders.

Unfortunately the design has not goine smoothely with the failed body costing £24.50 and my first attempt at an underframe costing £7.58. However, the latter is not as bad as it seems as I intend to use the same chassis on a GWR Tadpole (open fish wagon).

Fluctuations in the exchange rate do not help, when the pound drops, the price goes up, for example when I originally developed the bogies they cost around £7.50 for a pair.

My only worry for the future is what Brexit might bring. If I have to start paying customs charges or VAT  (currently I am only charged VAT at source) I will also have to pay the Post Offices' handling fee.

What a great idea. As you said the top does look a bit more knobbly than the bottom. 

Many thanks,

The enlarged photo can be cruel. I am thinking about doing the top of the body in the same fine detailed plastic as the bottom but that will probably cost around £19 to £20, assuming I can get the old top off. It is a very tight snap fit especially with the thickness of paint despite allowing 0.25mm around the clips and locators.

• 3 months later...

/media/tinymce_upload/c18c9614dfff657f8181996351606b24.JPG 

The almost finished result. I just have to Glaze the windows and I am noy entirely happy with the ride height so have developed another set of dean bogies without a central boss whioch sould drop things around 1mm.

I reprinted the top (cream) section of the body in fine detail plastic and it now looks much better. The roof is still printed in versitile plastic but I think the grainey look suits a coach roof.

I will also need to turn the chassis around before sticking it to the body!

My Grandad was an engine driver (he retired in 1959) and was selected on 3 occasions to drive the Royal Train.

The detail required, as stated above was incredible for example, only the best coal is to be used, etc.